right or wrong?

Options
I was wondering wether it's ok to save calories for a weekend or a particular day, this week I earned 1000 calories with cardio and a maybe another 600 on top as I was ill I only managed a couple of slices of toast every few hours for one day I was really low on cals that day, anyway Saturday came and I indulged I mean really ate I logged my calories at nearly 3000! But technically I ate my excercise cals and the cals that I missed on the day when I was unwell on top of maintenance is that right? Would this be ok to do on a week basis earn cals by cardio and have them with my calories once a week? Any thoughts would be appreciated x

Replies

• agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The Body for Life program advocates one day off a week - I normally will have a free meal on the weekend. I don't eat back my exercise cals. I wouldn't do it all the time but for big events then yeah - enjoy the day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    look at your weekly average... as long as you are pretty much on target with that it doesnt matter how you split the week up.

i have noticed i have a pattern of a couple of lower calorie days monday and tuesday, and then high days friday and saturday which are the days i usually eat out!

as long as you arent drastically over your weekly cals then you will have a deficit, and if you have a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I tend not to save up, so weekends I try and log. However I am fairly active at the weekend so end up with a largish number to eat. I eat out and with a few compromises manage without too much trouble. Skip the chips, avoid high cal puddings etc

I don't think that a huge 3000+ day would be right for me. Have taken so long to get out the habit of eating till stuffed I would not want to go back there. This does mean that the upcoming Christmas boozy parties are going to be hard to fit in!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. I carry my deficit / overages through the week. If I go under I add it to my next day, and the next etc until I eat it - same if I go over, I catch it up by the time I weigh on Saturday Morning. Just keep in mind that if you have a high calorie day(s) you may not see change in the scale for a couple days (another week in my case)until the extra food has left your system. I don't freak out if I didn't lose weight that week because I know it will show the next time. Happens the same if I go out for a big meal high in sodium. It's all about averages and as long as the trend is downward that's all I care about.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can probably get away with this, so long as it averages out, but I would be very wary of starving yourself one day just so you can binge the next. I think there's an obvious difference between planning out your week to eat lighter on some days and heavier on others, while still eating fairly healthy (if you look around the forums you see a fair number of people into intermittent fasting), and eating nothing one day to have a binge of unhealthy stuff another day.

I'd probably say take a guess at how many calories you want to "save" over the week, and spread out the deficit over all the other days. That way you're not yoyo-ing around so much between the high days and the low days. Good luck!