Sundays Suck, How do you guys resist temptation days?

Options
Every Sunday my grandma has the whole family over for lunch. All kinds of delicious food and then dessert. Its so hard not to overeat! How do you guys resist the temptation??

Replies

• firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing during morning weekend breakfast with my family. It's really hard, I know but you need to discipline yourself. Pick out the most healthy choices and put a certain amount on your plate. Set a certain calorie limit depending on what your overall caloric intake is, keep in mind you want to save some calories for the rest of the day. As you're eating take out your phone(if you're using the MFP app) and record what you're eating. It may seem awkward and socially unacceptable to do at the table but it's important. You can see what you're eating as you're eating and as the numbers stack up you'll get discouraged to eat more.

If you're family members ask what you're doing tell them you are trying to keep control of your intake. My family has become used to it and I don't feel awkward/wrong doing it anymore. This has helped me a lot to keep control of my intake. What also helps is drink a lot of water or seltzer before you eat.

Another way, if you're still itching for more, is to add a few more hundred calories of food but only enough that you know you can exercise off and then work out later in the day.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Before you go to her house, try eating a big salad, and an apple or something. This will fill your tummy with healthy, low cal foods and then when you get there you might get full that much sooner. It is much easier to say no when your actually full.

If there is a big spread... make sure you are picky, only go for the stuff you absolutely LOVE, so its super worth while. Being choosey and only splurging on things that are your favorites, is a good thing to do ALL the time actually!

Also try chewing more, eating slower, and putting your fork down between bites. This has 2 advantages your body takes time to adjust to fullness and it can help you prevent overeating, plus you will enjoy you food more cause you taste it instead of inhaling it:)

Don't bother cutting it out all together because then you are going to resent your diet

Try doing more exercise on that day, and use it as a motivation to eat better the rest of the week.

Hope you found this helpful, good luck!
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I go for the high protein dishes and the fruits and vegetables at family gatherings, and if I decide I want to splurge on dessert, I take a small piece of whatever it is and split the portion with my husband. It helps me keep my goals in line, and I don't feel so deprived or left out. Lord knows no one can cook like a grandma!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Don't bother cutting it out all together because then you are going to resent your diet

Try doing more exercise on that day, and use it as a motivation to eat better the rest of the week.

^^^This!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Ask her what she's making, and log some estimates ahead of time
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    One lunch a week.. why not just enjoy it?