Who lifts weights here and does no cardio

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'm enough of a rookie that lifting gives me cardio in and of itself.

Throw some good music in there and a BOSU ball and you're good to go.

• I completely disagree. Some people are active enough and don't require cardio as an additional exercise.. I don't have anything against doing a little cardio combined with weight training but I wouldn't say weight lifting is pointless without it. Do you have any specific reasons or evidence that it's pointless?
  • Onesnap

Meh, I don't like being out in the cold anyway.

ATV is in the summer. And if you said "cold" you have no idea. The seat and the handlebars are heated. The flask in your saddlebags can also provide heat. In all seriousness though...it's not for the faint of heart. I've never really seen an out of shape person on the backcountry trails.
  • Onesnap

I completely disagree. Some people are active enough and don't require cardio as an additional exercise.. I don't have anything against doing a little cardio combined with weight training but I wouldn't say weight lifting is pointless without it. Do you have any specific reasons or evidence that it's pointless?

Agreed. Variety is the spice of life.

I keep reading over and over how not getting bored is key.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Why would I lift weights but not enjoy things like hiking?

Why would I lift weights and not enjoy things like Zumba?

and lastly...why would I lift weights and not enjoy things like Power Yoga?

Humans need a well rounded exercise routine. Any expert will tell you that.

Why would I hike if I do not enjoy it?

Why would I Zumba if I do not like it?

Why would I do Power Yoga if I do not like it?

Why would I not lift weights if I do like it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Because not everyone enjoys hiking, zumba, or power yoga.

And "experts" say a lot, that doesn't make them correct.

Okay. Bad examples.

How about riding an ATV? Or a snowmobile? Both are crazy good upper body workouts.

Or snowshoeing? Like in my profile pic. Burning 500 calories per hour.

Show me the proof that experts say to ONLY lift and do nothing else.

If you do lift and do nothing else you live a SAD AND BORING LIFE. Also, you're not invited for a day out on the trails.

Rude and insulting.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

She already told you, weights are boring. You gotta do more than that if you want to hang with her.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

She already told you, weights are boring. You gotta do more than that if you want to hang with her.

Sorry, my life is obviously very boring and sad and lacking in stimuli.
  • Sarauk2sf
    OP - to answer your question, I lift and only do about 12 minutes after lifting as cardio,
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I find strength training very frustrating, and I am moving away from it and going to cardio more.

I loved how weight lifting made me feel strong, and how it changed my body, but I have back and hip problems and I almost need to schedule a cardio appointment after every lifting session. I have had a trainer form check me, so I know it's not because I'm doing everything wrong. It's really taken the joy out of exercise when I'm always in pain.

Also, I am obese and have never seen anyone go from obese to fit by doing strength training alone.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

That's ok, we'll find more meaningful things for you to do instead LOLOL \m/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

go shovel some snow
  • Sarauk2sf

That's ok, we'll find more meaningful things for you to do instead LOLOL \m/

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    OP - to answer your question, I lift and only do about 12 minutes after lifting as cardio,

Doing cardio after lifting is that to free up your muscles after the workout?
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    I have found, personally, that a good balance of strength training and cardio is best, balance being the key word. However, if all your doing is strength training, or if all your doing is strength training, then pat yourself on the back. Why? Because you are doing more than 66% of all Americans. :D
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    I too am finding if I spend more time doing weights than spending time on the treadmill I get better results.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    I find strength training very frustrating, and I am moving away from it and going to cardio more.

I loved how weight lifting made me feel strong, and how it changed my body, but I have back and hip problems and I almost need to schedule a cardio appointment after every lifting session. I have had a trainer form check me, so I know it's not because I'm doing everything wrong. It's really taken the joy out of exercise when I'm always in pain.

Also, I am obese and have never seen anyone go from obese to fit by doing strength training alone.

I'm currently a work in progress who started at over 240 lbs and have made it down to around 180, although people peg my weight as lower than that as I am currenlty back into clothes that I was wearing when I was in the 160's. I am doing this while dealing with hypothyroidism. Did I mention that i DO NOT do cardio.....

Pleased to meet you...
  • Sarauk2sf

Doing cardio after lifting is that to free up your muscles after the workout?

It can be used for an 'active recovery' also because glycogen supplies should be depleted by then. Plus it is best to do after as you do not want to be tired for lifting (although my massive 12 minutes should not exactly tire someone out).
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member

I'm currently a work in progress who started at over 240 lbs and have made it down to around 180, although people peg my weight as lower than that as I am currenlty back into clothes that I was wearing when I was in the 160's. I am doing this while dealing with hypothyroidism. Did I mention that i DO NOT do cardio.....

Pleased to meet you...

How long did it take you, and are you sedentary in your daily lifestyle? I love lifting, and if I could do it alone and get to my goal weight I would. I just don't like how my body hurts from it.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    It's taken me a while, mostly because I had to work to get my macros right (I currently eat 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs), but the last 6 months have been good for 30 of those lbs (that's when I got things right for me). In my daily life, I work in IT so it doesn't get much more sedentary than that; other than my workouts, its not like I'm getting much other activity. I work in a downtown area, in a really cold climate, so walking around the neighbourghood at lunchtime is a non-starter.

I'm fortunate that I have a good local trainer to work with, who does functional metabolic resistance training - it's a workout philosophy that was pioneered by Alwyn Cosgrove. Much of what we do follows along what you can find in the New Rules for Lifting series - maybe there are copies in your local libray you can check out. I started out doing mainly body weight, because I was a wreck when I began. The day after my first workout I could barely move...but I went back...and now I'm swinging around 50 lb kettlebells amoungst other things.

I can understand how back and hip problems can be a big issue in this kind of a program. Have you seen a doctor or a physiotherapist about them?