Striiv App

Does anyone else use it? (It is a pedometer app for the iphone that can be linked up to mfp)

Does anyone else have a problem with the way it calculates the calories burnt? I have just gotten to my 10,000 step mark for the day and it is telling me I have burnt 970 calories which to my calculations seems like around twice as many as I should have burnt.

Does anyone know how they calculate their figures?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I don't find it accurate at all. I use it for the challenges as a fun way to get in more steps-that's all. There is a new Fitbit type thing which you can link to it- the STRIIV Play.
  • Did you enter your weight, height, age, gender correctly?
  • jaz050465
    The app just didn't pick up all my steps. I don't think phone pedometers are ever that accurate.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    I downloaded it but deleted it a few days later. It's a cute idea, and the challenges did inspire me to get moving (really wanted that energy to build my next hut!). But it drained my phone battery waaaaay too fast and it didn't count a lot of steps.

I checked my fitbit for a day I did 10000 steps and if I take away my bmr it gives me about 800 calories for activity. So seems not too far out from yours, but yes I think they are somewhat optimistic.

edited because I got the question wrong.
  • I don't think the app alone will suffice. You need to buy the Striiv Play to sync with the app.
  • jaz050465
    It's on a discount now for MFP members. You are SUPPOSED to be able to just use the app.
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    You can definitely use the app alone. My husband and I have for several weeks without any issue. I did order the Play though because the app really drains my phone's battery.
  • jaz050465
    It's on a discount now for MFP members. You are SUPPOSED to be able to just use the app.
    What I meant by this is that you can use just the app but its not very accurate.
  • jaz050465
    When at work, I can't really alter my activity levels but when at home, I use the challenges on the app to get me off the sofa.
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    The challenges are really motivating. I hadn't given too much thought to accuracy because I've mainly used my phone and having tried a few different pedometer apps, found they all come up with different counts. So like you said, I just use the challenges to get me off my tail end a little more.
  • jaz050465
    I use a fitbit all day for better accuracy and the STRIIV too in the evening for motivation