Snack ideas

I've been checking out my food diaries for the past few weeks and I've found that I'm a bit of a sugar-holic! All my snacks seem to be based around cereal bars, dried fruit, chocolate and fresh fruit.

Does anyone have any ideas for healthy snacks which are more protein or wholegrain based? Ideally ones that could be stashed in a desk drawer and aren't too smelly (i.e. boiled eggs might make me unpopular!)

Please don't say 'don't snack'...I'm really not very nice when I'm hungry! :laugh:

Thank you!

Replies

• tornadoladi
    tornadoladi Posts: 7 Member
    i mixed greek yogurt (plain) with some dry herb and garlic salad dressing mix you could use ranch as well and dip 16 generic wheat thins in it. Its a great change. I know yogurt isn't something you can keep in your desk but take a small lunch box with you to keep things cool. You could also put some milk or water in a bottle in the lunch box and have protein mix to drink.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I eat dried seaweed from costco..one pack is only 100 calories..I also eat bananas alot..they are very filling.
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Veggies and hummus or another healthy dip?
    Wholegrain crackers with low fat cheese or again dip or veggies?

But if you snack once a day, having fruit that aint gonna do anything bad to ur body! Try berries, grapefruit, oranges or even babanas - as someone said they are very filling and full of vitamis.

Good luck
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Thanks all...greek yogurt and hummous will be hitting my shopping trolley this weekend!
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Rice cakes are yummy! I love the caramel ones with some peanut butter spread on them!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Boiled eggs dont really smell when they are still in their shell!

Nuts
    Rice cakes, oat cakes, ryvita
    Roast soy beans/ broad beans/ wasabi peas
    Pumpkin seeds
    Cheese (spready triangles, cheese strings, mini babybels)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I keep those little packs of almonds or nuts and individually wrapped chocolate squares(88% cocoa) .... at home I have a banana or greek yogurt.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    I get tiny tins of tuna and packets of crackers. Good for a snack, and can sit in the drawer for weeks if I dont get round to eating them, I find if I bring fruit or carrots or something they dont really keep more than a day or two so I have to bring them from home each day.
  • netgifted
    netgifted Posts: 2 Member
    Rivita toasts with Becel and light havarty cheese. Cereal bars can be more fatty than a can of Cola, mos have tons of sugar. Fruits and nuts are great snacks and there are a few brands of cereal that are OK (read the label for amount of sugars and amount of fiber). 1 gram of fiber (cuts) 1 gram of sugar. If the bar has less than 5 or 6 grams of sugar after you subtract the fiber it's a good snack, otherwise you are getting a bad snack sugar coated by kellogs
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    My fav snacks:

Any fruit! (If you want extra protein/fat, add some natural PB on the side with an apple or banana)
    Carrots
    Celery/cucumber slices with a Laughing Cow wedge
    Fiber One/Nature Valley granola bars
    Greek yogurt
    Protein/nutrition bars (Such as Luna, Nugo, Pure Protein, Clif, etc.)
    100 calorie popcorn pack
    Rice cakes (Caramel is definitely my favorite)
    100 calorie almond pack with a string cheese on the side
    Hard boiled egg
    Veggies/pita chips with hummus

Hope these help a bit! :)
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    thanks everyone. :smile: