Elliptical Question

Options
The machines says that I have burned 250 calories and MFP say that for twenty minutes it should be 318 which one is right or close to being right?

Replies

• BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Dont't trust the HRM on the machine, I dont know why they put them on there, all they do is misslead people! I use this calorie counter until I get to by my own personnal HRM, wich is the best way to go.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/tools_and_calculators/calorie_burn_tool

It's better than the one off this site, and also more user friendly

Good Luck!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    MFP says for 40 minutes i should burn 414 calories and shape says i would burn 241 i wonder which one is true!!!! Im buying a Elliptical tonight that comes with a heart rate built in and now im wondering how do i know what i'll be burning...
  • Bairdy1990
    Options
    Let me know what you discover, I have been trying to figure it out because shape number is way different then the machine which is totally different then MFP, MFP has the most information as in weight, height, age etc.... so I wonder if they figure that all in to the equation??????
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    MFP is user based tho, a lot of info doesn't match...
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Best way to know what you're burning is to buy/use a HRM. You can find decent ones for as little as $40.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I got myself a cheap HRM from walmart for $28. For some of the machines, I had to subtract 20% of the calories the machine said I burned to get the number on the HRM>>>i wasn't heartbroken because that was information I had gotten in the beginning. On other machines, I burn more. You input your height, weight, age, etc. and I feel like I have a pretty accurate finding. But the info here is input by people with a lot of factors different from mine-yeah, we do the same activity, but if you weigh 150 lbs., you'll burn less than I do....on the other hand, if you weigh more than I do, you'll be burning more than me. I feel pretty confident with my cheap hrm, and when it dies, i'll go back to subtracting 20% off the machine totals, lol.
  • Bairdy1990
    Options
    HRM+ heart rate monitor does it work how often do you wear it?
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I just did an hour of intervals on the Precor Elliptical (commercial grade), the heart rates measured the same but when done the elliptical said 654 and my Polar F11 HRM said 435. Huge difference!! I am sooo glad I got one, I never do anything without so I know exactly how much I can eat!!!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I wear mine every time I do any kind of exercise I want to account for in my day. I've worn i playing the wii, hiking, and at the gym. I'd wear it swimming, but mine's cheap and not waterproof, lol. I'm happy with it, and once I saw the actual variance between the machines and my hrm I realized I had kind of been sabotaging myself by assuming I was really burning all those calories the machine told me. I am trying my hardest and want to make sure I have the best possible informaton to make the best possible decisions.