Should I be concerned?

Options
I recently got my body fat tested by a trainer at the gym using calipers. I was very surprised it was only 11%. Now I've always been thin and have a small frame but last time I had it tested it was 18%. However, that was 9-10 yrs ago and I did weigh about 10 lb more.

I'm concerned because I read women should have 10-15% essential fat and they stop menstruating at 12%. I wouldn't know if I have this issue since I've had the Mirena IUD the past 3.5 years and never get a "normal' period due to that.

Some background on me. I'm 5'7" and weigh around 102 lb or so. I know that's very small but I eat 2000+ cal per day and have been focusing on building muscle, gaining weight for probably the past 9-10 months. I have gained 4-5 lb since I started working out again last Feb. Before I started working out, I was tiny but squishy, like my legs and butt felt soft. I guess skinny fat. I'm certain my fat percentage would've been higher then. Now I have no jiggle on me at all except boobs. I'm still very little but somewhat defined and a lot stronger. I feel healthy and good.

Should I be concerned about the low body fat? The trainer didn't seem worried, he said I have a lot of lean muscle mass for a smaller female. I workout to be fit, gain strength and definition. I don't do cardio. I currently workout 5x a week doing a combo of lifting weights, pilates and yoga.

I've been at a lower than usual weight since I had a child 3.5 yrs ago. That was also around the time I stopped going to the gym regularly. When I was younger, I ate a lot of fast food, drank alcohol yet worked out regularly and maintained a weight of 110-112. I'd like to get back there minus the fast food and alcohol, haha. However, my breast decreased a lot after breast feeding. I used to be a 34C and now I'm a 32A. Maybe that accounts for a lb or 2? Other than my chest, I have the same measurements as I did when I weighed more. I used to be 34-24-34 and now I'm 32-24-34. I see girls on here with similar measurements and they always seem to weigh 15-20 lb more than me. It's confusing.

Anytime I've been to the doctor they always just say I have a fast metabolism and I'm perfectly healthy. I guess I figured it'd be easier to get back to the weight I easily maintained most of my adult life. I don't want to gorge myself on fast food and stop working out to gain some fat. I'd rather eat healthy but is it ok that the percentage is so low? I eat a lot of lean protein, fruit and veggies, whole grains, I love cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts.

Replies

• Keltinator
    Options
    Wow that's tiny... Everyone's different though. I'm no doctor, but if you say you are eating enough food, healthy enough to exercise regularly, and you feel fine, then I don't think there's any reason to worry.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can't really say if you should be concerned or not because I don't know a lot about it. It sounds like it is worrying you a bit so maybe just as a precaution you should have a check up at your doctor's.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough, and your doctor isn't concerned, then I'd say it's fine. Calipers aren't 100% accurate anyway. The most accurate body fat % test is the weird one where they immerse you in water. You may want to eat more, though, depending on your activity level. You need to get up to at least 3000/day if you're trying to bulk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 102? Eat.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about fertility, I'd speak to a doctor.
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    my wife has an iud as well and it jacked her system up too. im a guy and all, but i think its ok. some gals just have that build. if your trying to put weight on try eating more like 2500 cals. your metabolism is fast anyways... your body is grabbing anything to stay going....fat, muscle, everything.

if you cant get that much because its too much food to stuff in your face, supliment with a weight gainer shake. they are high in cals and protein. that should help you reach your goals

good luck
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It probably is something to be concerned over but sounds like you are already doing the right thing (trying to gain while building muscles). Maybe up your calories 200 or so more.
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    Sorry, it posted without me adding additional info so I went back and edited my original post. I make sure to eat a min of 2000 cal a day. Some days I'm anywhere from 2300-2700. If i have a busy day and skip a meal or snacks, I immediately drop 1-2 lb. I've always been that way.

I guess a doctor would know better but I'm wondering if it's birth control related. I was on the pill from the time I was a teen until I got pregnant. I've heard women gain weight on it? My breasts were also a lot bigger. Been wondering if that weight (110 lb or so) wasn't my true weight and causes by hormones or something?

I feel pretty strong and healthy. I can do push ups, hold the plank position on my forearms on regular basis for 3 min, have a lot of core strength. It's just hearing the low percentage really freaked me out. I thought I was on the right track but I think I lost what little fat I had and gained muscle? I wanted to gain muscle but obviously not lose fat. MFP has my cal set to 2010 and that was when I put in that I wanted to gain 1 lb per week. So it needs to be higher you think? When I was younger I stuffed myself with anything and everything and never gained weight. It's frustrating.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is very low and in the unhealthy category. If you really are eating that many Cals and your fit and healthy then I'm sure all is ok and those charts are a little out dated :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The caliper method can be pretty inaccurate, depending on the user, so you may not be that low.

Are you having any health issue like hair thinning, brittle nails or anything like that? When was the last time you saw your doctor?

On the face of it, you are not doing anything wrong - eating a good amount, not doing excessive (or any) cardio, strength training.
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    I'm not really worried about the fertility thing. I don't plan on having another child anytime soon. It just surprised me. When I was 110-112, which is still really little for my height, I always had a normal period, had no issues getting pregnant and having a healthy normal pregnancy. I guess if I still got a normal period I'd feel more normal like I was healthy but due to the IUD I don't. So I don't really know if I still would at this weight.....
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to a doctor and ask them to run a TSH test on you. My sister in law is very thin also, and she cannot gain weight due to her thyroid problem. She has to take medication in order to maintain her thyroid hormones at a healthy level also.

It's best to rule it out if nothing else.

I'd say you could try for +1 lb per week gain and make sure you eat all the workout calories back as well.

Good luck to you!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says you're fine, I would listen to their advice. If you're concerned, it might be worth getting a more accurate body fat analysis test done- a DEXA scan, hydrostatic test, or Bod Pod- and then take the results to your doctor to discuss.

ETA: Prego's TSH test is a good suggestion, too.
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    5'7" and 102? Eat.

Kinda rude. I obviously do eat a good amount and healthy food too, which I explained. I've never in my life restricted my calories at all.
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    I think you should go to a doctor and ask them to run a TSH test on you. My sister in law is very thin also, and she cannot gain weight due to her thyroid problem.

I'd say you could try for +1 lb per week gain and make sure you eat all the workout calories back as well.

Good luck to you!

Hmm....I guess I'm not eating my workout calories back? I have no idea how to track that, I don't do any cardio. But I did put in I wanted to gain 1 lb per week and that I workout 5x a week for 60 min and 2010 cal is the # it gave me. I usually eat more though.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I think you should go to a doctor and ask them to run a TSH test on you. My sister in law is very thin also, and she cannot gain weight due to her thyroid problem.

Good luck to you!

Hmm....I guess I'm not eating my workout calories back? I have no idea how to track that, I don't do any cardio. But I did put in I wanted to gain 1 lb per week and that I workout 5x a week for 60 min and 2010 cal is the # it gave me. I usually eat more though.

Any workouts you do or physical activity can be logged on MFP. MFP, unlike other calorie counters, doesn't account for you activity until you log it, so you should log that and eat those calories on top of the ones you eat just to gain so you replenish the deficit you created by exercising. If you haven't been doing that, then it might explain why you've had trouble gaining.

An alternative method is to change your activity level on MFP to account for your workouts that you do regularly without having to log them individually. This will also raise your required daily calorie intake.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yes you should be concerned. A woman's body fat should be 10% higher than a man. In other words your bodyfat is in the danger zone.

BTW you are underweight and go see your doctor ASAP.

Good luck
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    I've never been a calorie counter until I joined here and I still hate it. I guess I feel like if I eat whenever I'm hungry, which is often, make good healthy food choices, have plenty of energy and strength for my workouts which I really enjoy, why is that not ok because some scale says I have low fat percentage? I honestly don't think I look much different at all than I did when I weighed 10 lb more. Only difference is the boobs, damn breast feeding, haha. Most people would guess I weigh around 10 lb more anyway. My bones don't stick out, my ribs don't show at all. I don't look like a starving runway model, lol.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I've never been a calorie counter until I joined here and I still hate it. I guess I feel like if I eat whenever I'm hungry, which is often, make good healthy food choices, have plenty of energy and strength for my workouts which I really enjoy, why is that not ok because some scale says I have low fat percentage? I honestly don't think I look much different at all than I did when I weighed 10 lb more. Only difference is the boobs, damn breast feeding, haha. Most people would guess I weigh around 10 lb more anyway. My bones don't stick out, my ribs don't show at all. I don't look like a starving runway model, lol.

You certainly don't have to count if you don't want to. MFP is a tool that can be used to achieve whatever goal you like. If you're happy at your current size, and you're healthy, that's okay.

I'd still recommend getting your TSH checked just to rule that out as a problem. If that's fine, and your doctor says you're fine, then it's just up to you what you're most comfortable at.
  • skinnyfit09
    Options
    I guess my main concern is that I have gained weight but I'm certain my fat percentage is actually lower now. It was only 4-5 lb I've gained but when I was a lower weight I could definitely grab some fat on my thighs and other places. Now all I can feel is the muscle. So are my workouts actually counter productive to my efforts to gain? I like the way my body looks so much more now so I'd hate to stop and end up with noodle looking arms and flabby thighs just to have a higher fat percentage. And I'm sure I'd actually lose weight, in the past I've always lost weight when I wasn't going to the gym on a regular basis. I'm weird, I know.