Tracking Meals Made At Home

Options
It is great that MFP has such a data base for foods that makes calories so easy to track, but I make most of my meals from scratch so I just use add quick calories to my dinner & lunch meals. How do you track your homemade meals? Currently I just add quick calories.

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You create your meals in the database. Under FOOD tab, there's a place to create your own recipes. Save them under a name you'll remember :)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I just log all of the separet ingredients that go into whatever I make. My diary reads more like a grocery list.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You create your meals in the database. Under FOOD tab, there's a place to create your own recipes. Save them under a name you'll remember :)
    I do this as well. The whenever I have the recipe I weigh the ingredients to make sure they are the same, or adjust the recipe.
    Don't forget quick calories, a side from the fact you are probably estimating the calories wrong, doesn't account for your macros accurately.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add the individual items to each meal. I also use the recipe builder a lot if I know it's someting I will make often or has a lot of leftovers like soup.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot too. I either use the recipe builder(for frequent or more complicated recipes) or just enter each ingredient separately.
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what I do..so much easier
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add the individual items to each meal. I also use the recipe builder a lot if I know it's someting I will make often or has a lot of leftovers like soup.

I do it this way too. I want the macro info.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I just log all of the separet ingredients that go into whatever I make. My diary reads more like a grocery list.

^^^^^^^This
  • loveisthmovement16
    Options

^^^^^^^This
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I almost always cook my own meals. I just build them in the recipe section and then add them to my food log.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. The whenever I have the recipe I weigh the ingredients to make sure they are the same, or adjust the recipe.

This. I put in the recipe and change the amounts each time I make it.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I use the "recipes" feature for things with leftovers like mac & cheese, soup & cupcakes.

I use the "my meals" feature for things I make often, but change the components all the time. So, for things like omlets & stirfrys. I also use it for combinations like celery w/ peanutbutter, because I'm eating that all the time and is just easier to go to "my meals" rather than looking in the recent foods for both components.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Whenever a cook a new meal (that I have not previously logged in MFP), I add the tota calories of the entire recipe, the. Divide by the number of servings. Once it's entered, I can make the recipe again and logging is easy, since I already added it. Hope that made sense!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love the recipe feature! It's so handy and helpful since we have a lot of things we make over and over. If it's just a few ingredients and a serving of one, than I will add them each individually and then typically make it a "meal" so that it's easy to use again in the future.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Under the "Food" tab there is a "Recipe" mini tab. Click that. You are able to save the recipes.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I almost always cook my own meals. I just build them in the recipe section and then add them to my food log.

This is what I do!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Create you recipe in the database; and measure it out into servings. Yes, it is a little more work but....you only have to do it once, then every time you make that "dish"; you can just add it. I love this b/c my husband is always making stuff and I make him give me everything he puts in it.....things I thought were really high in fat or really high in calories it turns out they're not that bad if you have a SERVING of them (like 1-2 cups of chili or 1-2 cups of New England Clam chowder - how he makes it). His pizza isn't even bad; 308 calories for 2 slices (he makes home made whole wheat crust and uses turkey pepperoni).
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

^ that