Saving calories

Options
I was wondering wether it's ok to save calories for a weekend or a particular day, this week I earned 1000 calories with cardio and a maybe another 600 on top as I was ill I only managed a couple of slices of toast every few hours for one day I was really low on cals that day, anyway Saturday came and I indulged I mean really ate I logged my calories at nearly 3000! But technically I ate my excercise cals and the cals that I missed on the day when I was unwell on top of maintenance is that right? Would this be ok to do on a week basis earn cals by cardio and have them with my calories once a week? Any thoughts would be appreciated x

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I think you're meant to eat excercise cals the same day as you burn them when your metabolisms up. Why don't you try experimenting for a few weeks though and see how much you can get away with? I guess it all comes down to whether your body will let you off with a really naughty day or not
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I think you're meant to eat excercise cals the same day as you burn them when your metabolisms up. Why don't you try experimenting for a few weeks though and see how much you can get away with? I guess it all comes down to whether your body will let you off with a really naughty day or not

save away
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've heard both yes and no to this. However, it seems to work for Weight Watchers. I know someone who lost almost 200 pounds on WW, so... I've also heard the opposite (i.e. eat your calories every day), AND I've heard that calorie zig-zagging works (wouldn't this be a similar idea?).

The problem is that I've heard NONE of this from a reputable source (someone with training, research with facts, etc.).

Sorry for not being of much help.:huh:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I do this, I think its fine, your body doesn't reset itself at midnight. However I think you have to be reasonable about it, make sure you are getting enough food to fuel your body each day, don't eat 200 calories a day during the week so you can gorge yourself at the weekend or whatever.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If it is purely to lose weight, then as long as you are eating an a deficit (eat less than you burn) in the long run, then you're fine.

However, if you are in training (like me), where the goal is to perform well, then banking your calories would not be recommended. In order for me and my muscles to recover well, I should eat within 30 minutes of my workout. If I do an interval run at 8am, where I usually burn around 500-600 calories, I'd eat the first 300 back within 30 minutes of the completion of my workout, and then the next 300 within the next hour to an hour and a half. Right after a workout, my body is the most ready to absorb the nutrients.

ETA: if I banked calories, eg., not eat after today's workout and saving it for the weekend, my workout tomorrow will be horrible.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm a total calorie hoarder. I look at the week as a whole, and then at the day. SO I know I need my days to be at a certain point, but I kinda roll over the excess to the weekend. I don't htink I'll be able to do this forever, but I've been at it for 11 weeks and lost 35 lbs so I'd say it's working for now. Important to note that I had 127lbs to lose when I started so if you only have a few to lose I don't know that this is the best idea, I just know what's been working for me.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a calorie hoarder too. I saved up some calories for thanksgiving. I still went over but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. :)
  • clcontreras0629
    Options
    I am not sure but weight watchers program works that way... I am not sure !!