5x5 for me?... also do climbing and possible back issues

Options
I'm looking to start actually making an effort to do resistance work - especially as I plan to soon go on a 'bulking' phase. Got a bar, bells and various other bits - even got a multigym sitting around in bits.
Plan is to set up a gym area at my work unit; also got an incline/decline bench. Don't have a massive amount of space at home, as just renting a room.

A basic 5x5 is the obvious choice.

I generally do indoor rock climbing three times a week - sometimes two, but rarely less.
Don't want the two to 'clash'. Main actions with climbing that are similar to resistance work compare to pull ups and rows.

Also, when I was last doing similar stuff including 'body pump' I found that doing squats, say, with a bar on my upper back gave me some upper back pain - and this was trying all sorts of positions including 'correct' ones.
Any suggestions?

I've had similar pain recently from a combination of climbing/cycling/running/push ups, but it seems to have gone away over time.

So - should I avoid doing pull ups with the 5x5 stuff and leave it until after climbing? Can't really do a whole workout after a climbing session as no lighting at my gym unit and it's getting pretty late usually.

Want some decent abs for the tart value - I believe a general routine like this should cover that?
Have been doing the weider 6 routine, but it's possibly a bit too 'focused' on a few moves etc?

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe you squat too heavy?

When I started squatting heavy, the bar hurts my upper back, so I usually use a towel or something to cushion it. I slowed down and ramped up my progression and now the bars no problem.

And the 5x5 has you doing dead lift once a week, so as far as the two clashing i dont think it will be an issue as long as you have adequate calorie intake. I've seen programs where they incorporate pullup/pushup routines in with the 5x5 you may want to research that
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The bar is probably too high. Make sure you pull you hands as close together as you can on the bar which will squeeze your traps together and give you a meaty spot to rest the bar on.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cheers.

Had the issues in 'body pump' where you're using a very light bar (ie, think I'd maybe 20kg max, but usually with a bar more like 12-15kg, some time since I've done it) - it's halfway between weights and aerobics.
    Think it's general issues with a weak back because I got similar pain from the cycling etc - I try to avoid using a back pack on a push bike because that seems to make it even worse.
    I wouldn't mind if it was just direct pain of metal on skin etc.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Have someone check your form. If you don't have someone local video it and send it to them. I've heard of guys on strength training forums being willing to do this.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I've had that done several times - in body pump classes they are always doing it anyway, as well as at the gym with one of the personal trainer's and the bloke that did the 'box fit' class who offered.

Similarly with the biking etc - made sure I was had the correct posture and while that helped it didn't solve it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should check in with a sports oriented medical professional
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Bit broke at the moment.

When I've discussed such things with doctors in the past their answer has been "well, don't do the stuff that makes it hurt", more likely to get useful advice from a proper sports-biased professional as you suggest I'm sure, but can't justify the cash for the moment.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you've got proper form then my guess and it would be only a guess is that you've got something out of balance. One set of muscles stronger than the other probably related to climbing. When you do the squat your using some muscles you do use when climbing and some you don't. I'd recommend backing way off on the squat weight. Squat with a weight that doesn't hurt. If that means going all the way down to an empty bar then do that. Then work your way up.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Sorry, should have made it clearer (though had waffled a fair bit already :) ) - these were gym issues I've noticed in the past (before rock climbing/cycling/running, which is a recent thing.)

I do have a problem with the tendons in my left shoulder - have a slight chip out of the 'ball'.

However, back problems I think are just down to a weak back generally - used to have lower back problems, from impact (off road biking) and sitting in office chairs, but that seems ok these days - possibly because I don't do that much of either!

Might as well give it a go and see how it feels, but don't want to end up hurting it and causing me pain for another few months doing other stuff.