Keep having a net under 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There would be some merit to the idea of trying to add some high-calorie, nutritionally-dense whole foods as snacks just to boost your calorie intake. But if you don't, I highly doubt you will starve to death. Unless you do, in which case, whoops
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing okay. What I noticed is that you have a lot of low calorie processed breakfast foods....cereal and breakfast bars these are usually higher in carbs and low in protein. Not always a bad thing but there are better choices. You might try changing your macros to a higher protein percentage than what MFP gives you. I did and it just helped me to focus on more higher protein choices and cut out some of the extra carbs...that along with eating back some of my exercise calories (all now that I have a HRM) has really helped.

Yeah, I thought that myself. But I don't have time in the morning to be spending alot of time making something. What would you suggest as an alternative to cereals for breakfast then?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You seem to be doing okay. What I noticed is that you have a lot of low calorie processed breakfast foods....cereal and breakfast bars these are usually higher in carbs and low in protein. Not always a bad thing but there are better choices. You might try changing your macros to a higher protein percentage than what MFP gives you. I did and it just helped me to focus on more higher protein choices and cut out some of the extra carbs...that along with eating back some of my exercise calories (all now that I have a HRM) has really helped.

Yeah, I thought that myself. But I don't have time in the morning to be spending alot of time making something. What would you suggest as an alternative to cereals for breakfast then?

Eggs are great for you. I make mine the night before. Don't be afraid to prepare snacks and meals the day before. Also, you could always pick up some higher calorie protein bars (like 300 calorie bars) to help increase your intake or do what I said earlier.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, and my net is around 600-800. If you don't feel like **** and are getting your nutrients, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, it all depends on how much you have to lose. I've got 38lb to drop; I'm not in danger of starving anytime soon!

No!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    If I was that young the things I'd do differently.

OP figure out TDEE then eat slightly below that unless you are obese.
    PM if you have any Qs.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, and my net is around 600-800. If you don't feel like **** and are getting your nutrients, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, it all depends on how much you have to lose. I've got 38lb to drop; I'm not in danger of starving anytime soon!

And how much of that is muscle?

Not much, actually! I've lost 5% body fat in 10lb. I work out routinely and keep my protein intake high.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Three eggs (or egg whites, if you prefer) in a bowl - put them in the microwave for 60 seconds and they're done. Top them with a slice of cheese (reduced fat cheese, if you prefer) and you've got 200-300 calories with a good dose of protein to start the day. Doesn't take any longer than it does to pour a bowl of cereal and milk.
  • kalicee
    Options
    Your net should be at least 1200 or you risk using your muscle as fuel (decreased muscle lowers metabolic rate so you burn fewer calories even when relaxing/sleeping, etc, so not good). But check the foods that you enter when you're not using bar codes, because a few, not many, are inaccurate. one choice for chicken breast lists about 10 calories and 0 protein gms for 3 oz. serving, so I deleted that one from my record and found a better entry. This is a great program, but not perfect. Good luck! :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Your net should be at least 1200 or you risk using your muscle as fuel (decreased muscle lowers metabolic rate so you burn fewer calories even when relaxing/sleeping, etc, so not good). But check the foods that you enter when you're not using bar codes, because a few, not many, are inaccurate. one choice for chicken breast lists about 10 calories and 0 protein gms for 3 oz. serving, so I deleted that one from my record and found a better entry. This is a great program, but not perfect. Good luck! :smile:

somewhat correct depending on OPs height and activity.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you struggle to eat enough calories, then start eating higher calorie foods; nuts, avocado, cook meats in EVOO, protein bars, protein shakes or go to town on a jar of peanut butter. Also, you don' t have much to lose, so your account should be around 1 lb per week and you should be eating 50% or more of your exercise calories.

Additionally, when you don't eat enough, your body will catabolize lean body mass which makes it harder to have a lean and tight body. Muscle is what makes you lean and tight. Below is what I mean. Also, if you are not weight training, I would suggest starting because weight training is what helps you keep your muscle (in conjunction with protein and a small calorie deficit). If you eat properly and exercise properly, you will increase the chances of looking like the girl on the right. If you don't, then you will look like the girl on the left.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

This
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    add something to those cheese sandwhiches you seem to love...
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

PM if you have any Qs.

Everyone is different. My TDEE less 20% = 1056 calories a day. I eat that and I am never hungry. However, I only eat clean and never have sodas or other empty calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

PM if you have any Qs.

Everyone is different. My TDEE less 20% = 1056 calories a day. I eat that and I am never hungry. However, I only eat clean and never have sodas or other empty calories.

Do you exercise? If so, then your TDEE is higher, i not, then that could be right based on your ticker.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I only just started this recently but some people are saying that a net calorie intake of under 1200 calories is too low. But the thing is, I am eating quite alot, although I'm not then eating back the calories I burn through exercise.

1200 calories is *NOT* a lot of food. If it is a high volume, then it's probably not a balanced diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Not eating leads to death. Eating only tiny amounts leads to organ failure which leads to death.

You may as well come on here and tell us how much crack you smoke. Don't post that you are only netting a few hundred calories a day and that you aren't hungry. It sounds like you have an eating disorder - or a death wish.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal, not hitting your net goal can have long term problems. It slows your metabolism, especially if you workout. You need calories, its like fuel. Even if you do not want to eat your calories because you are not hungry, do it. You have to train your body to have healthy habits.

My mom would not net her 1200 calories, she felt the less calories the better. After 3 months, she lost her hair.

Follow the plan, take it for someone who lost 2 years ago and kept almost all of it off until these last couple of months, which was my fault due to stress.

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, train your body.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

PM if you have any Qs.

Your TDEE or maintenance isnt 1200...I highly doubt that unless you are very sedentary or extremely short or have such a reduced RMR......or metabolic disease.....
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your holier-than-thou attitude, but I'm doing just fine. Again, have lost 5% body fat and therefore very little muscle of the ten pounds I've already lost. I'm eating a balanced diet and keeping my protein intake high. My health care providers have no concerns whatsoever. I never said that my method was for everyone, and it would take an idiot to believe I would keep doing this forever.

But either way, I'll certainly take your 'professional opinion' into account.
  • SKJ98
    SKJ98 Posts: 25
    Options
    I feel like as long as youre eating enough that you arent hungry and you get enough nutrients and such then i think it's fine. As long as you dont go overboard and start hating yourself for eating or become way under weight i think its fine.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Thanks for your holier-than-thou attitude, but I'm doing just fine. Again, have lost 5% body fat and therefore very little muscle of the ten pounds I've already lost. I'm eating a balanced diet and keeping my protein intake high. My health care providers have no concerns whatsoever. I never said that my method was for everyone, and it would take an idiot to believe I would keep doing this forever.

But either way, I'll certainly take your 'professional opinion' into account.

No offense but most of the high cal eaters are losing about 1/2-1lb a week.
    at your intake you obviously arent.
    Maybe you need higher calories to boost your leptin and allow better fat loss...
    Care to share stats with us?

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Routine

Maybe we can offer advice to get you better fat loss?

OP i'm not trying to hijack a thread.
    (((HUGS)))