Protein powder and nursing

Options
I was just curious what people's thoughts are on this subject...I have researched a couple different kinds and talked to people that sell them, and most say you can take when your nursing, just specific kinds...they think. I don't really have any lactation ladies in my area I can talk to about it so I was just wondering if there was any ladies out there that are/have used it when nursing, and what kinds you used.

Replies

• Lukefire67
    Options
    If you can't find a solid answer, then why risk it? Natural sources of protein are just as good, and easier on your kidneys. (and maybe your baby's kidneys too!) I don't use supplements. I just stick to a healthy diet and I get all the nutrients and protein I need that way. Leafy greens, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean meats like venison, chicken, turkey, fish, and nuts. Hope this helps!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm misinformed then, I was going to use it as a breakfast replacement kind of thing. That's been the one thing I struggle with the most, is eating breakfast. I just can't do it and I know I need to so I thought that might be an alternative worth looking into.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    "Protein powder" is not a meal replacement shake. In the case of whey protein it's just protein that is derived from milk. It might have a few added ingredients for taste and preservation, but it's just protein. It doesn't replace the other things you need from a meal (carbs, fat, fiber, vitamins, etc).

And since it is "just protein" it shouldn't have any effect on your nursing.

Lastly, you don't NEED to eat breakfast from an health or weight loss perspective. However, in order to produce enough milk for your baby you need to make sure you are eating enough calories. You should be adding in extra calories for nursing and have a small deficit to begin with (so pick a half pound a week). If you cannot get enough calories without breakfast, or if skipping breakfast means a lower milk yield later, then you should eat it.
  • KylaQ
    KylaQ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you message me on here tomorrow? I'm on my phone, and working properly isn't in the cards tonight. But there is a lactation consultant near me who is free to talk to. I can get her number and give it to you, but I will need to be reminded. She is fantastic. I've spend many hours with her!

However with what I do know, supplementing with just a protein powder isn't good, even for just 1 mean. The body needs all the extra things, the fats, veggies, fruits, or whatever you can get into it to make milk. How old is your nursling? If s/he is still until 9 months and still gets most of their calories from your milk, then any supplement shouldn't be used. You actually should be upping your calories by 400, I think. Because your body actually burns calories to make the milk, not many but still some. and to take away calories, and still expect your body to make a good whole milk for your baby isn't realistic.

I think you can supplement with things like the carnation instant breakfast's in the am. So you would get alot more vitamins, and being better than just a protein shake.

Like I said, remind me tomorrow and I will get her number, she is in NC, so long distance call probably. But even if it is, she would be able to give you solid info and steer you in the correct direction.
  • time4healthyme
    Options
    I have been nursing for a over a year without any problems at all.. i use protein powder as well as protein bars..
    Both my milk supply and my child's health have been excellent!
  • morgaine108
    Options
    It shouldn't really be a problem. You want to get one that is just whey, no funny added stuff or lots of extra sweeteners. Just keep in mind it's not a balanced meal, but it's better than nothing. I would try to add some fruit or a healthy carb to it gradually if you can manage it. Also, whey can actually increase your milk supply, but.....be careful if your baby has had any milk sensitivities because whey is just milk protein, so it would increase your baby's problems if they have allergy or milk sensitivities. You can do a search online and get several places where people have talked about it.
  • time4healthyme
    Options
    it really is not necessary to add a bunch of things to ur snack/1 meal replacement.. as long as your not replacing ALL your meals with protein shakes..
    feel free to add me if you like..
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Your baby will get bulky
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Can you message me on here tomorrow? I'm on my phone, and working properly isn't in the cards tonight. But there is a lactation consultant near me who is free to talk to. I can get her number and give it to you, but I will need to be reminded. She is fantastic. I've spend many hours with her!

However with what I do know, supplementing with just a protein powder isn't good, even for just 1 mean. The body needs all the extra things, the fats, veggies, fruits, or whatever you can get into it to make milk. How old is your nursling? If s/he is still until 9 months and still gets most of their calories from your milk, then any supplement shouldn't be used. You actually should be upping your calories by 400, I think. Because your body actually burns calories to make the milk, not many but still some. and to take away calories, and still expect your body to make a good whole milk for your baby isn't realistic.

I think you can supplement with things like the carnation instant breakfast's in the am. So you would get alot more vitamins, and being better than just a protein shake.

Like I said, remind me tomorrow and I will get her number, she is in NC, so long distance call probably. But even if it is, she would be able to give you solid info and steer you in the correct direction.

Did you really just use the word "nursling" to describe an infant? Oy vey....
  • babaaluke
    Options
    If you're looking for a breakfast meal replacement protein shake, I highly recommend the IsaLean shake from Isagenix. (Yes, I am a consultant and do distribute the product, but that's not the reason for my recommendation.)

I started these shakes a year ago and have them everyday for breakfast. They are full meal replacements (just add water) and they contain the cleanest source of undenatured whey protein on the planet - sourced from "happy cows" that are grass-fed in New Zealand - raised on land that has never, ever been treated with herbicides, pesticides or other chemicals. Not all protein powder supplements are created equal, so do your research. You get what you pay for, and in my opinion, the Isagenix products are worth every penny.

If you'd like more information, you can check out this blog post: http://selstalk.com/isagenix-ingredients/how-undenatured-whey-protein-benefits-your-health/. The shakes are perfectly safe for pregnant and nursing women and contain 23 grams of protein, along with all of the essential nutrients your body needs daily. You need 90 in all - a combination of vitamins, minerals and active enzymes - which the average diet simply can't supply, even if you do eat healthy. That's because our food sources in the U.S. are so depleted. There's a ton of information on that site that explains this in more detail if you're interested. Either way, best of luck. It's important to give your body the best. Most of us treat our appliances, cars, etc. better than we treat our own bodies, which is sad. Definitely do your research and choose what's best for you. I'm here if you need any help along the way!

Sels
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would think it OK, unless it had something weird in the ingredients. I have a brand I buy from Walmart. Never thought twice about taking it while nursing.

Best place to ask is the kellymom.com forum.
  • Brittygirl007
    Options
    I can't speak for any other powders, but my baby girl had a two vessel cord (long and short of it, she was not getting all the nutrition and blood flow she should have been getting). I started taking Shakeology when I was pregnant with her and though they predicted either her having to be removed prematurely or a full term 4 1/2 pound baby, she was born full term at almost 5 1/2 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like much of a difference, but really we have no NICU here where I live so any baby under 5 pounds is sent two hours away. For us the weight gain she had, was a major thing. I continued to take it while I nursed her, and I nursed her till she was 9 months, with no formula....actually no pumping or bottles either (her choice not mine). Either way her weight gain when she was nursing was HUGE but healthy. And it helped me get something healthy to eat quickly since I didn't have much time to fit in meals.
  • JuniperT
    Options
    You honestly think a place where most people aren't educated on the subject is the proper place to ask? honestly, think about it..

Gotta tell you, I've met a lot of educated people here :smile:
  • JuniperT
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice :smile: I think I'm going to start looking into some different brands because I do need it as something for breakfast. I am using it as something to help out with my milk production as well as the other things I do...I guess it's time to start researching different kinds as I don't want to get anything with funky ingredients. I have talked to a couple other mom's that I know that have and are doing it and I feel comfortable enough to move forward from here.