which Polar HRM should I buy?

Options
I am going to buy a polar HRM, but I was curious to hear which model people seem to like the most???

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Definitely the Polar F6--I got the light pink one--LOVE!!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT60. It is a personal coach in a watch. I can wash the chest strap in the washing machine. It has a GPS that judges distance. It just doesn't work very well for yoga but has been great for anything else I have wanted to do. I can also change out all of the batteries myself without sending it in for repair.
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I just went through this decision and ended up with the Polar F6. I needed a coded HRM because I work out in crowded gyms and didn't want interference. The F4 is a decent choice for a basic, non-coded HRM.
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 model at REI for $90 a few weeks ago. What I like about it is that you can change the batteries yourself in the watch and chest strap. The monitor worked the first time I used it and everyday since. It does not have all the bells and whistles as the more expensive HRM's but it gives me the info I am looking for. That is, calories burned, heart rate, time in heart rate zone, total workout time, avg heart rate and max heart rate. You cannot upload the info to a PC but I manually enter the info on the Polar web site. I read alot about Polar and Timex and I liked the Timex watch better but I did like the Polar chest strap more. Bottom line, I am very happy with the purchase and it does make exercise more fun and the readings are more reliable than the readings on my treadmill. Good luck!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been thinking about the FT 60, or the FT 11. I do most of my workouts at the gym, but I also like to go hiking on the weekends, so I would like something that would tell me how many calories I am burning while I am hiking. I also would be interested in knowing how many miles I am hiking.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I started with the Polar F-6 and then I got the F-11. They were both really good HRM's but I like the F-11 a bit better because it has all the programs in it that the F-6 didn't and also has the fit-test on it.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been thinking about the FT 60, or the FT 11. I do most of my workouts at the gym, but I also like to go hiking on the weekends, so I would like something that would tell me how many calories I am burning while I am hiking. I also would be interested in knowing how many miles I am hiking.

The GPS is exactly accurate when you are doing a lot of hills because it doesn't have an altimeter. So it judges distance "as the crow flies". Just something to take into account. Other than that I really like the training program in the FT60 as it gives suggestion of how much time each week to spend in each HR zone based on the input parameters. It does a little fitness test to judge your fitness level also and OwnZones helps figure out how hard your workout should be that day based on how cardio tired you are.

The FT60 with the footpod instead of the GPS might be more of what you are looking for. That way it will more accurately measure you distance even if you have a lot of switch backs.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chenoachem for the info. Is the foot pod something you hook onto your shoe? Is it like a pedometer?
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use your HRM for swimming? I notice that the Polar ones claim to be water resistant to 50 meters, but I'd like to know for sure before I hit the lap pool with my brand new $100+ toy...
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Thanks Chenoachem for the info. Is the foot pod something you hook onto your shoe? Is it like a pedometer?

I believe that is the case. I have the GPS since I look for distance running. I have only seen pictures of the footpod.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Do any of you use your HRM for swimming? I notice that the Polar ones claim to be water resistant to 50 meters, but I'd like to know for sure before I hit the lap pool with my brand new $100+ toy...

Polar suggests just not using the buttons while under water. I don't swim with mine but I do wear it in the shower to rinse it off after each run. Never had a problem with it.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I used mine during water aerobics class and never had any problems with it.