College Student Looking for Support

Options
Im a college student looking for support and motivation. Hopefully we could discuss different ways to stay fit in college and set goals together. I am on my way to becoming 160 pounds starting at 190.

Replies

• miuko
    miuko Posts: 1
    Options
    hey there, I am a college student going through the same thing, looking to lose a similar amount of weight (192 looking to get to 150 or so) maybe we can chat about what works for us?
  • batmanheather
    Options
    Hey, i am also a college student. Trying to keep away from the freshmen 15. I'm at about 155 trying to get down to 125-120 but also add on muscle. I definitely need some motivation!
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm also in college - i'm a freshman and instead of gaining weight i thought i'd try losing it instead.. or at least staying healthy.
  • cgwonderz
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Caitlin. I'm currently going to school full time, and I am also on a weight loss journey. I have lost over 50 pounds already but still have ways to go. I saw your post and know how hard it can be to keep on top of exercise and diet while going to school. I've had the problem of getting to the gym when I need time to study, etc. I would love to keep in touch, let me know! Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from college in May. College is where I lost all my weight and got to where I am today. Now, I'm just trying to maintain my weight. All the same, I'd love to provide encouragement and support. Anyone here should feel free to add me (But please let me know you found me on this thread)
  • GeeGee808
    GeeGee808 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying, I am sending friend requests to everyone now and hopefully we all can motivate one another on our journey.
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm currently working full time but will be going back to college starting this january and will be working part time too. Can always use more friends/motivators on here!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    im also in college and while i may just be maintaining at this point i do know a decent amount about diets and still work 24/7 at maintaining a healthy lifestyle! feel free to add me on here im on here all the time
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student, I started at 197 lb before mfp, but now am a little under 150 lb... I'd been at 144 a few mos ago, but don't know what happened :(
  • SarahGrace111
    SarahGrace111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also in school, just trying to finally get to the size I've wanted to be for a long time!
  • awerkema1
    Options
    Hey, I am also a recent college grad and I am trying to work on eating healthy and keeping a consistent workout plan. I swam all through college and high school so this is a new thing to not have a set workout plan and have to watch what I eat. Would enjoy any tips or suggestions people have. Good luck on your goals!
  • djames92
    Options
    Hey, I am also a recent college grad and I am trying to work on eating healthy and keeping a consistent workout plan. I swam all through college and high school so this is a new thing to not have a set workout plan and have to watch what I eat. Would enjoy any tips or suggestions people have. Good luck on your goals!
    what kind of tips were you looking for?
  • awerkema1
    Options
    Mostly types of workouts that work for people and stuff like that.
  • octii
    octii Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a college student, too! :D I also work part time :\ which makes things tough [some days I'm so busy I forget to eat meals let alone go work out] and stress and/or social eating is a big thing for a college kid... But we can do it right?! 205 lbs going down to 140-150 hopefully. Short term: 195 lol
  • djames92
    Options

well it really depends on what your trying to do with your workout. if youre trying to lose weight for a number rather then look then you could get away with doing just cardio but if you do only cardio workouts you dont burn as much fat. the best way to burn fat is by weight training. while doing weight training your body burns more carbs and fat then your body does during cardio where it burns pretty much calories only. so you lose more fat by using weights

is this something like what you were looking for?
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    I'm a uni student from Australia :) I'm really worried about being able to fit in my fitness around school next year, blah! I'm 179 aiming for 156 atm. I'd love to be in a community with similar people!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options

One of the big reasons why I lost weight in college was because I joined the college fencing club. I suggest finding something that makes you feel as great as you did when you were swimming (If you can't find a place to swim near you). For example, I joined a rock climbing gym a few months ago. This provides me with a thrill similar to what I felt while fencing.

Other than that, now that I have a full-time job at a desk, I would suggest lots of tea and a few cups of coffee to prevent snaking. I also usually have some gum on me to fight any cravings I may get.
  • awerkema1
    Options

well it really depends on what your trying to do with your workout. if youre trying to lose weight for a number rather then look then you could get away with doing just cardio but if you do only cardio workouts you dont burn as much fat. the best way to burn fat is by weight training. while doing weight training your body burns more carbs and fat then your body does during cardio where it burns pretty much calories only. so you lose more fat by using weights

See I am mostly just trying to maintain my weight. But thanks for the tip about weight lifting. I didn't know that. I am starting a routine monday lifting every other day and doing cardio every day in some form. May try that and change as I find better ways to get in shape
  • awerkema1
    Options

One of the big reasons why I lost weight in college was because I joined the college fencing club. I suggest finding something that makes you feel as great as you did when you were swimming (If you can't find a place to swim near you). For example, I joined a rock climbing gym a few months ago. This provides me with a thrill similar to what I felt while fencing.

Other than that, now that I have a full-time job at a desk, I would suggest lots of tea and a few cups of coffee to prevent snaking. I also usually have some gum on me to fight any cravings I may get.
    Thanks for the great suggestion! One of my friends wants to join a boxing gym and I think that would give me some of the competitive feel that made training for swimming so easy. I will also look into rock climbing. That sounds like a blast! And on your other note, I always have to have my morning coffee so that helps before lunch. The gum idea sounds great, but I am a teacher so spend most of my day talking. Maybe I will try having a cup towards the end of the day so I wont be hungry right after school before I workout. Thanks for the suggestions, you have given me a lot to look into!
  • djames92
    Options

See I am mostly just trying to maintain my weight. But thanks for the tip about weight lifting. I didn't know that. I am starting a routine monday lifting every other day and doing cardio every day in some form. May try that and change as I find better ways to get in shape
    [/quote
    no problem i hope your new routine works for you!