How do I break a destructive cycle?

Options
How do I regain control of my diet? I've stopped losing weight because I am having difficulty controlling cravings for carbs.
It is frustrating to see myself making the same mistake every day, knowing that I am sabotaging myself. Every single day I overeat exactly 700 calories! To make up for it I am running for 1-2 hours a night on top of my usual daily walking and strength training routine, which is ridiculous and unsustainable.
I want to stop this cycle but I don't understand what is going on. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but I wonder if you are particularly sensitive to sugar and empty carbs. If so, you could be addicted, and the only way out is to eliminate all empty carbs, sugar and fruit juices for a while until you regain control of your impulses. It's not your fault, and you aren't "weak, lazy, stupid" or anything else that you might be tempted to think. Before I realized that I had a sugar addiction, I was completely bewildered and demoralized by my lack of self control. Addiction is a serious thing, but you can overcome it.

If this is ringing true to you, the best way is to go cold turkey. Keep reminding yourself that the pain is temporary. Drink hot tea if you get anxious, and try to distract yourself by calling old friends for a chat, or starting a new hobby or project. Eating beans and lentils will help because they raise dopamine and serotonin, making you feel at ease. Also, eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water helps.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted if you find the answer that works for you. We can all learn from each other.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but I wonder if you are particularly sensitive to sugar and empty carbs. If so, you could be addicted, and the only way out is to eliminate all empty carbs, sugar and fruit juices for a while until you regain control of your impulses. It's not your fault, and you aren't "weak, lazy, stupid" or anything else that you might be tempted to think. Before I realized that I had a sugar addiction, I was completely bewildered and demoralized by my lack of self control. Addiction is a serious thing, but you can overcome it.

i'm not sure i would go so far as to call it an addiction, but in my experience, certain types of foods leave me feeling hungry again pretty quickly. these foods tend to be calorie dense foods with lots of carbs, like breads and pastas. i've limited the amount of each in my diet. there's no doubt that these foods were the primary contributors to me putting on weight in the first place, so i'm not surprised that cutting them from my diet (mostly) has resulted in me feeling full on many less calories now. i still eat the occasional sandwich or bagel or bowl of pasta, but i wait until dinner so that i'm not tempted to eat again a couple of hours later (though i will eat bagels for breakfast).
  • HazyButterfly
    Options
    The best way to break a destructive cycle is to change something in that cycle .instead of working out ,eating the same food and then going to the kitchen later and binging start exercising or eating at a different time.start a new healthy plan and stick to it.
    It's all about changing the routine your falling into.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eat the carbs and make it fit into your overall goals. If you just deny yourself the stuff you crave your destine to failure.

Clearly you need to eat more if you are constantly going over. Maybe examine what your goal weight is. Maybe your already at it?
  • ellgee119
    ellgee119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is the same with me and this is what I do!

Are most of your cravings sabotaged at night or mid afternoon? If so, you probably are not eating enough for breakfast! Lots of people have small breakfasts and then save calories for dinner, but this usually makes me unable to stop eating once I do eat at dinner or right before.

My suggestion: Have a large breakfast (atleast 400 cals, up to 600) and make it consist of mainly PROTEIN and not carbs! Carbs satisfy you right away but do not keep you full for long. Protein gives you bursts of energy and satisfy you for a longer period of time and therefor you eat less :) Try having eggs for breaky!

Hope this helped!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I do this sort of thing too - though all too often don't exercise back the calories (as I didn't last night because it was horrible outside) - a solution that has worked for me before which I should do again is to pre-fill my meals on MFP and stick to it.

It worked better when I worked in an office (long before I used MFP) and so took just the food I was going to eat to work, maybe with a few bits of fruit in my desk for worst case - but we're talking 100 calories extra a day, not a fridge at home extra!

Large breakfast is generally counter-productive for me, but does work for some.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 info.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I think you are trying to eat too little...you are a healthy weight for your height so you should be eating closer to maintenance.

I see your goal is 108 pounds...seems a bit low for 5'4"
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If I exercise too much it makes me HUNGRY. Maybe focus on your eating and exercise a little less? You look really thin already. Have you tried lifting weights and eating a bit more protein?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first, if you eat about 2,000 calories a day... well, thats probably what your body needs!!

i have a pizza addiction. i love it. the way i try and control it is by setting a few limits. i try to not eat pizza more then twice a week, and never more then two slices at a time. no limit on toppins though.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'd say 108 is definitely considered underweight if you are 5'4. You are probably overheating because you are actually really hungry.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your current BMI is around 21 - normal. Your goal BMI is around 18 - abnormal.

Why are you doing this to yourself? From where I'm sitting it seems you're going the right way about developing an eating disorder. Please, examine what you are doing now, before you put yourself through any more misery. Good luck :)
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 info.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If those are your current pics in your profile, I would ask why you are trying to lose weight. What is the issue that you see with your body as it is?
  • ClaireM8
    Options
    I think cold turkey on sugar for a time is good - don't have to do it forever, but the more sweets you eat, the more you crave. Having a break from it can change your taste perception and defeat the cravings. I have done this and actually found I had withdrawl (jittery and headaches). After a month (the time limit I set), I found that sweet food was overpowering and I didn't want as much of it. Also, up your water. I think sometimes (weirdly) the body sends out sweet cravings when its just dehydrated.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think for starters your calorie limit is too low- it probably worked OK when you had a bit more weight, but the leaner you get, the less able you are to handle a high deficit. My guess would be that an appropriate deficit would be somewhere in the 1600 to 1800 range, and 1200 is way too low. (I haven't worked out the numbers, so I won't stand behind those exactly, but it's an educated guess).

Secondly, I think you need more *protein and fat at every meal, starting with breakfast. Cereal with soymilk and fruit is pretty much all carbs- it could be improved with whole dairy milk, or a whole or 2% fat greek yogurt with cereal sprinkled on top, or by adding a couple eggs. I would continue to make those type of substitutions all day- make sure every time you eat it's carbs, fat and protein. Having all 3 together will keep your hunger and cravings under control. Instead of just rice and veggies for lunch, have some protein with the stir fry. With your snack of fruit, try a slice of cheddar, or some nuts, or cottage cheese.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just a thought from a professional healthcare person (LPC, CLC)...a question you might want to ask yourself is "why". In other words, there is always a reason for behaviour. We all have our shortcomings and quirks for sure and some of us find comfort in food. I am not sure if that is the case for you. It was for me...I had my reasons and met them head on. Not to be disrespectful, but in 25+ years of counseling, I have rarely seen long term success in the "cold turkey" method.

You are doing a great and wonderful thing by dropping your guard a bit, admitting you struggle with this, and asking for help. You might want to seek out short term help with a professional in this area. If you can't afford it, there are many great sites other than MFP for you to get some great professional guidance and support. That will be key for you. The amazing thing to note it, that many of our difficulties in life we face are symptomatic, but not often do many seek the cause that breeds the symptom. Many in my profession and the healthcare industries just offer bandaids rather than a viable solution. They like the money :)

I would suspect, if you have the courage and willingness, you will find this has little to do with food. Most likely and I can't be held to this because I do not know you, there may be other issues underneath. You are young, very beautiful, and honest. I appreciate anyone at any age who is willing to go out on a limb.

Just thoughts from one who deals with it everyday both professionally and personally. My weight gain came from two very serious vehicle accidents, surgeries, meds, immobility, and I am just now getting on my feet. So in a way, I am "preaching" to myself once again. But, I love me and my wife enough to keep on this journey for better health and recovery. I am walking now without a cane or wheelchair or electric cart and "they" said it couldn't be done. "They" were wrong as they often have been with many.

I wish you well and add the ole man here as a friend if you want. I am a safe bet. Happily married. Please read my profile first and I will be glad to support you. As my MFP friends say, "Together, we journey on." This is not a sprint or quick fix, but a lifestyle.

Peace,

Big D
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Log your food a day prior and be dead-set on only eating what you have set for yourself. Then once you find a groove you can ease up a bit and be more spontaneous with your selections.

Just my opinion, it might help you get back on track.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Watch out because there is a legion of people asking for "scientific proof" about the importance of breakfast
    This is the same with me and this is what I do!

Are most of your cravings sabotaged at night or mid afternoon? If so, you probably are not eating enough for breakfast! Lots of people have small breakfasts and then save calories for dinner, but this usually makes me unable to stop eating once I do eat at dinner or right before.

My suggestion: Have a large breakfast (atleast 400 cals, up to 600) and make it consist of mainly PROTEIN and not carbs! Carbs satisfy you right away but do not keep you full for long. Protein gives you bursts of energy and satisfy you for a longer period of time and therefor you eat less :) Try having eggs for breaky!

Hope this helped!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more.

your daily cals is set at 1200, but if you do a fair amount of exercise, which you say you do, this may not be enough. change your calorie goal to lose 1/2lb per week and make sure you net this figure (eat all your exercise calories back).

try this for a week or 2 and see if you are less hungry.