Have you had a personal trainer? If so, was it worth it?

Options

Replies

• DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My trainers are Shawn T (Insanity & Aslyum) and GSP (Rushfit). They come to work in my garage M-F, sometimes twice per day.
    I doubt that I'd hire a personal trainer since I see them as an 'accountability' tool. That's it.

You pay the money, now you force yourself to show up. You've paid you money, so you follow the nutrition plan. I have a couple of guys on my FL that hassle me if it's looks like I'm slacking or not consistently getting my cals in. Just find the right friends on MFP.

The above is my opinion and it's worth exactly what you piad for it.

Mine is Chalene (Turbo Fire). *giggle* And I get it in the backyard early in the morning.
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a PT, we work out at my house/outdoors for an hour three times a week. She is incredible and pushes me to do things I never thought I could do, also makes me work out the parts of my body I usually don't like doing ( for me shoulders). I get a great workout with her, plus walk my dogs 30 mins every day and on the days off from the trainor I do interval cardio for another 30 mins. I realized how great it is to get outside and workout and do all different stuff. I found her from personal recomendations and she is highly qualified and certified and also spent an hour with me before we even started to discuss goals, fitness level and for her to get to know me and vice versa to see if we were a good fit. To me, worth every penny I pay her.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I had a great one -- not in a gym I belonged to. I was stuck and could not lose weight after I hit 40. I tried every diet under the sun, lose a few and then gain them back. Finally at 44, I decided to hire a trainer. I have always worked out but I did let myself slide and had gained about 50 pounds thru a move, etc. I started at 189 with him and ended up at 160 in a space of about 6 months. He was tough but definitely not mean. He just kept saying you can do it. Push yourself, rest a minute and try again. If I could afford it again right now I'd do it! If you have the $, do it! I had a trainers at my gym that really didn't help me at all. He overworked me with weights and I couldn't lift my arms for a week. I recommend you do your research on the trainer.
  • tweetifun
    Options
    I have a personal trainer but she is with a personal training studio not a gym. If you decide to try it out buy one session and consider those sessions their job interview. And only book with a specific trainer after you've reviewed their qualifications. Are they an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer? What is their workout outlook? Do they like well-rounded workouts or prefer to focus on heavy weights?

For a look at what types of certifications and education trainers should have check out this link. This is for my trainer's studio. http://www.healthandwholeness.info/coaches.php

Good luck!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, but she runs her own gym and isn't part of some big-box deal. I do group workouts which works wonderfully for me because I don't have to feel like I'm the main focus and that I'm being scrutinized at every turn, but she pushes me to attempt harder moves or complete more reps.

I'd shop around before committing, that's for sure!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I went to one a few times and it was definitely worth it. It's nice to have that motivation.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts-

EFF A TRAINER, BRO. Especially one that works for some chain gym. Here are my reasons-

1.) They are all extremely egotistical
    2.) Most of them are unedcuated and do not have the proper certifications. (which hey, if they did, okay.. be egotistical)
    3.) They spread BROSCIENCE like none other!!!! Eat 6 times a day, eat protein directly after you workout, dont' eat dinner past 7pm, etc. etc. etc.
    4.) I see them instructing people to do exercises with improper form ALL the time. Sometimes I want to jump in and be like hey dude maybe you shouldn't let that girl deadlift something with her legs straight and her back bent with her elbows out or squat with her back bent over.
    5.) They often don't pay proper attention to their clients and track their goals properly. I see them texting, reading a pre-made "training book", etc. and completely ignoring their clients. They also don't properly set up goals and track them as they should. They see sooo many people so how could they possibly do that?
    6.) I hate people telling me what to do. Especially if I think they are a complete moron. Especially if they haven't the slightest clue about nutrition. Especially if they get in my face and act like i'm stupid.
    7.) the price. Seriously? EFF THAT!

I would much rather buy a book like The New Rules of Lifting and go at it myself. I could see using a trainer to learn proper form (if you can get one that knows what the hell their talking about) but once that was done I'd carry on my own. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If they are actively trying to sell you the product I'd probably not hire them out of spite. Then again, I'd also choose a different gym but that's how I roll.

I think to answer your question: Some trainers are very good and some aren't. Some people could benefit from them and some would end up wasting their money.

I have a personal trainer. As opinionated as I am I also grilled him pretty tough before hiring him so I could figure out whether or not I thought he was clueless in the grand scheme of trainers. Fortunately, I believe I have enough general knowledge to make that assessment. I also hired him for a very specific purpose and with very specific goals. He is working with me strictly on squat technique, deadlift technique (sumo and traditional) and a few other barbell lifts and some mobility work. He's a strongman competitor himself and he understands the technical aspects of these lifts.

He's been very beneficial to me and my lifts are going up at a pretty fast pace -- much in part to his training.

But having said that, had I hired "random trainer guy" I might end up standing on a bosu ball with 10lb dumbbells in my hand, in which case I'd have wasted my time and money.

Just giving you some context.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have three trainers and go to a boot camp facility. I think it is way more cost effective to do something like the boot camp where it is one monthly cost for training and nutrition.

Personal trainers can be great, however, it can be outrageous in price. Remember that most trainers make commission on what they sell. If you can afford it and want the extra push, go for it. If not, you may be better off finding your own work out to do at the gym.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I am really happy to have a spotter, and someone to check my form, and accountability. Just make sure you are doing what YOU want to do. The only reason I am still doing heavy, compound type lifts is because I insist on it, otherwise he would have me be doing some really bro-ish stuff!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes I have, and yes it was. I saw my trainer twice a week. If you find someone who is able to give you the results you want, it's absolutely worth it. Not only is it motivating, but you learn a lot that you can use on your own.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes I've had one and yes it's worth it. It's all based on what you need!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the trainers. There are great ones and there are flaky ones.

I'm someone that thrives on someone telling me what to do in a workout setting. I don't want to have to go wander a gym and think about what I need to do next. So from that respect I do really well with a trainer there making me move from one exerccise to the next. But, whenever I've used trainers, they've been at gyms where the only option was to workout with a personal trainer. I think those gyms tend to get better trainers than your average Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness type gyms.

These days, I use Shawn T (INSANITY) ~ I can workout in my basement and it's a video that's finally challenging enough to keep my interest.

If you do end up working with a trainer, yes it holds you accountable because you have to show up, but make sure you hold them accountable too! They should have plan for you. They should know - in advance - which major muscle groups you're going to work that day, they should be providing you with what you should be doing on the days you don't meet, etc.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think it really is a matter of personal preference. And of course some trainers are a lot better than others. I used a trainer about 6 years ago, a female, who was only concerned about my balance and doing Yoga and Pilates stuff. I hated it and saw no results. I now work with a male trainer who is working on my strength and am seeing amazing results. A woman I work with that use to compete in body building cannot believe the results. She says the definition in my arms are like someone lifting for 2 years. I've been lifting since July. And had 6 weeks off due to hand surgery. Having a scheduled time to meet keeps me going and motivated. But everyone is different. And some trainers are better than others.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I started back at the gym November of 2011 I was really feeling defeated and out of shape. I never really knew what to do at the gym, how hard to push myself, how little to push myself. So, I hired a trainer. I tried 2 and the 2nd one really jelled with me. I liked her knowledge, her attitude and she a pleasure to work with even though I'd tease her and say I hated her. She said she knew she'd done her job when I said that. Whenever I'd feel like I wanted to quit she kept me going. I've learned a lot about how to work out in the past year. I've lost 75 pounds doing the exercise too. So, for me it's been great. Right now I'm transitioning to more group classes that are like the personal training sessions, because now I know what to do. I know how hard to push myself. I'll still do personal traing now and then, because now I have different goals. Not so much lose weight, but to get stronger. A trainer can help me do that.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you need a trainer, then research and find one based on qualifications, experience and proven results. Ask for others to recommend one. Trainers are like every other profession, there are good, bad and plenty of mediocre. I would definitely avoid anyone giving me the hard sell though, as we are bound to have a personality clash.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the trainers. There are great ones and there are flaky ones.

I'm someone that thrives on someone telling me what to do in a workout setting. I don't want to have to go wander a gym and think about what I need to do next. So from that respect I do really well with a trainer there making me move from one exerccise to the next. But, whenever I've used trainers, they've been at gyms where the only option was to workout with a personal trainer. I think those gyms tend to get better trainers than your average Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness type gyms.

These days, I use Shawn T (INSANITY) ~ I can workout in my basement and it's a video that's finally challenging enough to keep my interest.

If you do end up working with a trainer, yes it holds you accountable because you have to show up, but make sure you hold them accountable too! They should have plan for you. They should know - in advance - which major muscle groups you're going to work that day, they should be providing you with what you should be doing on the days you don't meet, etc.

^^^^^^^This 100% I don't have to plan what to do, it is done for me. I love that. I'm very busy so one less thing to worry about.
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I never saw the point in them, but then I was married to a guy who told me what I needed to be doing and was very savvy about fitness, but when we split up and I've now moved away and have since rejoined a gym, I found that I needed something extra than just cardio and exercise classes, so I bit the bullet and signed up with one. I've done exercises I would never have done before and wouldn't do on my own, and he's totally changed my diet and so far it's amazing I'm loving it, I see him twice a week at the moment and the. Go 3 other times on my own.

Sounds like your gym is being very pushy though, if you have seen results on your own before I'd be tempted to tell them to shove it for the time being and give yourself a couple of months and see where you get! Then maybe re-visit the personal trainer idea if you aren't getting what you want!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Intro trainer sucked. The guy I decided I like and hired... AWESOME.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    yes . she comes to my home( no excuses) with all the equipment,( weights, kettlebell, swiss ball, boxing gloves etc) pushes me when I want to give up and mixes up all my sessions, keeps my technique with weights/planks and push ups correct.