Experience with almond flour?

Options
I'm interested in trying it, but I'd like to hear from those who've used it. I'm thinking I'd try it in shortbread and maybe brownies to start with. Please tell me what you've tried it in, and how it turned out. Thanks in advance. :wink:

Replies

• spangey13
    Options
    I'm not the most experienced but I think you're to use slightly more of the raising agent if you're using Almond Flour in place of flour. It is supposed to be alright to substitute the flour directly for stuff like muffins and cakes. I have used it in a lemon cake. And I just pulled some blueberry muffins out of the oven which I think would have been better off with Almond Flour...

I think brownies would be ok - typically the recipes don't call for a lot of flour.

Good luck :-)
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I really like it. I've used it in everything from protein bars to brownies. It does have a gritty texture though (this may be because I ground mine, rather than buying it).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I really like it. I've used it in everything from protein bars to brownies. It does have a gritty texture though (this may be because I ground mine, rather than buying it).

That's really cool! How did you do it? All the prices I've found so far are kind of up there.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I make gluten free meat loaf with it (some of my family needs that). I don't really have a recipe - just do it by gut feel for the quantities

ground beef
    tomato paste
    eggs
    almond flour - add to get the right consistency
    seasonings

I use a large low metal casserole about 10x16and 3" high
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

That's really cool! How did you do it? All the prices I've found so far are kind of up there.

Just put almonds in a blender or food processor until they're dust :smile: Keep doing it until the oils release, and you get almond butter.
  • Athena98501
    Options
    I make gluten free meat loaf with it (some of my family needs that). I don't really have a recipe - just do it by gut feel for the quantities

ground beef
    tomato paste
    eggs
    almond flour - add to get the right consistency
    seasonings

I use a large low metal casserole about 10x16and 3" high

That's a good idea! Thanks, Bob!
  • Athena98501
    Options

Just put almonds in a blender or food processor until they're dust :smile: Keep doing it until the oils release, and you get almond butter.

Cool, thanks! Sounds like a very fine line, though. lol
  • Athena98501
    Options
    Any other opinions or ideas? :smile:
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    What on earth is almond flour :huh:
  • Athena98501
    Options
    What on earth is almond flour :huh:

It's a low carb, more nutritious flour substitute.
  • cyndymar
    Options
    Excellent for baking , I use it to make ground turkey, chicken patties . U can use it in meatloaf or to bread your fish and to bread your chicken breast its a healthier alternative . I also use coconut flour works well in bajed goods or soups . This is all I use for myself
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've used it quite a bit! There are plenty of recipes out there (I'm not one of those cooks who knows how to substitute easily, so I definitely need that type of direction). It tastes very nice, though the texture of things is slightly different.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Alas, it's about 60 cal higher per serving than normal flour! Yikes! :(
  • Athena98501
    Options
    Alas, it's about 60 cal higher per serving than normal flour! Yikes! :(

For a lot of people here, that's not a bad thing. Particularly as it's a good source of omega fats. For me, carbs are the issue.
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options
    I love it in cookies! Just be prepared for a different texture.
  • Athena98501
    Options

Can you describe it? I would imagine it makes for a denser cookie. Are they also more moist?
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options

Can you describe it? I would imagine it makes for a denser cookie. Are they also more moist?

Just made some peanut-butter chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin/cranberry cookies with it this past weekend. The consensus was that they cookies were more cake like than anything. I would consider them on the moist side but I did use some unsweetened applesauce in the recipe. While not having a GREAT taste they were more than adequate for a sweet snack.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most experienced but I think you're to use slightly more of the raising agent if you're using Almond Flour in place of flour.

Agreed! Using ½ tsp Baking Soda ¼ tsp Salt in a recipe that calls for 1 cup oat flour will help it rise.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I haven't used almond flour but I just made banana bread using almond meal yesterday and it was delicious! The bag calls for replacing no more than 1/2 the flour in a given recipe with it so I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup of the almond meal (recipe called for 1 3/4 c. flour). I also replaced the oil with greek yogurt and the bread was just as good (if not better IMO) than it always is! I've been making this recipe for years and no one was any wiser.