Fitness with weights, at home?

Options
I've lost all the weight I want now and I'm good about keeping up with my cardio, but I REALLY, REALLY need to do some weights / resistance training according to the doc. (AND, lots of stretching too)

I work out at home, I have exercise bands and hand weights of 3-5-8-10 pounds.

I'm 57 and female.

I'd like to devote 2x a week for about 1/2 hour to start to start out

Anyone care to suggest a little program I should start with . . . . anyone, anyone?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    With that limited equipment you might be better off finding a good bodyweight routine like You Are Your Own gym or something comparable. Alternatively get a gym membership or an olympic weight lifting set and do a routine centered around compound barbell lifts.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Any of Bob Harper's DVDS- they are awesome!!
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd recommned heavier weights, though depending on your situation and setup, you can get a lot of mileage out of your resistance bands by super stretching them, just be sure to check for wear and tear before every workout.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

starting this today -- easy beginner and then can work up
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks, no room for other equipment (just my little livingroom), and no money for gym membership. Hoping to do something with what I've got . . . just need ideas of what types of exercises to start with.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Thanks, no room for other equipment (just my little livingroom), and no money for gym membership. Hoping to do something with what I've got . . . just need ideas of what types of exercises to start with.

Write down every bit of money you spend in a month and tell me you can't find 20 bucks worth of *kitten* that was less important than improving your body.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of good stuff on..

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

10 pounds is not enough resistance. Surely you can buy a starter barbell kit. Every garage sale I have seen always has someone almost willing to give weights away. If nothing else get a broomstick and tie plastic gallon milk jugs filled with water on each end.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Check out this site - it will get you started. Start lighter, work up. No need going in whole hog the first day and hurting yourself.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Look into adjustable dumbbells. One set that goes from 5lbs-90lbs will take up less space than the few pairs of dumbbells you currently own. And you can scale up accordingly. 10 lb dumbbells don't really count as weight training.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is a great place to start. You can use the lighter weights at first, and then if they're easy (you're not burning before the set is done) increase the weight. Start with 30 Day Shred, probably, but I like Ripped in 30 and others. I checked them out at the library first to find the ones I liked the most, and bought two (RI30 and Extreme Shed & Shred).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest reading the 'new rules of lifting for women', quick read, outlines a good routine and lot's of helpful info!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

10 pounds is not enough resistance. Surely you can buy a starter barbell kit. Every garage sale I have seen always has someone almost willing to give weights away. If nothing else get a broomstick and tie plastic gallon milk jugs filled with water on each end.

10 pounds IS enough for someone starting out (aka never lifted before), but you'll grow out of that pretty fast. You need to use a weight where you can do no more than 8 reps before you "fail". If you can do more than 8, increase your weight. Light weight, high reps won't get you anywhere...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    If you can buy an adjustable bench and a couple of 15 lb weights you can make a great start. You can sometimes combine 2 weights to increase (e.g. a 5 and 3 lb to make an 8) depending on the type of weight. Get the new weightlifting rules for women. a great book to help you along.
  • tippett610
    tippett610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred is on You Tube (free) and you can do it with the weights that you have.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

For someone just starting out, 10 lbs may be perfect, especially for some of the exercises. Why not start with what you have and then reassess if you need more.

(I do like the idea of using what you have around … I didn't have weights when I first started JM, and used soup cans - the 1 or 2 pounds was plenty at the time! But waaay to light now, lol)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm doing HIIT with 7.5lb weights and a resistance band, targeting 3x/week for 30-40 minutes (I run 2-3x per week as well).

I use the weights for squat/curl/press moves and lunges with curls, the band for rowing and squats, and then body weight for pushups, alternating lunges, core work, etc. If you've done no work with weights, you may want to start with 5-6lb and increase as the weight gets too easy.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    First let me say, congrats!!! You look amazing!

Second, Youtube is a great place to start as well for full routines. You can also do things like squats, planks, push-ups, etc. Bodybuilding.com also has some great information- beware there is an enormous amount of information. There are beginner workouts for women.

I have a very limited gym space so I used Bodybuilding.com to create workouts based on the equipment I have available. They have a cool Bodyspace section to track the workouts too. Good luck!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I second all the Jillian Michaels suggestions. 30 day shred good starting point, then No More Trouble Zones and Extreme Shed & Shred.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

For someone just starting out, 10 lbs may be perfect, especially for some of the exercises. Why not start with what you have and then reassess if you need more.

(I do like the idea of using what you have around … I didn't have weights when I first started JM, and used soup cans - the 1 or 2 pounds was plenty at the time! But waaay to light now, lol)

Maybe for some exercises that aren't worth much if anything to a beginner looking to lose weight. It would be best to focus on big compound movements like deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, rows, pullups. 10lb DBs aren;t going to be enough for any of those, hence why bodyweight exercises or bucking up and getting heavier weights and at least an adjustable bench would be much better.