confusion about "eating exercise calories"

Options
I'm confused about some of the posts I've read today about whether or not to eat your exercise calories. I thought this site calculated your personal base calories based on the info you put in and the rate at which you want to lose weight ( I put in 1 ib a week) WITHOUT EXERCISE. To me this means you can "eat the exercise calories" and still lose weight as long as you don't go over your net calories calculated for that day. Am I right or mislead about this?

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Technically yes. There have been many discussions about eating your exercise calories because everyone really has a different opinion on the subject. I personally only eat them if I feel like I really need them and am really hungry, or if I want to induldge a little bit and know I'm going to be going out to eat I will exercise extra to get some extra calories for the day.

It really just depends on your body and what works for you. I suggest kind of playing around with it and seeing how you feel, or if you are losing weight when you do or don't eat your exercise calories.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I generally eat most of my exercise calories and I feel happy, energetic and not starving. I have also maintained a regular weight loss doing this. I am fine with even losing one pound a week, because the benefit has been that I have maintained my weight loss longer. I experienced this during the winter holidays. I ate everything and yet maintained the weight I had lost previously.

So, yeah, try to eat the exercise calories, without going over. It has worked beautifully for me in the past and even now, as we speak.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least half of my exercise calories and sometimes all of them. (I'm sure I'll eat them all today at a Super Bowl gathering!:laugh: )

Just be sure too not get too low with your net calories for the day--you don't want to mess up your metabolism!

You may have seen this thread but, just in case I'll post it here. It's got the best advice!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Banks is very knowledgeable about all this!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I seem to be doing ok with eating most of my exercise calories, I've actually lost 5 lb in 2 weeks doing this.
  • footballmom2000
    footballmom2000 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer said eat the exercise calories. She actually came up with different daily calories based on how much I exercise a day.