Calorie burning for lifters?

Options
This may be a dumb and obvious question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Has anyone else who lifts heavy found that they started burning more calories just generally?

I use a Bodybugg and I've been lifting heavy for a month - my daily burns seem to have increased from what they were for the same amount of exercise a month ago. Does that sound right?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds about right. i have been able to up what i thought was my maintennce calories as i am losing inches like crazy since starting a decent strength routine a few weeks ago.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    yes your lean body mass will increase , More muscle = More calories needed
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't wear a Bodybugg or similar, but I've found that I can maintain my weight on a higher amount now (usually around 2700 calories)

Yay for more muscle!! :D
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just got a Bodymedia and it's recording calorie burns I didn't think possible for someone my age with a desk job! I had to significantly increase my calorie intake to match it!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is what I am hoping for! Minute by minute lifting may not burn as much as cardio, but you'll continue to burn more calories after workout.

And as someone else mentioned, more muscle means more calories getting burned even when your body isn't doing a great deal :)
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    More muscle, you burn more calories at rest! The beauty of lifting! :bigsmile:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Absolutely :)
    I think lifting gave my metabolism a real kickstart. It makes keeping this lifestyle so much easier.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well this is fantastic news! So much to love about lifting, and now I can add "being able to eat more deliciousness" to that list!!