periods

Options
Aside from being a total psycho when I have my period, it also affects my eating habits and how I work out. I'm doing good for eating but I find my body really takes a beating, just from a little bit of cardio, even 10 minutes. I can't just give up exercising for 5 days but I have horrible cramps (even after working out) and I get ungodly sore. I also read that when you are heavy on your period it is the best time to work out so I would like to do so. Does anyone else have the same problem? What do you do?

Replies

• rosalie_g
    Options
    ugh I hate period weeks. I dont get cramps so much and I even find that since eating better my periods are lighter but I get soooo lazy and feel just exhausted. I also feel hungry ALL the time. It's awful. I still havent figured out how to get through it without over eatting.
  • KoriBarry
    KoriBarry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girls! Today is day #1 for the period and I feel as if I'm going to eat this keyboard. My eating habits are the same and typically right now I'm ok as far as hunger goes. Not today though! If there was a cake in here it would be in my belly! Hopefully when I go home after my shift (9:30pm) tonight I will have the energy to do my cardio! Any motivators to help me get movin?? Where did you read about working out when it's the heaviest?? I would have thought the opposite.
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are NOT alone with that. I usually skip working out for a day or two before my period and definitely the day of. I always have cravings, too, especially for chocolate. It's terrible! I would love to know a secret to taming those cravings around that time.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I hear you. When I'm not on hormonal BC, my pms and periods are nightmarish. One tip I've heard is taking iron and calcium supplements in low doses throughout your cycle, and drinking small amounts of coffee and/or red wine during 'that time.' I've never tried these, because the pill basically fixed it for me, but it might be useful.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I read it in womens health a few days ago I think. And when you said cake, I drooled. lol Cake would be wonderful. If I do well in my weigh in tomorrow I'm going to treat my menstrual self to a piece of carrot cake or something. Yum!

I think the best thing we can do is just try to get in a bit of cardio as often as we can and if we don't feel like it, then that's how it is, we can't control our periods and what they do to us. I personally have a pretty crappy period. I get back aches and leg aches and stomach aches and head aches, even when I don't work out. So I guess we just have to deal with it. I take a midol before I work out and after. Other than that.. I'm just gonna keep going with the flow I guess..no pun intended.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I never thought about supplements but that probably makes sense! Maybe talk to my doctor about it if it gets too bad. When I lose weight it usually gets better so maybe I'm on the right track to fixing it anyway!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Before I was a stay at home mom, my monthly friend, caused me to miss 1 day a month from work because it was so bad. Thankfully, it's eased up some since having a baby, but I find that doing water aerobics during the monthly friend helps extremely well. Also, sitting in the hot tub after a workout. I retain about 5lbs of water during my friend so I just don't weigh myself that week. As far as cravings go, I crave chocolate. So I have a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and grab a handful when I need it. Or lately I discovered Chocolate Cheerios, those have been really nice at curbing the sweet tooth.