holiday weight

Options
Piggybacking off another post "can 4 days be alot of damage" or something like that...if you've gained weight 5+ lbs during the past couple days because of the holiday, shouldn't I be able to lose that same weight in a couple days with no bad effect to my body? i ask because I know some folks on here that say it's better to lose slowly instead of fast.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained 5+ lbs of fat, a lot of that is probably water from the sodium you consumed. I bet you might have gained 1, perhaps 2lbs at most. The rest will fluctuate as it always does when your body holds water.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For one it largely depends on how out of control you let the last four days get.

For the most part though, you should focus on getting back into your routine and not weigh for about a week while you get your body back on track. A good portion of what you "put on" will likely be water weight which will be from a combination of sodium and any processed foods that might have snuck in. It will drop off pretty quickly once you get back on track. That isn't what people mean when they say losing slowly is better to more quickly. (They generally mean slashing your calories and looking for a large loss multiple weeks in a row).

Just get back itno your routine and try not to worry about it too much.
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gah! I needed this post today! Praying its water weight! :)
  • _BETSY_
    Options
    I doubt you gained 5+ lbs of fat, a lot of that is probably water from the sodium you consumed. I bet you might have gained 1, perhaps 2lbs at most. The rest will fluctuate as it always does when your body holds water.

this
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I added sodium to my food diary to keep track of how much I was consuming because a news report was talking about how much sodium is added into our everyday foods like bread, milk, chicken etc. I noticed that the holiday menu contained a lot of sodium. So, I too am hoping that drinking a lot of water and getting back to my regular diet and exercise will reduce the holdiay gain quickly and help me get back on track to my final goal.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What helped me is that I ate my dinner in reverse. I ate my veggies and turkey first. By the time I got to my tiny 1/2 cup of potatoes I bearly took a couple bites. I didn't leave the desserts out on the table either. They where on a seperate table where I couldn't see them from the dining table. Good luck! I bet it was salt intake like the others mentioned. Don't give up, there's only a few holidays a year that really try to derail a good diet.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Get lots of water over the next few days (especially if you don't normally get a lot of it). It will help flush out the extra sodium from the holiday eating. You will most likely be pleasantly surprised at how much water weight you will flush out this week!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I ballooned up 8 lbs. Most likely sodium and water weight. lol.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Gah! I needed this post today! Praying its water weight! :)

I second this! I don't really understand water weight, but all I know is that it is frustrating and makes me feel like I've blown it. I will try to drink lots of water the next couple days.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I gained 6.2 lbs these last 8 days while traveling. It seems to be the norm for me to gain between 5-8 lbs on holidays and vacations. I logged my weight .. my ticker looks woefully sad .. LOL but I'm not too worried.. I suspect I can lose at least half of that by the next holiday .. (Christmas/New Year's)

It's those dang holiday drinks! I may drink a glass of wine with dinner here and there .. but I was downing mixed cocktails and the sort most of this last week.. gets me every time! :drinker:
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Right at a 2 pound gain for me. Not bad considering I guess..??
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Should disappear almost as quickly as it appeared. Despite +5ish pounds, I'm nearly back to my current trend line of 169-170ish.

11/21/12 169.5
    11/22/12 167
    11/23/12 174.5
    11/24/12 172.5
    11/25/12 172
    11/26/12 171.5
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    thanks folks! you all were very helpful. Guess I have to flush my system with some water
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just did an article on my blog that gives 3 basic simple tips to losing weight. Allthe other advice in the world would be secondary to these 3 tips. Check it out at www.sftrails.com