Heart Rate

Options
So according to the Mayo Clinic heart rate calculator I went well over my maximum target heart rate today while working out. Am I harming myself by doing this? I was only over my maximum target rate for about 10 min.. Last thing I want to do is keel over trying to make myself more healthy.
Thing is my workout felt good today, I wanted to go faster and longer than what I was previously.. So, need advise on if I should slow down once I hit my max "safe" calculation or if I should keep pushing to archive a better calorie burn?

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I stopped using heart rate monitors because they persistently told me I was in danger of having a heart attack when I was exercising because my heart rate was so high. That was 6 years ago. I'm still here.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    p.s. If you're worried ask your doctor.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    p.s. If you're worried ask your doctor.

I would but...
    A. I do not want to spend 40 bucks,
    B. My Doctor left me..
    About 2 years ago she announced she was moving out of state and just like that she was gone. My next visit to that office I had a totally rude doctor that barely spoke understandable English, the only thing I got out of the visit was that I was too fat.. (I knew that)

But yes, I need to find a good new doctor and make sure I am safe to be doing what I am for the sake of being healthy again.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    In that case I would just go with what your body tells you. If you feel faint at any point it's time to stop.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to maximum heart rates.

Tables and general recommendations are based on a data point (e.g. 220-age) that can vary by 25-30 beats/min and still be "normal" (Just like someone 6'7" tall is "normal" even though they are a ways from "average").

In the absence of any symptoms (inappropriate shortness of breath, dizziness, heart palpitations) or a sudden increase to an extremely high rate, an elevated HR response to exercise is likely just your "normal".

Pay attention to perceived exertion (specifically breathing) and let that be your guide. Observe your heart rate response to different levels of exertion and learn your own pattern of HR response to exercise.

Ignore all heart rate tables and standard boilerplate "recommendations".
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start coaching a new athlete, I always tell them:
    For the first month, do your normal workouts and just see what your heart rate does. Don't try to raise or lower your heart rate specifically until you know how yours responds (unless you want to go through some pretty intense testing, which really should have a doctor's supervision)

You can learn a lot just by watching it (and even more if you can download and analyze it)
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good advise everyone. Thank You all for the help. I am not feeling so worried about it now!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    In that case I would just go with what your body tells you. If you feel faint at any point it's time to stop.

I live by this idea, and so far, I'm still alive.

I often see recommendations to not exceed 80% of your max heart rate. My generically-calculated max is 193, so 80% is 154.. if I'm on an elliptical, I usually average into the low 160s for the duration, and often times that duration is 20-60 minutes.. I don't really feel a significant change personally until I hit about 174, so *shrug*