How effective is..

Options
Incline walking? Say an incline of 15 at 7.5mph. I know it burns a lot of calories but do you get the same weight loss effects as running from it?

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I found I lost more from incline walking then running. (Running gave me major knee problems unfortunately so had to stop even tho I liked it) I found that it gave me a better leg workout then running too (maybe b/c you are pulling your body weight up at an angle? Who knows lol could have just been my imagine too I guess :P)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If I had my treadmill set to 7.5 mph, I would be running. . . fast! I set mine to 10.5% incline, and go about 3.7 mph. According to the computer, the calorie burn is much better with the incline. I do feel that my legs have gotten stronger and that I have generally become more fit.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to walk 7.5 mph? That's getting close to sprinting for me
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm at a loss wondering how moving up a 15% grade at 7.5 mph could be considered walking....

Whatever you call it, sounds like great exercise. I would vary the incline and the speed as much as possible, maybe throw in some intervals of higher/lower intensity.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think you might mean 7.5km/ hour which is what a lot of gym machines measure in for speed. Mine does anyway.
    I cannot imagine anyone being able to remain at a walking pace at that speed, just not possible. I am very tall and even I start running at about 8km/hour or 6mph.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I used to do all my running on treadmill at varying inclines & speeds. Works very well, however it has stuffed my knees so would advise caution.