BIG NSV - Too small to shop in Plus Size store

Options
I am now officially too small to shop in a plus size store. I went to buy new bras on the weekend and the lady at the store says I am one size too small to shop there for bras. I am also on the verge of not being able to buy clothes there anymore, I am at the smallest pant and shirt size they carry, so I won't be able to buy pants or tops there anymore.

Both are really good things but oddly enough I find them a little scary. I have shopped in plus size stores for so long now I don't know where I will start to shop. It was almost a bit of a safety net, shopping in plus size stores. I know this sounds silly and I should be happy but I am a little weirded out buy it.

Replies

• MsMeeLaFi
    MsMeeLaFi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the NSV! That's so much fun! Second, I get your discomfort but keep reminded yourself of the tons of possibilities out there now; you won't be as limited in your shopping and that is FUN!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! A big congrats to you!
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WOWZER....congrats to you!!!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Oh that is a great feeling!

Try to shop places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx for some clothes that you can fit into while you're still losing. Once you hit your goal weight, you can then invest more in your wardrobe.

Getting out of the plus sizes was a HUGE victory for me!
  • NewMnky1
    Options

Try to shop places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx for some clothes that you can fit into while you're still losing. Once you hit your goal weight, you can then invest more in your wardrobe.

Thanks, we actually just got Marshalls (I live in Canada) and I have't been in there yet so I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes!

I pass by Lane Bryant on occasion and remember my last bra fitting there. I feel your joy in being able to shop 'regular' clothing stores! Definitely a great NSV. =)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Thanks, we actually just got Marshalls (I live in Canada) and I have't been in there yet so I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. I bought a lot of my interim clothes there to tide me over until I got to my goal. They aren't great quality but they work and were cheap. I got a lot of shirts at Walmart and Sears also.

Good luck to you!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yay! So happy for you!

I know what you mean...I'm going through that uncomfortableness myself.

It's like..."What? I can fit into just a plain large now? Extra large is too big?"

I also got skinny jeans back in June which, no matter how much I wash and dry them...are still not small enough for me.

I used to NEVER dry my pants.

GOOD FOR YOU!
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes!

I pass by Lane Bryant on occasion and remember my last bra fitting there. I feel your joy in being able to shop 'regular' clothing stores! Definitely a great NSV. =)

Although I live in Canada I live close to the Boarder so that is where I would shop all the time (Lane Bryant) and the equivalent in Canada is Addition Elle, I will miss all my sales ladies LOL!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That makes me smile! SO happy for you!
  • paine016
    paine016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome for you. It will more than likely also open up the range of styles you can buy! Although I have to say that there are many more styles, and cute clothes, available now than when I was younger and fat (still fat now, just older too lol). To save money, I personally shop at thrift stores, knowing that any investment I make in clothing will be for naught. Buy cheap, donate back when I'm done.

I know what you mean about being a little nervous/uneasy about shopping in the non-plus stores, if you've been doing it most your life/adult life. It's a whole new world out there and that can be intimidating sometimes!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Huge pat on the back for you. Congrats on your success so far.
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    Yay! So happy for you!

It's like..."What? I can fit into just a plain large now? Extra large is too big?"

I also got skinny jeans back in June which, no matter how much I wash and dry them...are still not small enough for me.

GOOD FOR YOU!

Thanks, LOL, I know what you mean about drying clothes, I never used to dry my pants or tops (just in case they shrank) But now, other than dry clean only stuff, I dry everything.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! :D
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    congrats to you!
    I just bought my first pair of jeans that were not from the plus size section last weekend and it felt weird. lol

I also second the thrift shop/goodwill idea for buying clothes in the interim. That is where I have been getting my shirts lately. and I will be shopping for pants here soon too since the bigger ones are moving from roomy to downright dowdy.

Keep up the good work!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    amazing! thats a great NSV... I can't wait until thats me!
  • Mz_AnGeLic
    Options
    Thats awesome, congrats to u!!
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an amazing ahievement :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yay! So happy for you!

GOOD FOR YOU!

Thanks, LOL, I know what you mean about drying clothes, I never used to dry my pants or tops (just in case they shrank) But now, other than dry clean only stuff, I dry everything.

Yeah, it's great taking jeans out of a dryer and putting them on and they still fit! I mean, granted, there was some stretch to them (as skinny jeans tend to have), but don't ya think a dryer would immediately shrink the crap out of them?

Also, I like them warm and snuggly, especially on cold days like these. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!