How to maintain Atkins weight loss?

Options
Hi guys. I lost most of my weight with Atkins and have been pretty happy with it. However, now I just simply can't sustain that pattern of eating anymore and decided to switch to calorie counting. Have any of you done this? I want to know if it's possible to continue losing weight eating low calories? Or is it even possible to maintain it? I'm concerned. Let me know.

Replies

• thegummyking
    Options
    Anyone, help me. Did anyone do Atkins before MFP?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    to lose weight you need a caloric deficit

to maintain your current weight you need to eat the calories equal to your TDEE

to gain weight you need a caloric surplus

when coming off Atkins and introducing carbs, you may experience a temporary gain in water weight

but if you maintain a caloric deficit, you will continue to lose weight
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My mom tried Atkins, and I resolved never to even try it. No bread? Not in this lifetime!

Just change your macro-nutrient settings to increase your protein because MFP sets it too low. You can lower your carbs to allow for the extra protein. And then just eat food that matches in proportion to your settings while staying in your calorie goal, MFP is great.
  • thegummyking
    Options
    Great! Thank you guys so much. It's just that I've been very closely watching my caloric intake and I'm eating under my TDEE to lose 1 lb/week and I have been gaining weight. I switched to MFP over a month ago and this is the first time I started gaining weight. Could there be something going on? I know for sure that I'm not going over my calories so that is not the problem. When I switched to MFP I set it to lose 2 lb/week and lost so much weight despite the fact that I immediately started reintroducing carbs into my diet. Any clues?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you guys so much. It's just that I've been very closely watching my caloric intake and I'm eating under my TDEE to lose 1 lb/week and I have been gaining weight. I switched to MFP over a month ago and this is the first time I started gaining weight. Could there be something going on? I know for sure that I'm not going over my calories so that is not the problem. When I switched to MFP I set it to lose 2 lb/week and lost so much weight despite the fact that I immediately started reintroducing carbs into my diet. Any clues?

You contradicted yourself.

Weight loss is not always perfectly linear. Water weight does very odd things to the scale, especially after spending significant time messing with it.