Newbie Runner weight gain.

Options
Well, I started running Thanksgiving day. It was the first day off my weight loss program and I wanted to change things up and start something new. Because of this thread and support of family, I decided that I would start a C25K program. I even signed up for a 5K (Feb. 9th) which will keep me accountable to training.

I have ran two of the days and will run either Tues or Wednesday to complete my first week. During the off days, I have started walking in order to get my muscles used to the strain and to help burn some extra calories during the day. I am eating healthy and tracking everything here on MFP.

My only concern is that I have seen a weight gain since Thursday. Nothing huge, but enough to make we worry about a few things. That said, what I have read is that weight gain is normal for most people when they start exercising because it is water weight due to the tearing and repairing of muscles. Is this something you have experienced?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very likely just water retention to repair the muscles. It was really apparent the first time I ran a 10K - gained several pounds! It disappeared over the next week.

Or it could have been Thanksgiving LOL.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens all the time to me. On normal weeks I exercise a lot - both biking and running, but if I take a break for some reason, I always lose 1-3 pounds. When I go back to my routine, the scale is up again. I've gotten used to it over the last few years, so I don't think about it, and I only record my "exercise weight".
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How much weight you talking? A bit of gain is not uncommon.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Boy am I glad I found this thread. I am experiencing the same issue and was worried. I had been holding steady at about 194 and then this morning, after 2 days of being down sick with the flu, I am up to 200. I was shocked but not too worried.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is my first day of rest. So, crossing my fingers that this is a course correction.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! And definitely take your measurements (I like the Myotape measure; it's dirt cheap and makes it easy to take your own measurements) and monitor them on a weekly basis instead of relying solely on weight. If you're a complete newbie to running, you're very likely to add a little muscle over the first while, so your overall improvement is more likely to show up in the measurements than in the weight. Keeping an eye on them can help keep you motivated.
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i too love the myotape. and yes, you will gain water weight with a new exercise. tearing of muscle and the bodies way of repairing. i use my clothes as an indicator of weight gain and loss and not the scale.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight if I get an injury and have to stop exercising..then when I go back to exercising I put on a couple of pounds but it doesn't stay on for long.
  • cmajeff
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What's that old saying . . . A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat? *LOL ;-)

Your weight will shift up and down as you train more, especially as you start to get deeper into your training and faster in your running times for a variety of reasons. Another tip/suggestion as you work towards your first 5k, don't forget to incorporate some form of strength training for your legs/lower body. Its also is good to add in some Core and Upper body training.

Good Luck in February !!!

PS - I continue to see fluctuations in my weight since I increased my training towards running a 10k, but there has also been a decrease in my pants and shirt sizes ... and that's better than any number the scale provides.
  • cmajeff
    Options
    What's that old saying . . . A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat? *LOL ;-)

Your weight will shift up and down as you train more, especially as you start to get deeper into your training and faster in your running times for a variety of reasons. Another tip/suggestion as you work towards your first 5k, don't forget to incorporate some form of strength training for your legs/lower body. Its also is good to add in some Core and Upper body training.

Good Luck in February !!!

PS - I continue to see fluctuations in my weight since I increased my training towards running a 10k, but there has also been a decrease in my pants and shirt sizes ... and that's better than any number the scale provides.

This morning I woke up and weighed myself. I don't have a Myotape on me but it is something I will be looking for this weekend. I weighed less after a day of rest. So, I am confident in myself that it just 'training weight'. So, this morning I got out and ran and it felt great. I felt stronger, less winded. After my shower and eating breakfast I feel much more awake and energized. That is a nice boost!
  • cmajeff
    Options
    Wanted to give everyone an update.

I have completed the 5K training and started training for a 10K. Over the period of 8 weeks I lost 10 pounds. I started the 10K training and upping my running schedule and adding lifting and I have gained about 3 pounds of 'training weight'.

Lots of NSV

I feel great and I am kicking butt!