Who has had SUCCESS (lost 20+ pounds) by eating MORE??

Options
Ok, so I have been on 1200-1500 calories for the past 13 months and my main exercise has been walking fast or hiking trails for about 25 miles a week. Lost 74 pounds in the first 11 months. Been pretty much stuck since September...even with adding more intense hikes and some jogging.

I finally decided to up my calories to maintenance (TDEE) and gained 6 pounds over the weekend. I know this can happen...plus I ate all the salt I could find for 5 days...but...

I went back and read all the threads about eating more to weigh less, and the in place of a road map thing...and what stands out to me is that I see no one on there whose ticker shows significant losses when they do it. Even helloitsdan has not hit his goal. So I'm not sure it really works.

So here is where you people who have lost 20 pounds or more tell me that you did it on 1800 calories a day or more.

And did you eat clean, or did it work with the occasional emergency sausage mcmufiin? Lol

And if you did it, how long did it take you? Or what rate did you lose it? Is a pound a week reasonable?

Thanks! I need solid proof or I'm going to panic back into my 1500 calories and 4 mile hikes every day.

Edited to add my stats in case anyone wants to judge and comment or whatever... 5'9"...195 lbs...BMR around 1630...TDEE around 2300...body fat 33% (average from online calcs).

Replies

• zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft & my SW was 220lbs. I was eating around 1800 calories then (the goal MFP set for me). I didn't eat clean all the time, I never have done, lol. I just make meals fit into my calorie allowance, whether it's a fruit salad or a McDonald's!

I lost weight fairly quickly at first.. I was down 20lbs in less than 2 months. I did low-impact exercise (mainly Wii Fit) but I rarely burned more than 150 cals a day doing that.

As I lost weight my calories went down, obviously, and now at 169lbs I'm eating between 1400-1550 a day. I'm steadily losing about 1lb a week. I jog 2-3 times a week and walk every day, but I try to eat most of my exercise calories back as my weight tends to plateau if I don't.

I don't know if any of that helps, but good luck with the rest of your journey.. you've done amazingly well so far and I hope your weight loss picks up again!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    <----Here. I've lost 110 pound with eating more to weigh less. I'm 5' 8" and my start weight was 277 and I lost my first 100 in exactly 9 months. I eat clean for the most part but do enjoy having a splurge now and again.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I'm 6ft & my SW was 220lbs. I was eating around 1800 calories then (the goal MFP set for me). I didn't eat clean all the time, I never have done, lol. I just make meals fit into my calorie allowance, whether it's a fruit salad or a McDonald's!

I lost weight fairly quickly at first.. I was down 20lbs in less than 2 months. I did low-impact exercise (mainly Wii Fit) but I rarely burned more than 150 cals a day doing that.

As I lost weight my calories went down, obviously, and now at 169lbs I'm eating between 1400-1550 a day. I'm steadily losing about 1lb a week. I jog 2-3 times a week and walk every day, but I try to eat most of my exercise calories back as my weight tends to plateau if I don't.

I don't know if any of that helps, but good luck with the rest of your journey.. you've done amazingly well so far and I hope your weight loss picks up again!!

It's does help! Thank you!

I tend to not eat my exercise calories because my mathematical freak of a brain says greater deficit means faster loss. I guess I need to eat!
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    <----Here. I've lost 110 pound with eating more to weigh less. I'm 5' 8" and my start weight was 277 and I lost my first 100 in exactly 9 months. I eat clean for the most part but do enjoy having a splurge now and again.

You are such an inspiration! Are you still consistently losing?
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think what you will find is, trying to lose weight by mimicking someone else is going to lead to frustration. And if you want to try something like say.....eating more to weigh less. You are going to need to try it for at least a month to get good data. Just because someone else ate more calories and still lost weight doesn't mean you will. You must realize that your definition of an "intense hike" may be someone else stroll in the park.

My advice....change your work out.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight for a lot longer than I've been on MFP so I didn't know how much my calorie intake was for the first 8 months of my loss. What I've learned in the last 3 months is that I've consistently ate around 1800 calories every day the entire time and have not eaten my exercise calories back. I'm now down almost 39 lbs. It's taken 11 months to make it happen, but it works. I make healthy choices, but allow myself treats as well and most days I find I have room for a low cal treat without issue. I also think it's okay to go over on your calorie goal every once in awhile to give your body a slight 'shock'.

As for exercise, I lift weight 3 days/week and do aerobics 2-3 times per week. I've switched my workout routine around every so often, taking a week off of weight lifting and just doing aerobics as well as the other way. The best thing to do regarding exercise is to keep your body guessing as it can very easily get used to a workout which makes it less efficient.
  • holdondreamaway
    Options
    I've lost my weight by eating above bmr and eating back my exercise calories! I don't eat "clean", but I don't eat fast food. There is no emergency so dire that I have to eat McDonalds. The times when I was first starting out and ate below bmr were miserable, hungry, and my weight loss stalled. Every time this happened I upped my calories and went back to losing and happy. Every body is different and everybody is taking a different way to get places. I didn't always log or work out, I took breaks (for six months at one point, but I'm on that "last" twenty). Definitely try going to above bmr but below maintenance and maybe try eating back your work outs.

Here's how I think of it: I'm fueling a machine that is hard wired to hold onto fat for lean times. If I put it into starvation mode it will hold onto what it can. Once I give it enough it'll take a little time to get to normal metabolism, but then it'll allow for loss. Don't forget that you need nutrition to fuel your body and be healthy! How can you be getting that if you eat junk, below what your body needs to be in a resting state, and work out too?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some have made huge progress, some may not have logged in forever, but lots of people are eating more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/524791-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

You are such an inspiration! Are you still consistently losing?

I'm so very close to goal now that the weight has stalled. I'm continuing to see my body recomp with the workouts and so I'm not stressing these last 10 pounds very much. It will happen and if not, I'm ok with that too.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat above my BMR and below my TDEE. I've had a few hiccups recently but I've done really well with my intake and improved fitness. I feel energized and strong. I hope you find that it works for you too. It does take lots of patience to do it this way, in my opinion. This way of eating and living is more about fat loss than weight loss. (I lift weights and eat a 30% protein diet). I definitely feel like at this point, if I had to, I have the tools to successfully maintain my weight for a lifetime and I don't see that changing the better my fitness improves.

I would suggest learning about body recomposition. As you will see in many success threads, some amazing people haven't lost a single pound but are to be commended on their incredible fitness! Again, their goal was a look and they achieved it, and their tickers didn't move.
  • sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat atleast 1700 (usually more) everyday and have lost 75 lbs since being here. I agree with the above user, this way of doing things is more about lifestyle. It's slower and sometimes inconsistent (most months I loose 10 lbs, some months I just maintain), but I'm also toning and building muscle so I don't know if the scale is a good indicator. I've gone down from a 24 plus size women's pant to a 12. What works for me, is that it's more feasible. I'm not hungry, I know all of my organs have the ability to function at high capacity because although I'm eating a deficit, I'm giving my body enough fuel to do it's job. I know for a fact I would be down more if I ate clean. I struggle with that but I guess I could say that most days I just choose not to. I would check out some groups, and there are a few users I could point out who have lost LOTS by eating more and raising their caloric goal over time rather than reducing. And frankly, they all look GREAT!
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you ignore the past week I have lost 40 pounds over 4 months eating about 1700+ calories a day. MFP started me in the mid 1700s but since I work out in the eve and cannot guarentee when I get to teh gym, I found I was having a lot of calories to eat at the end of the day. So I changed to eating close to BMR, I should be eating 2000 for those who say never eat below bmr. But I cannot consistantly eat that much. I do not eat back my exercise calories and it is working for me.

The past week was busy so I only averaged 1500 to 1600 a day and hardly any exercise. And the scale says I lost over 7 pounds. Now keep in mind I did not eat a traditional holiday meal. I am back to the gym today and am amking sure I get as close to my daily goal of 1800 as I can.

Stay at teh higher calories at least a couple more weeks to see if things don't reverse and you start losing again. Instead of eating at TDEE try TDEE minus 20% and not eating back the exercise calories unless you have a huge burn. You could also try changng your exercise but not both or you won't know what worked for you.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I eat 1500-1900, try to keep my net 1400-1700. I was actually plateaued when I was eating 1200- for WHILE. Oh, and I was hungry. Started losing again when I upped my intake and I am MUCH nicer to be around! ;) This- I can maintain.

35sh lbs down since June 1, 2011. Half way there.

My face- Thanksgiving this year vs last yr:

4sh2ps.jpg
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I eat 1830 calories a day and have been eating at least 1600 - 1700 since my first 20 pounds down, I just started the New rules of lifting for women though so I'm not super concerned with the scale. I just want to drop pants sizes. Saying that people's tickers don't move when they eat more may be true, but reference the following thread that I just saw earlier... I don't need to lose pounds if I can lose fat and you can't keep your muscle mass if you don't feed your body enough. I don't want to lose muscle!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804657-going-from-sh-t-to-fit
  • bonniebonbon
    bonniebonbon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Lost most of my last 20 lbs by eating at 1800-2000 a day, exercising light to moderate at the time.
    My diet then is as it is now: I eat chocolate, I eat meat, yoghurt, ice cream, cake, cookies, soda.. But also veggies, fruit, things that are good for you. I make most unhealthy stuff at home so i know what's in it, and it's usually a damn sight better for you.
    Lifting weights is important when losing so you retain muscle mass. Really wish I knew that before I'd almost done. Now I'm at TDEE (and occasionally over, trying for a small bulk) before cutting calories in the Spring.
  • lindseym1983
    Options
    bump, and I am sooo glad to read this. I have been working out and eating not a lot of food most days. I started back 10 days ago with a cpl day of IT, and lost a cpl pounds then started eating barely 1200 a day if I was lucky. Wasn't trying to starve myself just wasn't hungry and I started gaining weight. Started eating more this week and lost the few lbs I gained. Need to force myself to eat more I suppose b/c I want the weight coming off not back on after I have given up all the bad foods and started back hard at the gym.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 # - only 8 more to go. I've been working on losing weight since the end of September. About 20# of my loss may be attributed to TDEE - 20% (IPORM). In that time I also had to take 4 weeks off from exercising due to a couple of serious illnesses.

Keep in mind that just because people haven't reached their goal yet, doesn't mean they haven't been successful. We didn't gain the weight over night, and we're certainly not going to lose it over night either.

TDEE - 20% isn't for everyone, but it's done great things for me. :smile:
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Just wanna add that you are likely to see an initial gain going from low calorie to a higher calorie one, and that measurements taking is key. I've gained about 4 pounds since eating at TDEE, for example, and yet, no inches.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!