weight training question

Options
I have been only focusing on cardio for about a year now. I know that I need to start weight training, but I just can't seem to get into it. I have been able to do weights throughout the day though. For example: I will do 3 sets of 12 biceps curls in the morning, and then do 3 sets of 12 triceps push-backs around lunch time. Basically I do my entire arm routine, but I space it out throughout the day. I am wondering if this will be okay for my weight training. I just can't seem to get into doing 30 to 60 minutes of straight weight lifting. I am not too worried about trying to get my heart rate up, since I already have a cardio plan.

Replies

• blonide
    Options
    To the maximum benefits of weight lifting you should try to incorporate this into your cardio days OR incorporate light cardio on weight training days. For instance, spin on a bike for 5 minutes, get off and do your bicepts, then return to the bike and rotate for 45 mintues - this will get you through all your weight training; another options is jumping jacks between, running, elliptical, jump rope, stairs...

good luck and fight through it; the benefits and changes will be worth it! :)
  • kingpin187
    Options
    Ultimately the amount you spend on any aspect of you workout depends on your targets. If you're aiming to improve your cardiovascular performance then you should concentrate on your endurance exercises and the like. If you're looking at firming up then you need to spend time on resistance training.

Sounds from what you've written that you don't necessarily have a plan, this will ultimately result in lack of focus and purpose in the gym and eventually you will lose interest altogether and stop going. Not the desired end result.

You need to find out what aspect of your lifestyle you're targeting to improve by going to the gym and then set your gym bound objectives around achieving them.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    I think I know where your coming from.....from my point of view, what you're doing is much better than not doing any at all on account of tight schedule!

Of course it's not the best strenght training you can do, but if it's all you can do, then it's good!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    thanks for your comments. I know I will not stop going to the gym. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for a year now. I have a cardio plan that I change up every 6 weeks or so. I just haven't focused on weight training. I know that I need to start to incorporate weights into my program, but I have just had a hard time focusing on them. I want to start to add weight training to help firm up.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of good reasons to do it. One is that for women, it helps us as we age and calcium depletion wears on our bones and two, it does fabulous things for your metabolism. A few years back I had trouble getting into it. So I took a look at the classes offered at my gym and decided to try one with weights involved. I loved it and wanted more. So I decided to give a trainer a try. Now, I love weight training and try to get at least an hour, 3 days a week. It just goes by and I enjoy it. Currently I'm out of the country for a bit so I found some applications to download on my iphone for weight training. You pick the area you want to work and it will give you exercises to do. I've found it pretty effective. You just need to pay attention to your weight as you get better to make sure you are still challenging yourself. :) I hope all this helps and will inspire you.
  • kingpin187
    Options
    If you're already spending 5 days a weeks then you might look at cardio 3 times a week and weights 2 times per week. The good thing about resistance training is that you add lean tissue mass which raises your base metabolic rate which, unless you start to eat more, will assist with the calorie deficit you're trying to create by going to the gym. Again it comes back to what you're trying to achieve. It is recommended that you don't exercise the same muscle groups within 48 hours, this is to ensure that you give your body a chance to recoup, if you're putting together a plan you need to bare that in mind.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The advantages of resistance training are significant. I can understand if you don't inherently enjoy it--I have often felt the same way. I love the results of strength training, but I can't say I always get the same intrinsic enjoyment like I do with cardio.

As someone else said, however, you need a plan and some focus or else you will probably not be effective, whatever you do.

My recommendation is to pick a set of core exercises--either on machines or using free weights--do that and don't worry about it. You will get some benefits and, down the road, decide if you want to put more time into it. Who knows, once you start getting stronger, you might find you enjoy it a little more.

Here are the exercises:

Leg Press or Squat
    Hamstring Curl
    Machine Chest Press or Bench Press
    Lat Pulldown
    Seated Lat Row
    Shoulder Press

You can get by with just those 6 exercises. Do 2 sets of each, 8-12 reps per set, with the last repetition being the last one you can do with good form. Keep increasing the weight once you can do 11-12 reps. Do this twice a week. This should take less than 20 min.