Need Alternative to Squats

I dont have a squat rack at my gym. Ive been doing dumbell squats and using the leg press machine.
Not been a problem up until now but I have long ago maxed the leg press out ( only goes to 190lbs) and can no longer hold the dumbells on the next step up in weight.

So i need an alternative I can do on my own (no spotter, billy no mates).

Changing gym isnt an option.

Any ideas?

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    your gym doesn't have a leg press machine you can load weight plates onto? that is surprising.

Do single leg squats. you'll need a lot less weight, and the bonus of working on your balance :)
    default Posts: 124 Member
    sounds like the best option is to switch gyms.

seriously a squat rack is one of the essential pieces of equipment.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    You dont even have a power rack there? Or a bench set you can adjust the height of the rack?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Pistol squats - will keep you busy for a while before you need to add weights.
    Split squats

Isometric exercise - look up Yoga Chair Pose. This will blow your squats away in seconds.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Not even a sled? Like below?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress.html

If your gym has no squat rack, no leg press over 200, and no sled, change gyms.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    I am interested in this also- I work out at home and don't have a good option for doing squats.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    The gym is smack bang on my doorstep has pool, sauna, steam room and spar pool for her (she swims alot) , and its DIRT cheap.
    I really want encourage her to go (shes doing NROWFW).

Might speak to them about hanging weights on the leg press. Pistol squats! thats interesting! Ill try those also the split squats.

Someone at work mentioned hack squats? any good?
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Goblet squats, single leg squats, jump squats
    or
    change gyms!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Bulgarian split squats, squatting with a plate instead of dumbbells, one legged squats.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    jefferson squats
    hack squats
    zircher squats

sumo deadlift is kinda similar.
  • snowbike
    jefferson squats
    hack squats
    zircher squats

sumo deadlift is kinda similar.

Exellent!!! Jefferson and zircher work exellent for me. Hack squat is a little wobbly, but will practice that.
    Cheers all
  • snowbike
    mmm i seem to have bruises on the fold of my elbows from zircher squats.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Front squats :) Work on your clean to get the bar up, and go from there
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Dumbell Lunges
  • Bulgarian Squats
    One Legged Squats
    Jump Squats

To be fair, with enough research you wouldn't need to change gyms what so ever.

...You could also change the way you do the squats. So instead of trying to lift the heaviest weight you can, why not change the workout round. Try for negatives, matrix or super slow.

What's your goal?

Chris

http://FatLossClassroom.com
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Go see manager and ask them to purchase a power rack.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Go see manager and ask them to purchase a power rack.

^^^^ this. If the gym is any good they'll listen to their customers.
  • snowbike
    Bulgarian Squats
    One Legged Squats
    Jump Squats

To be fair, with enough research you wouldn't need to change gyms what so ever.

...You could also change the way you do the squats. So instead of trying to lift the heaviest weight you can, why not change the workout round. Try for negatives, matrix or super slow.

What's your goal?

Chris

http://FatLossClassroom.com

Main sport is endurance mountain biking in the summer, so Im currently rebuilding muscle lost.
    Current plan is to clean bulk to 182lbs (lowest was 171lbs) , currently at 178, 14% BF (im 6ft 2).
    I will then cut back to >171 aiming at >10 %

I really want to start the new season as strong,lean and light as possible. I concentrate of lower body mostly, but do do other sports that need some upper body (wakeboard and other board sports).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    a leg press isn't really an alternate to squats anyway.

Consider hack squats, zirchir squats, bulgarian split squats.
  • irvined2
    irvined2 Posts: 20 Member
    Like the guy said above, if you keep doing what your doing along with Bulgarians( hardest leg exercise...that is why allot of people do not do them!) along with single leg squats...you can really build up your legs. The Key is variations. Try Squat jumps with 10-15 KG dumb bells and try monster walks.....these are a really good way to develop your Major and Minor areas!
  • irvined2
    irvined2 Posts: 20 Member
    Also try different variations (Also like the guy above stated) Move the position of your legs on the leg press, try one leg high one leg low. A variation of foot rotation can have a massive results on your legs. For instance If you do Single leg dumbbell lunges, turn your leading leg in, this will work your glutes and supporting muscles of your body that are not normally stressed when doing orthodox leg movements.