Birth Control and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you gain weight, but it can make your appetite go sky high!
    And ya, 2 lbs a week, that is AWESOME! Keep it up, take pictures and keep kicking *kitten*!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you gain weight, but it can make your appetite go sky high!
    And ya, 2 lbs a week, that is AWESOME! Keep it up, take pictures and keep kicking *kitten*!!
    Birth control absolutely can cause weight gain. You are clueless.
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to lose the weight. I was almost hitting on 160 when I started. I'm hoping to get in the 140's next week. The shot from what I understand has a high level of hormones and causes the body to retain a lot of water. So I doubled my workout time and I drink plenty of water (at least 8- 8 oz glasses a day). Watching what I eat gets hard sometimes because I just love to eat. lol.
  • sonyalbruno
    sonyalbruno Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am on the mirina IUD and I gained about 10 pounds in the first 4 months I had it until I started on MFP. My weightloss is slow but its still weight loss. Two pounds a week is great, you should be proud of yourself. Keep it up hun.
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    Thanks. The only reason that I haven't switched is because my husband swears this is the most effective birth control. He's one of those people that you can't tell them anything. He thinks that he knows everything. lol. I would like to switch to a low hormone pill but I'm scared that I will forget a pill. My youngest is 1. No need for anymore of those surprises. lol
  • QTRARO
    QTRARO Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I put on weight years ago when I had the Depo injection. Now I take Norimin and it's help me balance my hormones and also stopped my crazy pms food cravings... which did tend to get a bit out of control...
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on several different birth controls: PCOS & migraines made it nearly impossible to find a workable one. I was on the Nuvaring and Orthocept (old school pill) and didn't have weight gain. I gained some weight on Orthotricyclen but there were other factors there, too. More recently, I gained 20-25 pounds on the Depo shot while dieting and started getting what I can only call "achy bones" which, at 30, was a little premature. I finally switched to Seasonique, then ultimately Seasonale, and I haven't had any problems with weight gain or loss since. Finally! So, I feel ya. Best thing I did for my physique was getting off the depo shot and finding something else.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo shot to regulate my hormones. I do not make enough progesterone (?) naturally and have too much estrogen, so I have uncontrolled bleeding. So I started the shot in April of 2011. I lost 60 pounds without even trying in 3 or 4 months. Then I gained back 30 without having changed anything. I think the depo shot inhibits weight loss, but it is possible. I have lost a total of 88.4 pounds since then and am still going.

Best of luck to you all!
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The only reason that I haven't switched is because my husband swears this is the most effective birth control. He's one of those people that you can't tell them anything. He thinks that he knows everything. lol. I would like to switch to a low hormone pill but I'm scared that I will forget a pill. My youngest is 1. No need for anymore of those surprises. lol

I understand that type of male mentality but unless he's been a woman on birth control, he DOESN'T know everything. If you feel you need to switch talk to your doctor. There are plenty of alternatives.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options

Where are you gleaning your information? Thanks for not rushing to judgment btw and calling me clueless, oh wait you did....
  • rml_16
    Options

Where are you gleaning your information? Thanks for not rushing to judgment btw and calling me clueless, oh wait you did....

Personal experience to start. Second, read the listed side effects of pretty much every BC out there. Third, I've discussed this with several women who had the exact same personal experience I had. If you read up a bit in the thread, you'll see my first post. I did not overeat and I exercised daily and gained 25 pounds. I got the Mirena out and dropped 7 without tracking or working out. So tell me that wasn't the BC.

It's insulting every time someone like you comes on here and tells women that they're using BC as an excuse when it isn't all that unusual for it to actually be the cause of weight issues in many of us. Do your reseacrh before making a blanket statement like you did.
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I hear a lot of women say that when they got off of certain birth controls the weight came off easier. Before I could exercise 30 minutes a day,5 days a week and it would be enough. But when I got on the shot, I wouldn't even lose a single pound. Which was frustrating. So I been looking up other methods that would give me the same effectiveness with a lesser hormone level.
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    What is Seasonal?? And I understand about the achy bones things. I thought maybe I was imagining it at first.
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my dr told me to go off Depo when I was 30 to lose those last 25 lbs from having kids. I opted for a tubal ligation. My eating and exercise stayed the same and I gained 100 lbs in 6 years. I would gladly take 2 lbs a week. LOL
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo, and have been on it long term at this point (in consultation with my family doctor and an ob-gyn). I did put on a bit of weight in the first 6 months, but it's been years now and I don't notice any difference in my weight (one way or the other) after getting the shot. Presumably the body adapts at some point.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options

Personal experience to start. Second, read the listed side effects of pretty much every BC out there. Third, I've discussed this with several women who had the exact same personal experience I had. If you read up a bit in the thread, you'll see my first post. I did not overeat and I exercised daily and gained 25 pounds. I got the Mirena out and dropped 7 without tracking or working out. So tell me that wasn't the BC.

It's insulting every time someone like you comes on here and tells women that they're using BC as an excuse when it isn't all that unusual for it to actually be the cause of weight issues in many of us. Do your reseacrh before making a blanket statement like you did.

I didn't say that birth control doesn't contribute to things that make it harder to lose weight. It increases your appetite, etc. I have discussed this with doctors and I've tried several a types of birth control myself. Get off of yourself and quit calling people with a different point of view insulting.
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't say that birth control doesn't contribute to things that make it harder to lose weight. It increases your appetite, etc. I have discussed this with doctors and I've tried several a types of birth control myself. Get off of yourself and quit calling people with a different point of view insulting.

OK. Ignore everything I said you you can continue to think the hormones don't affect anything.

My weight gain and inability to lose while on Mirena had NOTHING to do with appetite or how much I ate. I could eat nothing and gain weight on that particular method of BC and SEVERAL people I know had the same issue with it. In fact, after I had it out, I went a full month eating like crazy and not exercising and I LOST WEIGHT after a full year of eating perfectly and exercising and doing nothing but either staying the same or gaining. I gained every week for a month before getting it taken out, even though I was burning a ton of calories and tracking every bite I ate and I was barely hungry at all.

My weight issues on Mirena had nothing to do with an increased appetite. And two physicals and a ton of blood work showed no other reason for my problem. It was 100% caused by the hormones in the BC. Do you understand now?

There's a difference between having a different opinion and simply ignoring facts. You're ignoring facts.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options

OK. Ignore everything I said you you can continue to think the hormones don't affect anything.

My weight gain and inability to lose while on Mirena had NOTHING to do with appetite or how much I ate. I could eat nothing and gain weight on that particular method of BC and SEVERAL people I know had the same issue with it. In fact, after I had it out, I went a full month eating like crazy and not exercising and I LOST WEIGHT after a full year of eating perfectly and exercising and doing nothing but either staying the same or gaining. I gained every week for a month before getting it taken out, even though I was burning a ton of calories and tracking every bite I ate and I was barely hungry at all.

My weight issues on Mirena had nothing to do with an increased appetite. And two physicals and a ton of blood work showed no other reason for my problem. It was 100% caused by the hormones in the BC. Do you understand now?

There's a difference between having a different opinion and simply ignoring facts. You're ignoring facts.

Thank you Doctor.
  • Xhellokitty5588x
    Xhellokitty5588x Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Most people are informed about birth control. Different brands have different hormones and different levels. I was on loestrin 24 for a while (a super low does combination hormone bc) and started to have some problems so my doctor switched it to regular loestrin which has the same hormones just a higher dose. I've gained 5 pounds which refuse to come off and I do feel hungry all the time. Hormones are not just like prescription meds with side effects.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible if you're on the right kind of birth control. I gained so much weight being on the wrong one, but eventually I switched and I'm doing much better now. I've definitely been able to lose some weight with running!