Girls & Gym

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Totally agree! Though to be honest, whenever I'm at the gym, I don't have time to look nor to chat with other people coz I'm so busy & focused on my workouts.

Though to be fair, I'm more comfortable working out in a sports bra & either jogging pants or spandex shorts combo (the latter one is much better :P)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Disagree.

Those people subsidize my membership fees. I'm there for me and I could give a hoot what anybody else does.
    Nice point. I get the OP's post, though, and as for subsidizing my membership fees, I prefer the people who pay then never come to those who come and take up machine and floor space. But as long as they stay out of my way, so be it.

I will make the point that there seem to be some guys who do this too. They are a bit worse in my gym, though, because they do actually use the equipment, but they take FOREVER to get through their sets and they are always in the way. And, not to make anyone feel like they need to be self conscious and not want to go to the gym, but... I do think there should be a minimum length for spandex shorts on guys (when that's the only shorts they are wearing). Just saying. There are some things NO ONE wants to see at the gym. I'll take the hair and make up over that!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should work out harder so you don't notice others.

I was thinking this, only because I have some friends that are really large and very intimidated by the gym. I always assure them that people are into their own workouts and will not notice/judge them. I don't know what to say to them now.

Of course, we all notice the folks around us to some extent, but that happens on the street, in a coffee shop, and just about anywhere. Don't say anything to your friends. It doesn't matter what other people think, some people will judge and some won't, just like everywhere else in life. For me, there are lots of times I see a larger person at the gym and I'm motivated to work harder on my own workout. And there have been a few people at the gym that I've seen make amazing progress. I look them in the eye and tell them what an awesome job they are doing. There's no reason to treat them differently based on their size, IMO.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    disagree.

they pay their gym fees just like you. what difference does it make to you and your workout how they are wearing their hair or how much they sweat?

are you like the real life heart rate monitor or something?

:laugh:

My opinion...

Hmm what a waste of gym fee's though..

I don't know... They can pay gym fees, and try to hook up with a muscle bound jock, or they can pay an internet dating website, where they can have some computer nerd, pretending to be a muscle bound jock trying to hook up with them. :-)

BTW... I met my wife on an internet dating website.:laugh:
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I go to a gym where I'm the only girl. The boys mostly stay downstairs in their area and are too busy lifting stuff to give a stuff about what I'm doing or am dressed like
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm scared of the gym.. not because of the OP but the thought of people who are there just to watch others (the 'talent' and anything/one else they deem obscure and/or amusing, I'm sure) and chat amongst themselves.. I would feel really paranoid if I was working out and there were people just standing around chatting..
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Random irritation at the gym...

Hates with a passion seeing girls at the gym for the wrong reasons..Girls who come to the gym wearing totally inappropriate clothes, wear there hair down and don't even break a sweat..

Actually overheard one of these types say "I am just going to go up like this, I'm not really working out, I will just watch you and spot the talent" (wearing leggings and uggs!)

Come on girls, that's not what the gym is about..It's called working out for a reason..Stop caring what you look like and do some exercise..

Agree?

love it! those girls annoy me soo much!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as for the talent watching comment.

some gyms ARE more of meat markets than others.

when i lived in NYC i'd check yelp and there were quite a few gyms i didnt join because some dudes had left comments in the ratings section that there werent enough hot women in the gym or that there were too many fatties.

not that i give a crap about that in general, but my first NYC gym was a meat market like that and i quickly discovered that the behavior wasnt just for the members since the staff was also the same way. if you were hot or had a nice body then they'd be more than willing to help, if you weren't then they were too busy or would ignore you.

which nyc gyms are like that? i haven't noticed that at my nyc gym, but maybe i'm just oblivious. .
    i generally don't talk to anyone there or ask for help.

crunch on flatbush in bk.. the soho NYSC. but really all the crunch locations had some degree of dudes leaving comments about the type of women that go to a certain location. the only gym that didnt have those type comments were equinox (where i guess people pay enough money where they dont want to have to see ANYONE at the gym) and the downtown bk planet fitness (which pretty much just turned into a homeless gym )

i did end up joining NYSC only because there was a location very close to my apartment and another close to work.

oh by the way, the NYSC on irving place near union square was pretty notorious for having *ahem* working girls looking for johns. :laugh: some of the signs in the bathrooms and locker rooms from management were hilarious!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm scared of the gym.. not because of the OP but the thought of people who are there just to watch others (the 'talent' and anything/one else they deem obscure and/or amusing, I'm sure) and chat amongst themselves.. I would feel really paranoid if I was working out and there were people just standing around chatting..

Girl.....! Those people exist but they're in the minority. Most people at the gym are in their own zone, working out with headphones on. You need to just set aside your fears and jump in a couple times- you'll find a pleasant anonymity, I promise. Before you even know it, you'll be a regular giving polite smiles to scared-looking newcomers.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I was just talking to my friend about this the other day! I was telling her that I don't trust girls who don't break a sweat during a kickboxing class, when the sweat is literally dropping from my face to the floor!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Could have been a girls day off to "spot" her friends (the talent)....or said it as a joke.

Relax and stop listening in on peoples personal conversations...or creeping on their shoes...or worrying about their life decisions.

Cheese and rice just mind your own business!
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    I've ended up at the gym with like bike shorts and a short top once or twice. I was slightly embarrassed, but I rocked it all the same. :p

Tho, I feel sort of awkward when I'm really pushing, you know when it's to the point you start grunting, panting and "moaning"... That's when I appreciate that our gym has a ladies-only section so I don't have to do that in front of the BEASTS. They usually stay in the other room. ^^

Good for you..Ahhh got to love the ladies side of the gym sometimes..
  • gnr123
    Options
    as for the talent watching comment.

some gyms ARE more of meat markets than others.

when i lived in NYC i'd check yelp and there were quite a few gyms i didnt join because some dudes had left comments in the ratings section that there werent enough hot women in the gym or that there were too many fatties.

not that i give a crap about that in general, but my first NYC gym was a meat market like that and i quickly discovered that the behavior wasnt just for the members since the staff was also the same way. if you were hot or had a nice body then they'd be more than willing to help, if you weren't then they were too busy or would ignore you.

:laugh: Too many fatties..

Really? OK maybe it's just me then..Maybe the gyms has morphed in to a place where you can perve and pick up guys/girls...
    I might make more of a effort today ha ha
  • gnr123
    Options
    Could have been a girls day off to "spot" her friends (the talent)....or said it as a joke.

Relax and stop listening in on peoples personal conversations...or creeping on their shoes...or worrying about their life decisions.

Cheese and rice just mind your own business!

It's my opinion as you are entitled to you's...
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I personally cant go to the gym without some form of make up on, I dont know why I do this because I swear it all off :/
    Anyways my thing is always...why do girls/women wear next to nothing and then complain when everyone looks at them?
    Am missing something?

For now I will continue to work out in my StarCraft/modern warfare (insert any other gaming tshirts) and joggers

My sis and I met Mish Bridges (australian biggest loser) las weekend and my sister was kicking herself after because she forgot to ask what lippy Mish wears. She had her face on while leading a workout of around 1000 people and it didn't even smudge.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The only time it annoys me is if they are hogging a machine and not achieving anything (whilst preventing me from achieving my goal). The rest of the time i dont notice them
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If they are there for the wrong reason, they won't be there too long... It will be a phase. If they are there for the right reason, they will hopefully persevere and transform their lives. The one thing that will bother me about these types is when they hog the machines (sit and gossip on a machine) while others are waiting to get on it. (I remember one time I was trying to do my leg routine and this one lady sat there talking to another lady about some bad marriage she just got out of for a solid 45 minutes and never pushed the first leg extension... just stayed on the machine... Not THAT irritated me.
  • gnr123
    Options
    I personally cant go to the gym without some form of make up on, I dont know why I do this because I swear it all off :/
    Anyways my thing is always...why do girls/women wear next to nothing and then complain when everyone looks at them?
    Am missing something?

For now I will continue to work out in my StarCraft/modern warfare (insert any other gaming tshirts) and joggers

My sis and I met Mish Bridges (australian biggest loser) las weekend and my sister was kicking herself after because she forgot to ask what lippy Mish wears. She had her face on while leading a workout of around 1000 people and it didn't even smudge.

Wow now this I would really like to know! That must of been some kick *kitten* lippy!
  • gnr123
    Options
    If they are there for the wrong reason, they won't be there too long... It will be a phase. If they are there for the right reason, they will hopefully persevere and transform their lives. The one thing that will bother me about these types is when they hog the machines (sit and gossip on a machine) while others are waiting to get on it. (I remember one time I was trying to do my leg routine and this one lady sat there talking to another lady about some bad marriage she just got out of for a solid 45 minutes and never pushed the first leg extension... just stayed on the machine... Not THAT irritated me.

I bet you smashed it when you eventually got on the machine...Working out I find is much easily if your a bit angry or you have something on your mind..
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    But my boots look so good with my sweats :( ..