The good, the bad, the ugly

Options
Hey all! I am just in need of a little reassurance. I am now down 18 lbs which anyone would be happy about. I started out at 173 and now I'm down to 155, I am 5'3. I took pictures when I started this journey in a bathing suit, took pictures at -10 lbs and took them again today. I can tell in my thighs and legs that I have lost weight but other than that I really can't tell anything. It's very frustrating!!!!! My clothes don't really fit any different except a pair of pants that I put on yesterday weren't as tight in the thighs. I just feel like I'm working my butt off (been on this road since Oct.) and I'm starting to get impatient....haha I am going to press on and keep at it but I can't wait to actually visually see the results!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Superbowl Sunday!

Replies

• justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    18lbs is great! Try being hypothiroid and only be able to loose about 1/2 lb per week despite the fact that you are working your butt off and are staying within your calorie goals. However, if that is the only way for me, so be it.
    Everyone is different and loose weight differently. Keep at it! Eventually, the fat in your middle will have no choice but to go too. Also remember that as you work out and gain muscle, that will weigh more than fat. Another five months and you will be down another 18lbs and you will see a huge difference then!!
  • dawn675
    Options
    I understand your frustration and I'm sure everyone has it. I have a pair of jeans that I love to wear. I've lost 5 pounds and was thinking about going down a size because they were too loose. However, I put them on yesterday and they were tight! WHAAT?! ugh! My ups and downs drive me crazy.
    I wish you lots of luck. Keep up the good work!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yes... you are on your way! :happy: Keep at it... Are you able to keep your sodium down? Maybe you are retaining? Just a thought here... :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on your loss! :drinker:
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    grimm.... hang in there!!! It will happen it just takes time. I too am only 5'3" when I started I was up to 175lbs... I'm now down to 139 and struggling to lose the last 9 to reach my goal. But it isn't always about what the scale says...

It will take time to see the difference. I think it took me about 6 months before I noticed anything.. the weight didn't get there overnight and it won't come off over night ... as bad as we would like it too. What kind of exercises are you doing? Cardio? Toning? weight training?

Don't get discouraged we are all here to help.... add me to your friend list if you would like... we can keep each other encouraged.

Angel
  • nsgrimm
    Options
    I really try to keep everything within range. Do you ever wonder where the 18lbs was lost from??? haha I am looking at my pictures thinking, hmmmm wonder where that 18 lbs actually came off from? Thanks for the motivation!

I am sorry that it's such a struggle for you to lose weight but I totally understand. I am doing 45 min of a Cheryl Burke dance workout and then I do walk/run for 45 min on the treadmill (most of it running) Am I doing something wrong with my workouts? Should I be concentrating on something else?

Thanks everyone!
  • iamalexa
    Options
    You could try doing intervals, and maybe different machines as well, your body will work harder and could help shed more pounds.

Your doing great though. Good luck!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You should measure your body and then you'll know exactly where the weight came off. Make up a chart and measure once a month. Measure your neck, your upper arms, your forearms, your wrists, your bust, your waist, hips, thighs, and calves. Inches mean a lot sometimes more so than the scale. I've been on a great program, Food Lovers Fat Loss system since October and I've lost 44 lbs in 4 months. I get to eat all my favorite foods all day long but they are the correct portions and cooked correctly as well. You might want to check out the program if you are frustrated. It just takes a little tweaking for the those nasty lbs to come flying off. foodlovers.com

Christine
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Every time I lose weight, I lose it from some place I would never expect. This time, the padding I had on my back decided to be the first to go... so I can't tell any difference between my starting weight and my current weight, except that my bras fit a lot better. And hey, I'll take that -- results are results! Any place where you can see some changes is a good thing... fitting better in the thighs may not seem like a big deal, but it IS an achievement -- feel good about it! :D
  • rosalie_g
    Options
    18 pounds is great!! I am also at an 18 pound loss and am always a little disappointed when i first start losing because I always lose it in my back and thighs first. I hate it because then I'm left looking like I'm 7 months pregnant up front. You'll get there just keep up the great job! Congrats again on your loss!! :bigsmile:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 18 pounds! It took me 30 pounds before (myself) and others could really notice my weight loss. It was very dicouraging! I hope that won't be the case for you though. :flowerforyou: Best of luck.
  • viliberty
    Options
    One thing we sometimes forget is that our bodies have "inner" fat. The fat attached to our heart and other organs. The "inside" fat may not be so visible, but the loss improves our health.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Earlier in my weight loss, I was frustrated too. I finally had an aha moment at the grocery store. I was looking at the apples. 3 5-pound bags of apples were sitting there. I realized that I had lost that much weight. Where could those apples have been on my body? It really put it into perspective for me. You could look at 1 lb cartons of butter or 5 pound bags of flour. Get 18 pounds of something and carry it around for a few min and you will realize what you have lost. Congrats on your loss.:flowerforyou:
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    First off a GREAT BIG CONGRATS on loosing 18 pounds - that is really awesome!! Have you been adding some strength training to your workouts? By adding strength training you will start toning problem areas and I think you will notice a difference - atleast I do in myself. If you want a simple strength training routine to add to your weekly routine I would recommend Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred - I got it at Walmart for $9. I would also include your cardio/aerobic work with it though because it's only like a 20min workout but a very intense 20min workout but she targets all the big "problem" areas including abs. Best wishes to you and Good Luck!
  • nsgrimm
    Options
    Thanks! I had thought about buying that but I also have the Boost Your Metabolism and it's REALLY hard, it's 45 or 50 minutes, I can't remember. 20 minutes would be much better...lol