Machine info vs. MFP exercise database info

Options
Has anyone else noticed a huge difference between the calories you've burned from what your machine says vs. what the exercise database on here says? I've been looking specifically at the elliptical machines. For example, a 20 minute workout from the machine says 175 calories burned but if I punch in a 20 min workout in MFP database is says 250 calories burned. Which one do I go with? Which one is right?

Thanks.

Replies

• NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Yes I have the same issue. I have a Yowza Captiva Elliptical which I love but it always says I burn less than MFP. E.g. my machine will say I burned 330 calories for 30 mins on the elliptical while MFP will show the calories burned in the high 300's. I don't know which is right but I always go by my mahcine or the lowest number and if it ends up being higher it is a bonus.
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    Yes I have the same issue. I have a Yowza Captiva Elliptical which I love but it always says I burn less than MFP. E.g. my machine will say I burned 330 calories for 30 mins on the elliptical while MFP will show the calories burned in the high 300's. I don't know which is right but I always go by my mahcine or the lowest number and if it ends up being higher it is a bonus.
  • NewMnky1
    Options

sorry for the double post, it didn't seem to save it the first time, but obviously it did.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Go with the machine vs. MFP. MFP is WAY over on the exercise calories. Better yet, if you can get an HRM that would be most accurate over the machines as well.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That's kind of what I was already thinking but wanted to double check.
  • sakthorp
    sakthorp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't trust our treadmill or our elliptical machine OR MFP. I wear a Polar watch with chest strap and feel it gives me the most accurate numbers to log.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    maybe my hrm monitor isn't very accurate either cause it reads pretty close to what mfp says. I usually only have to shave 5-10 minutes off my time to get it close.
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a heart rate monitor strapped to your chest, it isn't going to be accurate. MFP has CRAZY high burning and I think your machine is going to be closer.

Just what I've seen.
  • mrsyee313
    mrsyee313 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The elliptical I use at the gym is a cyber arc trainer, I do manual at 100%. In 60 minutes it says I burn 900 calories. MFP says 519. I suspect it's closer to 600 but I always use the Mfp number just to be safe. I wish you could rent a heart monitor for a week just to see how off your favorite machines are, and test a class or two. After that I double I would. Wear it so I am too cheap to get myself one.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I noticed it a while back!

Before I got my HRM I just took a note on my phone of what the machine read out was. Now I have a HRM I found even those were off! Only accurate information you'll get is a HRM I'm afraid D:
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I noticed it a while back!

Before I got my HRM I just took a note on my phone of what the machine read out was. Now I have a HRM I found even those were off! Only accurate information you'll get is a HRM I'm afraid D:
    ^^
    This
    I noticed MFP and usually the machines at the gym way overestimate
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Think I'll stick with the machine since it does seem like mfp is way high.