Celiac Disease ?

Options

Replies

• larsenfam
    larsenfam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I felt So much better after being really strick about being gluten free. You can not be gluten free-ish. It is all in or nothing. I didn't amazingly good until I saw a nutritionist and she took me off of every grain. The weight started coming off quickly then. I feel a thousand % better now. It is not as difficult as you first think. Most restaurants have a salad with a chicken on it with a vinegarette.

If you do get tested, you can not go into the test gluten free. It won't show anything. Eat gluten until you get tested.
    On the other hand, if you are positive, you will give up gluten. You might just want to try it for a couple of weeks. You will know right away if it helps. I do think it takes a while for your body to really heal once you stop the gluten. That is why you can not have any gluten.

Gluten is even in makeup and some lotions. It depends on how sensitive you are.
    Good luck!!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    they use wheat in styling products for sticking power. It is a binder and a thickening agent in food as well as other items. Back to being gluten intolerant or celiac... as I have not taken the DNA test I cannot call myself a Celiac. Only a DNA test makes that name change. I have all the symptoms of a Celiac and it is in my family but that is the rule. I refer to myself as severely gluten intolerant out of respect to the Celiac community.

The current stats that I have heard in the last year is that 1 out of every 100 people are Celiacs and 1 out of 23 are gluten intolerant or sensitive. A lot of people suck down energy drinks to combat fatigue and complain of stomach issues. After 6 months of getting off gluten, my stomach problems are nonexistent. My fatigue/insomnia is gone. My depression is gone. My skin cleared up.

Is this the answer for everyone, no. But honestly it is really really easy to figure it out by not eating gluten. Stick to meat and veggies and you are good to go. Stay away from processed foods. If you need pasta get the GF kind. It is super yummy and my Mom even switched over because she says they taste better. You can find this pasta at most grocery stores. I get mine at Wal Mart. Soy sauce is something to watch out for and all sauces. La Choy is gf if you are dying for some. It is simple and not as pricey as people make it out to be. No McDonalds or Taco Bell type places but you couldn't pay me to eat at those places anyways.

Good luck and try it and see. There is no harm in changing your diet. If you need tips or advice, message me. ***Toothpaste is another item that can get you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt to test it out! :)
    My brother's been that way as well, and we've recently started going gluten free and he's been feeling a lot better.

I read a book on it, and gluten is so so so bad for you.
    Humans have been eating gluten for thousands of years, care to explain scientifically how it's suddenly bad for you? I mean, I can write and publish a book talking about how dangerous and unhealthy water is for you, that doesn't mean it's true.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have only heard of gluten and Celiac's disease when Jenny McCarthy talked about it in her book when her son overcame autism from following a GF diet. Now it seems like alot of people suffer from gluten in some shape or form.

I understand that there's alot of misconception about gluten and how it mimics other ailments (ie gastritis, gallbladder disease, pancreatis, GERD). Sure a blood test is simple to do but not practical for many people (especially who don't carry insurance).

I like the fact that potatoes and rice don't have gluten (those are really the only carbs I eat). :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have only heard of gluten and Celiac's disease when Jenny McCarthy talked about it in her book when her son overcame autism from following a GF diet. Now it seems like alot of people suffer from gluten in some shape or form.

I understand that there's alot of misconception about gluten and how it mimics other ailments (ie gastritis, gallbladder disease, pancreatis, GERD). Sure a blood test is simple to do but not practical for many people (especially who don't carry insurance).

I like the fact that potatoes and rice don't have gluten (those are really the only carbs I eat). :)
    Has there been anyone more ignorant of scientific health issues than Jenny McCarthy? I don't think so.
    She wins boob of the decade for more than 2 reasons.
  • atamrowski
    Options
    Has there been anyone more ignorant of scientific health issues than Jenny McCarthy? I don't think so.
    She wins boob of the decade for more than 2 reasons.

While that might be true of the aforementioned, it doesn't discount that changing the way an autistic child eats doesn't improve their symptoms.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'll just say, be wary of confirmation bias. It could also very easily be that you being overweight is causing all of your problems. Aches, pains, digestive issues, and fatigue are all also symptoms of being overweight. If you suspect a disease, get tested, but be aware, gluten intolerance and celiac disease honestly only affect maybe 10% of the global population (yes, I know there are websites that say it affects just about everyone, but those are biased sites trying to push an agenda.)
    This! I had many of the same issues that you had. I also thought gluten and many other things were the problem. Once I started losing weight, my problems went away.

Yep, me too.

Once I started eating clean-er, eating less, and exercising, my digestive issues disappeared, fatigue went away, and many of the aches and pains did as well. My husband will also tell you I don't snore any more, either (Ha. Like I ever did. Pfft.).

Celiac can be a very, very serious issue, and if you think you may have it, get the biopsy test done. I know a family with two kids who are seriously affected, and another woman who wasn't diagnosed until her late 30's who has some horrible, irreparable damage from it.
  • atamrowski
    Options
    If gluten is so "bad" for people, why is it an ingredient in so many foods and non-food items? SMH
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If gluten is so "bad" for people, why is it an ingredient in so many foods and non-food items? SMH

It's cheap and in the US it's highly subsidized (as in corn, which you will also find in almost everything.) http://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&progcode=wheat
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Celiac Disease & Gluten Intolerance are tricky, and Celiacs is actually hard to diagnose. I'll never get tested because I'll never eat wheat again and that's the only accurate way to get a diagnosis. I've had a lifetime of problems, and when I stopped eating wheat, they all disappeared within two weeks. Hives, cystic acne, chronic constipation (we're talking a month or more when I went vegetarian), colitis, chronic fever of unknown origin, malabsorption leading to severe anemia and osteoporosis at 30 (helped by the depo shot), severe chronic congestion, constant stomach pains, bloating of up to 10 pounds in a day, depression, fatigue, almost-daily migraines, lactose-intolerance symptoms, and an extraordinarily weak immune system. I also would get bloody scabs in my hair and a rash along my hairline that disappeared when I switched to gluten-free shampoo and conditioner. I also recently had gall bladder disease with subsequent removal and thyroid problems, both of which are linked to long-term untreated celiacs. Nowadays, I have a "countdown" of symptoms after the smallest amount of wheat ingestion. I can peg it hour by hour, day by day from the moment of ingestion. And no, I didn't test positive for a wheat allergy. And yes, it took 25 years of doctor's visits and $10,000s to figure out what was really going on. I'm so glad I don't have to take 10+ medications a day anymore, though my malabsorption symptoms still seem to linger a bit and I have to supplement but not as heavily as before.

For those that say that this a fad intolerance, it's really not. Most of the world survives on "non-wheat" flours and other staples, like rice, so gluten exposure elsewhere would be minimal, as would diagnoses (who gets a colon biopsy for no reason?). In the world, only European-based foods (on which American food is based) are really heavy on the wheat, with some notable exceptions; Northern Indian cuisine, for example, uses a lot of wheat, but it's not the only flour readily used. With that in mind, the best of my "gluten-free" products are imported from Europe. If it wasn't historically common over there, they wouldn't have such a vast assortment of quality products for it. Remember Marat who was constantly bathing to reduce the inflammation of his skin? Hypothosized to have celiacs. Also, I'm almost certain my German mother had it but she died at 52 after years of battling with anemia and chronic fatigue so we'll never know for sure. Cures for pernicious anemia (which I was diagnosed with years before actually getting a doctor to say that I had "celiacs") abounded in the late 1800's/early 1900's which indicates to me that malaborption issues were common. I may be going out on a limb but celiacs looks like it could be a prime culprit. Just because historically a disease has not had a name attached to it does not mean it didn't exist prior to the naming of the disease. "Inflammation of the bowels" is no longer something we'd see on a death certificate. We have more accurate terms now.

So sorry for the tirade! It's just that I went through so much pain, $$, and false diagnoses to get my real if "unsubtantiated by biopsy" diagnosis of celiacs, that I can't help but feel it is under-diagnosed. And really, will 2 weeks without wheat harm anyone?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, because wheat is the only source of gluten... Spelt, barley, rye, some rices, pretty much any cereal grain will have a form of gluten.
  • mightymac
    mightymac Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you can be tested for coeliacs, but you have to be eating gluten when tested, a simple blood test, then if postive they look into it more. Gluten intolerence is not the same as coeliacs, my dad was diagnosed as a coeliac 10 yrs ago, his brother, neice and great nephew all have it, crossing fingers that we haven't got it. i also know someone who is gluten intolerent but does not have coeliacs.
  • lzygrl
    lzygrl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I were diagnosed with Coeliac Disease this year. It took 10 years to correctly diagnose my daughter who was sick from almost day dot, now 6 months on a GF diet we have noticed a lot of positive changes in how she feels and her thyroid numbers have also improved greatly. However it has been through trail and error that we have discovered that we are also unable to eat rice and corn which are known to be gluten free. It just how it is for us.

Gluten intolerance and Coeliac Disease are two different things as others have said.

I will say, on a personal note, I suffered many symptoms for many years, some of which you have mentioned, before I found out what was wrong. Whether or not you reduce or cut out gluten in your diet is your choice. I don't see much harm in taking a month or two to experiment, see how you feel gluten free and possibly even grain free and going from there.

Best of luck in what ever you choose to do.
  • Sdekar
    Options
    After years with experiencing very similar symptoms, my GP told me I was crazy after treating me for acid reflux, heartburn with no resolution. . I decided to go to a Gastroenterologist. After talking she felt over 90% sure it was Celiac but confirmed with endoscopy and colonoscopy. As soon as I removed gluten I felt a 100% better. At that time (6yrs ago) it wasn't common and barely touched on in medical school. Now there are tons of options. I found the Gluten Free Bible to be the best book to start with. It is important to get these tests because you can rule out other issues which could be way worse. To be honest I still 'cheat' every once in a while and don't have long lasting affects. Good luck!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have had similar symptoms as all of you, but part of it was an intolerance to my generic (dyes, etc) meds...I was tested for gall bladder issues and have been diagnosed with overactive gallbladder, then after an endoscopy I found out I had minor gastritis...when I started adjusting my meds, the stool problem I have had for 10 years corrected itself, and I started to feel better...however since the night before Thanksgiving when I ate some fresh french bread from Walmart, and I've been sick ever since....I have a DR appt Wed so I'm going to ask her for the test or refer me to an allergist...whatever I can get her to do...good luck to you all...

hello, I'm back...went to the DR today and she agreed...we did a blood test for Celiac...will let you know how it goes....she said it would be awhile before the results came back
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    they use wheat in styling products for sticking power. It is a binder and a thickening agent in food as well as other items. Back to being gluten intolerant or celiac... as I have not taken the DNA test I cannot call myself a Celiac. Only a DNA test makes that name change. I have all the symptoms of a Celiac and it is in my family but that is the rule. I refer to myself as severely gluten intolerant out of respect to the Celiac community.

The current stats that I have heard in the last year is that 1 out of every 100 people are Celiacs and 1 out of 23 are gluten intolerant or sensitive. A lot of people suck down energy drinks to combat fatigue and complain of stomach issues. After 6 months of getting off gluten, my stomach problems are nonexistent. My fatigue/insomnia is gone. My depression is gone. My skin cleared up.

Is this the answer for everyone, no. But honestly it is really really easy to figure it out by not eating gluten. Stick to meat and veggies and you are good to go. Stay away from processed foods. If you need pasta get the GF kind. It is super yummy and my Mom even switched over because she says they taste better. You can find this pasta at most grocery stores. I get mine at Wal Mart. Soy sauce is something to watch out for and all sauces. La Choy is gf if you are dying for some. It is simple and not as pricey as people make it out to be. No McDonalds or Taco Bell type places but you couldn't pay me to eat at those places anyways.

Good luck and try it and see. There is no harm in changing your diet. If you need tips or advice, message me. ***Toothpaste is another item that can get you.

wondering...how do I know if it is in my toothpaste?
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I removed grains this summer to help with my weight. What I found was that the pain in my hip (had it off and on for 7 years, including at a lower weight) had disappeared. So has the "Bible Bump" on my wrist. Both went away before I lost any amount of weight. I do feel that wheat can cause inflammation, or make it worse.

As to the autism, read "Autism Revolution" where diet is ONE part of treating people with autism, including getting rid of wheat and dairy. (Supplements and therapies are also part.) "Wheat Belly" is another book that is a good read. Just be aware that eliminating wheat is not the end all/be all cure for everyone. It does help enough people to be significant.

Personally, other than eating out or at friend's houses, it has not been hard for me to eliminate wheat. Not that I am so sensitive as some where having it in a sauce would make me sick. Eating out is really choice for me most of the time - the Nan at the local Indian restaurant is REALLY good, but if I had real digestive issues I could leave it in the bowl and pick other things that would be better for me.
  • cindysisofo
    Options
    Was your family told that celiac disease is hereditary? I tested positive through a biopsy after suffering with symptoms of GERD and Gallbladder disease being ruled out. My son has suffered with eczema and severe constipation. When he was 3 years old, he tested POSITIVE for a wheat allergy after chronic ear infections, followed a wheat free diet for a year, and ear infections subsided. I am wondering if I should have him tested.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    Best of luck. I was diagnosed with coeliac last January. I had 3 positive blood tests, but they couldn't confirm by biopsy because I was too sick on the gluten challenge to continue and it was considered dangerous. I have Crohns disease and had been on an elimination diet to find out which foods made me flare up - gluten was the worst, and I couldn't reintroduce it without being very very sick. Because of the positive blood tests I am now "assumed" to be coeliac and treated as a coeliac.

there is a spectrum though of gluten sensitivity, with sensitivities at one end of it and full coeliac at the other end. You can be gluten sensitive without having coeliac, and may still benefit from a gluten free diet even if it's not coeliac, or at least wheat free.
    The wheat we eat today is not what our grandparents would have eaten - it's dwarf wheat, quick growing, a lot of it GM, laden with pesticides and preservatives etc. Some people are terribly intolerant to wheat but can tolerate rye and barley, or even spelt, which is an ancient form of wheat.

Personally I'm not a fan of eating grains anyway, i don't think any of them are that good for you and there are better foods out there to get your nutrition from. But that's JMO!
  • healthyfitglutenfreebug
    Options
    My advice for what it's worth would be to get tested before you eliminate wheat and get a diagnoises.

I am a celiac and i have been gluten free for 4.5 years. I suffered with stomach pain, vomitting, constant diarrhea, aching joints, painful skin, fatigue, head aches and confusion. But i didn't really know that what I was feeling wasn't normal.

Took me awhile to get my head around eating right had many incidents of eating gluten. I am now on a gluten free diet and triple check all food. in the rare times i have accidentaly consumed gluten the effects have been worse than ever. I don't use any products that contain gluten.

After taking a year off work and learning what to eat and working out daily, I feel 10 times better BUT i still don't feel 100% it takes a long time for your body to heal from years of consuming gluten.

It is not a hype or a new fad, for people with Celiac Diseases it's a life long commitment.

Best of luck to you I hope that you don't have it. But if you do it really isn't the end of the world, you can make almost anything with gluten free substiutes and you soon forget what real pizza etc tastes like.