oranges, oranges everywhere! recipes please

Options
feathertouch
feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
So oranges etc seem to be in season at the moment but all I can think of for them is o eat them as they are or do what I do every year, stick cloves in them and hang them near a radiator to make the house smell all christmasy :) Does anyone have any good recipes that they do with their oranges? I can't imagine them being nice in porridge. I'm a vegan just to make things that little bit more awkward :P

Replies

• sarahnyy51
    sarahnyy51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here's a really yummy smoothie recipe:

Orange Ice Smoothie:
    2 oranges, peeled and seeded
    1 cup almond milk
    3-4 dates, pitted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract or scraping from inside 1/2 vanilla bean

Add a generous scoop of ice and blend until thick and slushy!
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad in the world:

Spinach (2-3 cups) or spring mix (really any green will do)
    Sliced purple onion (to taste)
    An orange (navel, mandarin, etc)
    Rasberries and or sliced strawberries (probable 1/4 cup or maybe 1/2?)
    Couple slices of avocade
    Walnuts or pecans
    A rasberry or strawberry vinegrette (I like Ken's, but I am not sure if it's vegan) You only need a tad bit because the juices from the fruit kind of make their own dressing.

I also add feta or blue cheese crumbles, but you wouldn't do that, of course. My hats off to you for being vegan....I've tried many times!
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    make some sort of upside-down cake or pannicotta or molded gelatin (is that vegan? I think you can make it with fruit pectin...)
    Dip them in chocolate (chocolate covered oranges are wonderful)
    Dry/ dehydrate them, candy them and put in a trail mix
    Cook them down into an orange glaze (not sure what you would use that for since you don't eat meat....) or maybe make orange marmalade if you have the time... might make cool gifts in little jars...
    put them in an asian style salad - shredded cabbage, greens, slice almonds, oranges, red peppers and a sesame dressing....
    sqeeze and make OJ
    put in a fruit salad.....
    sorry if any of these ideas aren't vegan friendly... not really sure
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I top my porridge with pretty much anything. :p
    Try making gingerbread or chocolate flavoured porridge and topping it with sliced orange wedges.