Diet Coke

Options
12346»

Replies

• patrickmjett
    Options
    just thinking about something sweet ups your insulin... so does coke. This will cause a down in blood sugar and could be bad. Also aspartame (diet coke ingredient sweetener) does cause the liver to not be as active.... so the liver is the most important thing when it comes to burning fat... so cutting out sucralose and nutrasweet and aspartame is a good idea. I've also heard that aspartame is broken down to something close to phameldahyde (however you spell that I'm not going to look it up) by your liver and released into your blood stream.

Having said that... if I'm craving a coke I get a diet dr. pepper. I also use the mio water. According to my diet one a day is ok. So I do it when I need to. Good luck.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    just keep in mind that giving your body fake sugar will mess up your insulin response.

"Animal studies have indicated that a sweet taste induces an insulin response in rats.[6] However, the extension of animal model findings to humans is unclear, as human studies of intragastric infusion of sucralose have shown no insulin response from analogous taste receptors.[7] The release of insulin causes blood sugar to be stored in tissues (including fat). In the case of a response to artificial sweeteners, because blood sugar does not increase there can be increased hypoglycemia or hyperinsulinemia and increased food intake the next time there is a meal. Rats given sweeteners have steadily increased calorie intake, increased body weight, and increased adiposity (fatness). [6] Furthermore, the natural responses to eating sugary foods (eating less at the next meal and using some of the extra calories to warm the body after the sugary meal) are gradually lost.[8]" - Wikipedia

Personally, I was also "addicted" to diet soda. I made a choice to switch to LaCroix for the carbonation, within a few months I didn't crave the carbonation or the taste anymore. Now it tastes gross to me! I'd rather have some life giving water :flowerforyou:

Also I fart so much when I have soda now, and my stomach hurts from the pressure. I don't think humans should be consuming carbonated beverages (or anything carbonated) imho!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert. I know the aspartame is bad, and yadda yadda, stuff you probably already know. But I think I also heard that it's only bad if you drink Diet Soda like it's water. If you drink one every day or every other, I don't think it'll hurt too too much.

BUT in terms of the question. I have heard it doesn't cause weight gain or hinder weight loss. Yes it has some sodium in it, but it has about as much sodium as some other things have naturally. I'm sure if you drank 10 a day you need water, and I'd say try drinking maybe a glass of water after the soda. But I have read other people who said diet coke does not stop them from losing weight.

If you ever want to try though, there are some flavored bubbly waters that are pretty good. Ice is one brand, and I forgot the other I got from Acme, but it was a watermelon flavored water. Fixed my sweet and carbonated tooth all in one. But once every now and then I still stop and get my diet coke with lime!
  • LMG130
    LMG130 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's pure chemicals. I get the draw to it, but honestly, if I'm going through all this effort to make myself a healthier person, why would I want to dump a can of chemicals back into my body?

But as with anything unhealthy - moderation is key!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    For all those concerned with sodium: you do realize that 8oz of diet coke has 30mg of sodium. That's extremely low. 100 grams of celery as 80mg of sodium.
  • texastango
    Options
    I have heard mixed reviews. I really don't like it.. but need the caffeine and like the carbonation! I am a Coca-Cola girl.

BUT what I am asking is... Does it hinder the weight loss? Do I need to drink 3489483 gallons of water after drinking one so I can knock out that possible water gain from all the sodium? OR is it wonderful and counts as drinking AIR?

Does this make any sense? I hope so! :wink:

Quick Wiki quote: (ps fountain drinks diet coke contain some saccharin). It's been shown that consuming drinks with some artificial sweeteners actually lead to weight gain (not by consuming the drink itself ...ie the sodium and water retention) but because they don't theoretically stimulate insulin or leptin secreation....so we don't feel full and we eat more. The exact mechanism is not understood to the best of my knowledge.

From Wiki:

Upon ingestion, aspartame breaks down into residual components, including aspartic acid, phenylalanine, methanol,[26] in ratio of 4:5:1 by mass[27] and further breakdown products including formaldehyde[28] and formic acid, accumulation of the latter being suspected as the major cause of injury in methanol poisoning. Human studies show that formic acid is excreted faster than it is formed after ingestion of aspartate. In some fruit juices, higher concentrations of methanol can be found than the amount produced from aspartame in beverages.[13]

High levels of the naturally-occurring essential amino acid phenylalanine are a health hazard to those born with phenylketonuria (PKU), a rare inherited disease that prevents phenylalanine from being properly metabolized. Since individuals with PKU must consider aspartame as an additional source of phenylalanine, foods containing aspartame sold in the United States must state "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine" on their product labels.[29]

In the UK, foods that contain aspartame are legally required by the country's Food Standards Agency to list the substance among the product's ingredients and carry the warning "Contains a source of phenylalanine" – this is usually at the foot of the list of ingredients. Manufacturers are also required to print '"with sweetener(s)" on the label close to the main product name' on foods that contain "sweeteners such as aspartame" or "with sugar and sweetener(s)" on "foods that contain both sugar and sweetener".[30]

In Canada, foods that contain aspartame are legally required by the country to list the substance among the product's ingredients and include a measure of the amount of aspartame per serving. As well, labels must state that the product contains phenylalanine – this is usually in the order of ingredients, contained in brackets.[31]
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Also aspartame (diet coke ingredient sweetener) does cause the liver to not be as active....

Can you cite a source on that? Only asking because this one is new to me.
    aspartame is broken down to something close to phameldahyde (however you spell that I'm not going to look it up) by your liver and released into your blood stream.

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid with methanol as a digestive byproduct. Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine are amino acids found in common foods.

Methanol can cause accumulation of formate, but in terms of diet soda, you're talking about a dose of several hundred cans of it in one dose. A banana will contribute more methanol than a can of diet soda, and you don't see people concerned about formaldehyde toxicity from eating bananas.
  • wenz1987
    Options
    huge Diet Coke fan myself...but have definitely cut back once I heard certain studies showed it can actually make you hungrier! like I need any help there... but have a hard time passing up a fountain Diet Coke when Im out. From a caffeine perspective, try Vivarin. its a 'caffeine alertness aid', and sold over the counter ( I get it at CVS). Now, try a half of one first. Im so immune to caffeine anymore that I can take an entire pill and it only takes the edge off, but diet soda wont work for me that way. Vivarin has 200mg caffeeine, supposdely equivalent to a cup of coffee. Good luck! everything in moderationi, right?:smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have heard mixed reviews. I really don't like it.. but need the caffeine and like the carbonation! I am a Coca-Cola girl.

BUT what I am asking is... Does it hinder the weight loss? Do I need to drink 3489483 gallons of water after drinking one so I can knock out that possible water gain from all the sodium? OR is it wonderful and counts as drinking AIR?

Does this make any sense? I hope so! :wink:

no. diet coke will not make you gain weight -

It also wont turn you into an alien or make your babys come out as mutants, believe it or not.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of people saying it will give you cancer....
    IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED...NOT TRUE!!!!!

It's like anything else...Yes if you drink only that,12 times a day...Yea, it will probably make you sick for some other reason.
    Too much is never good anyway....But they were saying that eating also too much Broccoli will give you too much iron etc...
    This goes on and on and on....

Is water better...Damn right but will it make you sick or not lose weight since it's diet...Naaaaaaaaah!

Anyway it's my opinion....

I don't think anything has been confirmed and proven or disproven................yet. They are working on it.

A study that is being released in the Americal Journal of Clinical Nutrition............

Study: Soda raises prostate cancer risk

CNN) - According to a study to be published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, drinking a soda a day can increase a man's risk of getting prostate cancer by 40 percent.

MOREAdditional Links
    In the study, Swedish scientists tracked more than 8,000 men over 15 years.

That higher risk was for a later-stage form of the cancer, discovered through symptoms rather than the PSA screening test.

The study compared those drinking 11 ounces of a soft drink a day -- an ounce shy of the standard can -- with people who didn't drink any sodas.

The study also linked heavy consumption of sugary breakfast cereal, rice and pasta to a greater risk of developing a milder form of prostate cancer.

Copyright 2012 CNN. All rights reserved.
  • LaceyMorley
    Options
    Uh, I'll take my advice from the guy that's lost 311 POUNDS. Thank you very much!

^^ Uhh, what he said. That's an amazing stat! Good for you!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke! I absolutely love it! It has been my beverage of choice for over 20 years!:drinker:

But, sadly, I had to give it up due to health reasons....:sad:

The artificial sweeteners caught up with me...:cry:

I have been Diet Coke free for 2 weeks... the first week was terrible, but now I am in the zone and doing fine without it.:smile:
  • LaceyMorley
    Options
    I love how my brother always points to my artificially sweeten drinks and says "You know those will give you cancer" as he puffs on his cigarettes.
    (he's being facetious, of course)
    We all have vices and I think of all the vices in the world, diet coke is pretty harmless.