Intake of protein powder...how??

Options
I work out every day in the morning around 7 am. I do not breakfast before, rather after. Ever since a month ago, I used to drink my protein shake after the workout and after an hour or so I would eat my vanilla cinnamon oatmeal made the night before. I somehow realized that I could mix the two..so recently Ive been eating my protein powder (one scoop) with my oatmeal (1,5 oz) and milk (8,4 oz). And when I mix it, it becomes a puddingy dessert, which is what I really like about it :)
My question is... is this also one of the possibilities of taking the protein powder in, or should I separate the two "meals"? Because I know that after a workout, my muscles need the protein, and if I dont take it in at once (or about an hour or so) my body stores the proteins and turns them into fat. I watch what I eat and take good care of my nutrition, so I dont want to unconsciously sabotage myself.
HELP please :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My question is... is this also one of the possibilities of taking the protein powder in, or should I separate the two "meals"? Because I know that after a workout, my muscles need the protein, and if I dont take it in at once (or about an hour or so) my body stores the proteins and turns them into fat.

This is not how it works. First of all in a net caloric deficit you really don't have to worry about fat storage because fat oxidation will exceed it. You won't have a net fat gain in a calorie deficit.

I watch what I eat and take good care of my nutrition, so I dont want to unconsciously sabotage myself.
    HELP please :)

You have nothing to worry about regarding your protein. If you prefer eating it in your oats, have at it.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    Thanks for ur advice :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can use it however you would like. I like to make pie out of it, by mixing it with sugar free pudding.

I've read quite a few articles that recommend it before a workout because of the BCAAs in most protein powders. According to the articles, they are supposed to help you retain your lean muscle mass. I like using it for both pre- and post workout.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    thank u dave!!
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to use the vanilla or chocolate is to add a tablespoon of peanut butter, a frozen banana, and 1/2 c of skim milk before blending, and it turns out the consistency of ice cream. It's so good (in my opinion!) that I feel like I'm eating something decadent. I also bake protein muffins based off of this recipe (http://www.theironyou.com/2011/05/best-protein-brownies.html), which I freeze and take along as a quick meal replacement if I don't have time for breakfast (they're around 300 calories a piece). I've played with the ingredients and have made a chocolate, peanut butter, blondie, and vanilla chocolate chip version.

Edited to add: Good lord, I'm sorry! I misread and thought you were asking for different ways to play around with protein. Doh! :)
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also do the "ice cream" smoothie thing. I load up my blender with frozen fruits, flax seed and a scoop of the protein powder with about 1/4-1/2 cup of almond milk. Blend until like ice cream. It almost feels sinful to have ice cream for breakfast :)

I don't think you have to stick with just putting the powder in milk or water. On your oats is fine and you aren't sabotaging anything. It will still count toward your caloric intake no matter how you dress it up to consume.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    No, it is okey :D Thanks anyway. If the manner of intake doesnt matter, then thanks for the great ideas :D
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, but how hot a food can you add the protein powder too? What I mean is heat denatures protein, or does that not matter?