DOG LOVERS EVERYWHERE!

Options
This is huge to me, it's a local problem that's been going on for almost five years (different dogs, different families)...

In Ontario, it is illegal to have a Pit bull born after August 2005. (what some people DON'T know.... If you have a dog that resembles a pit bull, ie, boxer, american bull dog, etc... and CAN NOT prove he's not a pit bull... They will put down your dog)

These two families have two sister dogs... They're 75 % boxer and 25 % american bulldog.
But because these two dogs are mixed breeds, they can't prove their not a pit bull (ie, no papers)
Their vet says that they're not pit bulls, but the Brampton animal services... disagrees. Their vet says their pittys, if you look at their faces you can tell... even if they are part pittys, they're mostly boxers.

I'm supporting this family 100 %, I went to a rally this morning and protested outside the animal services.

This is a terrible thing, think of it on a human scale... Isn't this a little similar to Hitler, or... If we had a murdered in OUR family, our family should be killed JUST BECAUSE WE SHARE THE SAME BLOODLINES?! , or if we looked like a terrorist we should be killed / arrested? It's not fair, these dogs had families, there was never a complaint on these dogs, they weren't aggresive and they were snatched from their homes by animal services without a warrent, which is illegal.

Anyways for more info, please see the facebook group.
You can find a petition on their infomation tabs, and really just join... The more the public see's this the better.
Also, people from other countries it'd be great if you joined to, then everyone can see what Canada's Government is doing.
Killing innocent animals, that can not stick up for themselves !

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=278698079924&ref=mf

Replies

• BigdaddyJ
    Options
    that's stupid, i'd take the town to court on that one!!
  • Carleybby
    Options
    They have a lawyer now, and the euthanization has been moved back to an undisclosed date.
    They were to be killed two days ago.

It's heartbreaking, since this has been happening for five years, and on a regular basis, if you read the stories posted on facebook, it happens a lot.
    I honestly didn't think it was like this, or I would have gotten involved earlier, I honestly should have gotten involved much earlier. ):
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    They sell DNA kits that tell you what breeds your dog is. It costs about $60.00.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=TL60XCCPFGKT8JMCWP1B12VH24570S9A&pf_id=0032028
  • itamer
    itamer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's just awful for everyone involved.

If the council back down next time a kid gets hurt/killed (as happens too often in NZ) they'll be vilified for not doing enough. If they don't back down they're destroying good dogs with good owners when we all know that it's bad owners that make the "dangerous breeds" dangerous.

We've just had 2 kids badly hurt in one week down here and nobody can sit by and let that happen but then we also had a massacre of 33 dogs by 2 "vigilantes" sick and tired of their hillbilly neighbour living in a truck with a pack of inbred, unregistered dogs. The outcry in all 3 cases has been intense.

Humans choose to live in communities, en masse in a way nature never intended. In order to make that work we have rules and regulations and sometimes they aren't fair. When bad legislation happens we need to stand up and be counted and it certainly looks like the people of Ontario are doing that. Hopefully there will be a way the dogs can be saved and the law made workable.
  • Carleybby
    Options
    They sell DNA kits that tell you what breeds your dog is. It costs about $60.00.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=TL60XCCPFGKT8JMCWP1B12VH24570S9A&pf_id=0032028

DNA kits don't work, from what I've read with pit bulls.
    This has been brought up, but because pitbulls are a mix from terriers and bull dogs, and there are plenty of differnt dog characteristics, most DNA kits I've looked up, will not work on a pitbull (there is just too many breeds down the line).
  • Carleybby
    Options
    That's just awful for everyone involved.

If the council back down next time a kid gets hurt/killed (as happens too often in NZ) they'll be vilified for not doing enough. If they don't back down they're destroying good dogs with good owners when we all know that it's bad owners that make the "dangerous breeds" dangerous.

We've just had 2 kids badly hurt in one week down here and nobody can sit by and let that happen but then we also had a massacre of 33 dogs by 2 "vigilantes" sick and tired of their hillbilly neighbour living in a truck with a pack of inbred, unregistered dogs. The outcry in all 3 cases has been intense.

Humans choose to live in communities, en masse in a way nature never intended. In order to make that work we have rules and regulations and sometimes they aren't fair. When bad legislation happens we need to stand up and be counted and it certainly looks like the people of Ontario are doing that. Hopefully there will be a way the dogs can be saved and the law made workable.

I can't agree more that it's the owners not the dogs.
    There has also been vets who have commented saying there has been no decrease in the past five years from dog bites.
    If they make pitbulls illegal, they just move onto a new breed vicious, which is one reason why I'm so dedicated to this.
    I have a german shepherd, and they can be bred to be very dangerous... I love my dog, and if they ever banned Shepherds and they took my dog away, I'd want all these people supporting me the same way I have supported them !
    It's bad owners and don't forget... BAD BREEDERS, backyard breeders!
    Breeding aggresive dogs, it's not only the owners... Occasionally... You will have an aggresive dog... BUT THATS WITH ANY BREED.
    My mother has a Shih tzu that weighs 11 lbs... It growls at every dog, kid and adult... and she's treated it right.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options

DNA kits don't work, from what I've read with pit bulls.
    This has been brought up, but because pitbulls are a mix from terriers and bull dogs, and there are plenty of differnt dog characteristics, most DNA kits I've looked up, will not work on a pitbull (there is just too many breeds down the line).

The problem is that "Pitbull" is not a bread persay but more a "category" of dogs....it's opened to interpretation....
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    DNA Kit Helps Dog Owners
    April 21, 2009 08:11 PM CDT

(SIOUX CITY, IA) – It was a case of mistaken identity for one Sioux City family when Animal Control responded to a neighbor’s complaint. Josh Mapes says when Animal Control Officers came by his house, they thought his dog, Zeek, was a pit bull. “From his mom I thought he had some pit in him,” said Mapes, not sure how much pit bull was there.

Since he couldn’t prove Zeek’s blood line, and Zeek wasn’t licensed or micro chipped, Mapes says officers impounded his dog. Not convinced he owned a pit bull, though, Mapes picked up a dog DNA kit to get more information.

The results were surprising. Zeek had no pit bull show up on test results. Mapes says lab was one of his most predominant traits. Because of that information, Mapes was able to keep his dog at home. Animal Control says trait information is important to have on hand, especially for, “anybody that has a bully type breed or it looks like a bully type breed. If they’re concerned and they though that it’s not, but they may be considered one,” explained Cindy Rarrat.

Petsmart in Sioux City sells the $60 kits. You swab the dog’s mouth and mail the kit to the company. Two weeks later, your results are returned. “It was pretty easy,” said Mapes, and definitely worth the time and expense.

Mapes said Animal Control asked to swipe Zeek’s mouth at its office, to ensure the test was on Zeek and not a different dog. Cindy Rarrat says the information is good for all dog owners, to be aware of inherited health or behavioral traits
  • itamer
    itamer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    $60 sounds like a pretty cheap insurance policy... your lawyer would charge that just to answer the phone!

Even if pit bull "isn't a breed" showing all the traits possible would be handy.

As for the German Shepherd comment... when I was a kid we were right into showing Cavaliers (oh how I wanted a big dog!) and the scary dogs of the day were Samoyeds, Shepherds and Dobermans. We'd never heard of Rottweilers or pit bulls. So yes, trends change and if you ban one dog breed the problem owners will breed the characteristics they're looking for into another breed.

Keep us up to date with how the protest goes.
  • Carleybby
    Options
    Hmm, I'll have to check that out.