Kettlebell Workout

Options
2»

Replies

• WinwillLose
    Options
    I have been doing kettle bell at my gym for some time....sore muscle warning. No matter how you have been working out you will feel the kettle bell workout in the morning. Jillian Michael's and The firm both have one I've used before venturing to the class. I was still sore after the class, but it's an amazing workout...both cardio and strength.

What ever you do, start with a lighter weight and focus on form you first few times. Then go for it an increase your weight. I love it, and have been doing it two to three times a week for several months.
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump for later viewing!! thx :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just kettlebell swings alone, if done properly, will exercise almost every muscle on the back of your body. Great, great exercise.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is what my husband uses. He watched videos online for each swing type and then put together this rotation.. He does it 3 times in about 30 minutes.

Basic Kettlebell Drill

(20) 1 Arm Swings (10 each side)
    (10) Windmills (5 each side)
    (20) One Arm Cleans (10 each side)
    (20) Military Presses (10 each side)
    (20) Hand to Hand Swings
    (20) One Arm Rows (10 each side)
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Look into Lauren Brooks DVDs. She also has a blog; kbellqueen.blogspot.com
    I have two separate DVDs with multiple workouts on both, love them and so does my husband.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell swings, and half dead lifts. So great for your back, shoulders, triceps, lats, and your hams glutes.

If you do the swings with proper form, they're great for abs too! I don't do any crunches whatsoever. I just rely on strong form.

kettlebell-swings.jpg
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have just done a post on Kettleworx its by someone called Ryan Shanahan. He does some great workout dvds - worth a look.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have used Lauren Brooks - she has some great stuff - especially for learning. I just started using an iPhone app - Samuel Pont Kettlebell Strength training - it is fairly advanced though, because everything is done with 2 kettlebells. My 2 25 pounders are probably a little too heavy for me starting out on this new routine, but I'll just do fewer reps until I can handle all the reps with good form. Kettlebells are expensive - so you don't want too many! I started kettlebells with one 15 lb bell, then added a 25 and then another 25 so I can do both sides at once.
  • ambermeghan
    Options
    bump
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I like Bob Harper's Kettlebell Cardio Shred.

Where to start depends on your fitness level, IMO, and also be advised that kettlebell workouts will work new muscles. I started with a 12lb kettlebell and I don't consider myself to be "weak" e.g. I was doing full-press pushups (like a set of 15-20 at a time, nothing tremendous) before I started using kettlebells and have been a regular runner for a long time, and the workouts still kicked my butt for a while. I'm definitely ready to move up to a 15lb bell now, though. Have been ready for quite some time, actually, just haven't ponied up the $$ to buy another one. :)
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Please don't get Kettleworx or at least read mega reviews first then make your decision.
    They do not teach or practice proper form and there isn't any fluidity in the routine...you're up you're down you're back up again.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Almost nobody performs KB swing-based movements correctly. In the year I've been at my current gym I've yet to see one person do a proper swing, even while under the supervision of a "trainer". The problem is that done incorrectly, KB's can really mess up your back.

This guy has it right
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ng3_TNsCR8

Just remember, your hips drive the kettlebell, not your shoulders.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I agree on the form thing. There's a lot of sloppy s**t out there. Leave "celebrity" rubbish like Jillian or Bob well alone for kettlebells.

Check out Skogg's videos for the hip drive. He's a form monster when it comes to hips! The "Art of Strength" stuff is good also.... that guy has good breakdowns of the basic movements on some of his DVD's.....
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love Lauren Brooks dvd's. I have Ultimate Sculpting & Conditioning Volumes 1 and 2 as well as Kettlebell Lightning. I also have a 4 disc set from Sarah Lurie that I like as well (though I haven't used all 4). I started with a 10 lb bell because I had never tried doing any strength exercises. That weight was too light. I then went to a 15 lb bell and have since progressed to 18 and 25 lb bells. I mostly use the 25 lb bell but I still use the 18 for overhead work.

I do not have any gyms near me so I have not been able to train with someone for proper form. When I first started, I rounded my back during an overhead swing and really hurt my back. It took about a week to be normal again. Good luck and have fun!
  • NikoM5
    Options
    I do kettlebell swings, and half dead lifts. So great for your back, shoulders, triceps, lats, and your hams glutes.

If you do the swings with proper form, they're great for abs too! I don't do any crunches whatsoever. I just rely on strong form.

kettlebell-swings.jpg

This picture is good example of how NOT to perform a swing. The forward motion of the bell is driven by the hips. You can see in the second image that his hips are not forward enough to drive the bell to it's position in that image. He's using his shoulders too much. He also ends with the bell a bit too high likely due to shoulder involvement.
  • NikoM5
    Options
    This is what my husband uses. He watched videos online for each swing type and then put together this rotation.. He does it 3 times in about 30 minutes.

Basic Kettlebell Drill

(20) 1 Arm Swings (10 each side)
    (10) Windmills (5 each side)
    (20) One Arm Cleans (10 each side)
    (20) Military Presses (10 each side)
    (20) Hand to Hand Swings
    (20) One Arm Rows (10 each side)

I like it! Does he ever do Turkish get-ups or Renegade rows? Those would really round out his routine nicely!
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a 10lb one. Is that about average for these DVD's or do I need heavier ones? I haven't done anything except swings and I would love to try more!

I just finished up with a 5 week kettlebell class. I'm a 6' female, but quite overweight and definitely not fit! Started with a 15lb bell, by week 5 I was using a 45lb bell for some exercises (and a 35 and 25 as well). Definitely get a heavier one, it makes you feel like a bad *kitten*!!