Help! Couch to 5K week 3 eating at a deficit

Options
I don't seem to be gaining any speed. I've been at this a few weeks now because I started walking a couple weeks before starting couch to 5k. I can't seem to get below a 52 minute 5k. I was able to do a 52 minute 5k 3 weeks ago and that's as fast as I seem to be able to do it now.

I was reading a bit and realized that there's a good possibility that the deficit I'm eating at is holding me back a bit. Because of my weight, my primary goal is really weight loss at this point as getting lighter would make running easier probably.

I left my protein goals at what they came up as with the weight loss goal I selected. I currently weight about 214 and according to my Omron bodyfat monitor I'm about 39% bodyfat. I know that probably isn't accurate, but it does seem to be consistent. If that's true, then I'm about 130 lbs of lean mass. I've only been eating around 60-70 grams of protein. Should I try to up the protein and hope that somehow compensates a bit for the caloric deficit?

I'm sort of at a loss of what to do, whether I should eat more to get better at running or eat less to lose weight and wait to increase calories and just settle for the speed I'm getting now.

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep running slowly. Do it because you love it! If your eating works for you now keep at it. Once in a while do some HIIT, this will increase your speed. For me, the worse thing I can do is second guess myself, criticize myself and overthink. The way I have success is sticking with whatever I have chosen to do. Any changes should be small and singular if you want to know what is working for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5k is not a program to increase speed. It's a program designed to increase your endurance. The idea is to go from being a couch potato, to being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping. Once you have complete C25k, then keep running on a regular basis and your speed will gradually improve over time.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I can't give much advice on the speed thing as I have been running again for 3 months and have yet to see any gains in the mph department (unless in a competition and someone is right behind me! lol. then I can go to an 8 minute mile instead of 10. lol. ) I read that running hills can help speed you up. I haven't been brave enough to try that yet though. lol.

But I can comment on what increased protein has done for me. I changed my macros from 55/15/30 (carb protein fat) to 50/25/25 about 2 weeks ago, and that (along with my regular workouts which lately have included 30 day shred and insanity) seemed to break my plateau and I lost 4 lbs after 2 months of not losing anything.

I can tell you this, too. If you increase your protein intake, you will find yourself eating more to try to reach that goal. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I try to think of things in terms of nomadic homo sapiens. Some days, they may not have found much food. Some days food may have been bountiful. Some days high in fat, some days high in carbs, some days high in protein bc the men brought home a bear. I think those types of "surprises" or changes in your diet are good for your metabolism. But what do i know? :)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi, c25k for me is an endurance thing not a speed thing :) im on week 4, dont worry about it, just enjoy the achievement when you complete it :) Goodluck xx
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that the c25k program is designed for endurance. I'm on week 7. The last time I did this eons ago, I trained at a slower pace and even tho I finally got to the point where I could run for 30 mins, I didn't feel like a "runner". This time around I've pushed harder and while I'm not setting any records, I am consistently running around 9.5 min/mile. Once you complete the program you can train to increase speed. I use run double and there are multiple programs. One for time, one for distance, one to better your time, 5k-10k, etc.

Just don't get discouraged. You might also find upping your cals a pinch will actually pick up your weight loss if you're at a plateau.

Good luck and just keep running!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    C25K is not a speed program as others have said. It is a begining running program. If you feel you are at the point where you are looking to build speed, look on the Runners World website for programs to build to build speed. Interval training and HIIT can help along with some strength training.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would get through the whole program before worrying about speed at all.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If your lean mass is 130lbs then you should be eating around 130 gr protein.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. After week 9 look into interval training.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I didn't start increasing my speed until I could run 40 minutes straight. I then increased it by 0.2 every other run on the treadmill but sometimes had to hang out at a speed for a while longer than others. My first goal was to be able to run 3.1 miles straight before I even worried about time. I have also noticed my overall time is faster outside than it is on the treadmill because I don't focus so much on speed, I just run comfortably. When I run outside my pace varies considerably from 11:30 min mile all the way up to 14:40 minute mile depending on terrain. I'm not sure what point you are at but if you are not running the entire distance yet, start there. If you are, keep running and your speed will gradually improve as your body adapts and becomes more efficient.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5k is not a program to increase speed. It's a program designed to increase your endurance. The idea is to go from being a couch potato, to being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping. Once you have complete C25k, then keep running on a regular basis and your speed will gradually improve over time.

This
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider is when do you eat and run. I found that running before breakfast gives me my best performance or eating light 2 - 3 hours before I run gives me a great workout. There is also breathing, are you breathing from your belly or your chest? You have to determine what is hindering your growth and work on that. There isn't "one thing" that affects your speed but many. I run hill sprints to improve my leg strength when running hills and it helps with speed. However, I love running and I do it all whether I get better or not. I went to the doctor a week ago and my bp was 100/80 and I still weigh 270lbs! I love what running has done for me!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about what you said about covering the 5k distance in 52 minutes on Week 3. Week 3 (and pretty much all the weeks until the last one) aren't about the distance, but about the time. In the 3rd week you should be out there for 28 minutes, from warm up to cool down, at least according to the app I used.

And I agree with what everyone else has said - don't worry about speed while you're going through the program. Concentrate on sticking with the daily walk/run intervals and being able to do the time. As for eating at a deficit, I wouldn't think you'd need to up anything at this point, unless you're feeling like you need a boost before you go out, or feel hungrier or more tired later in the day after a run.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, being just on week three I'm not running the whole distance at all, barely making it through the running portions. I do the couch to 5k for the first 25 minutes or so of my walk and then walk the rest of the distance at whatever pace I can accomplish, generally not that fast. I just have trouble sticking to a reduced calorie diet unless I do enough exercise to eat somewhat normally, so, thus the longer distance.
    It just was weird to me that I hadn't gotten any faster despite adding running portions. But, it's probably just a case where I just don't have the endurance built up to maintain a better walking pace for the rest of it.

I adjusted my macro's anyways, because I think they were pretty light on protein.

I will quit worrying about speed than until I've made it through the whole thing. Every week it feels like I couldn't possible run any longer, but, somehow manage to do it so far.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you repeating the program to get to 5K per workout? The average workout is 30 minutes or less so if you're still walking a susbstantial portion of the 5K then that isn't a bad time. I'd stick to doing the 30 minute plan if you want to work on faster because you won't be as tired by the end.
  • jenniferinfl
    Options
    Are you repeating the program to get to 5K per workout? The average workout is 30 minutes or less so if you're still walking a susbstantial portion of the 5K then that isn't a bad time. I'd stick to doing the 30 minute plan if you want to work on faster because you won't be as tired by the end.

No, I'm not repeating the program to get to 5k. I just do the 25 minutes or so and then drop into a walk for the rest of it. I wish I could repeat it, but I'm pretty much dragging myself the rest of the way. Only reason I'm even finishing it is that it's a loop trail, so I still have to walk out of there to get home.. lol On a treadmill I can't seem to make myself do the whole 5k as it's too easy to get off the treadmill.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Still not sure why you're going for the whole 5k distance rather than just the 30 minutes or so of that day's program. Could be why you're feeling tired - it takes time to build up that endurance.

If you're outside, rather than keeping going around the loop to get home, maybe find a route that is closer to that day's time, or just turn around when it tells you you're halfway. Assuming your app does the halfway thing - the one I used did, and was handy for a turn around point.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not repeating the program to get to 5k. I just do the 25 minutes or so and then drop into a walk for the rest of it. I wish I could repeat it, but I'm pretty much dragging myself the rest of the way. Only reason I'm even finishing it is that it's a loop trail, so I still have to walk out of there to get home.. lol On a treadmill I can't seem to make myself do the whole 5k as it's too easy to get off the treadmill.

Okay, so when on the Trail, do the whole thing. I know this is a big 'ol "duh.." unless you want a helicopter to pick you up. :laugh: :laugh:

When using the treadmill, do your 5 min warm up, and then the C25K program for the day. Finish with only a 5 min cool down. Depending on the day you'll be done with the workout around 30-35 min. That's completely okay!!!!!

I'm starting week 7 tomorrow. WEEK SEVEN! Don't worry, you'll build up your running times.. this program works! I really can't believe it. I've never ever been a runner... hated it when I was a kid, and resolved to never run unless I had to keep my child out of danger. Well, now I'm running in the rain in a regular basis. Go figure! :blushing:
  • jenniferinfl
    Options
    Still not sure why you're going for the whole 5k distance rather than just the 30 minutes or so of that day's program. Could be why you're feeling tired - it takes time to build up that endurance.

If you're outside, rather than keeping going around the loop to get home, maybe find a route that is closer to that day's time, or just turn around when it tells you you're halfway. Assuming your app does the halfway thing - the one I used did, and was handy for a turn around point.

I've been going the whole 5k distance because the calories burned for just the couch to 5k aren't enough extra to eat the way I like too.. lol I'm over 200lbs also, so I'm trying to get the weight down, thus the extra walking. I don't have a gym membership yet, so I'm a bit limited as to the variety of exercise I can do beyond the basic pushups and other similar exercises. Did 39 miles last week. But, I'm sure that's probably part of the reason why I'm still so slow.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Can you break up your workout in 2?
    I also just finished week 3.
    I think making fitness gains while on a deficit is harder than if you weren't trying to lose weight, but given that most of us are fitness beginners, it shouldn't be that difficult.

What I've been trying to do is the C25k 3x a week in the mornings, and 30-45 min light/moderate steady state elliptical in evenings for extra calories. Or even outdoor walks.

My guess is if you can do 30 min in morning, and anytime in the afternoon/evening, it will burn the same amount of calories and it'll be easier (and you might even be able to walk after in the second 30, or get in one extra run during the c-to-5k -- which is something I've been trying to do as well when the program ends before 30 min, I try to push myself for an extra run or two and just extend cooldown to 30 min.