Does anyone use Wii for excercise?

Options
I do not have a Wii, but am looking into one for exceercise and fun. Does anyone here use the Wii console and programs available? If so, which programs do you like. I see that there is a Jillian set available, amongst others. Interested in the pro's and con's, thanks.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    is there a gym near you?
  • lisahamann
    lisahamann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do use my Wii for exercise quite often. I use Wii Fit to keep me motivated. I do the sweat challenges on Just Dance as well. (That's a good one to do with my daughter because she thinks we're just playing, but Momma has other goals in mind.) I haven't purchased any of the other workout discs yet, but I may in the future.

Good luck to you!
  • jhunny31
    Options
    When it first came out we brought the wii fit that came with a scale and one game that had boxing, tennis, a really cool "ure in a video game" type game, etc. As much as I enjoyed it playing it the week of Christmas it didn't have me motivated enough to continue. It got really boring, but I bet if I popped it in now I'd have fun. So I'm a little skeptical on whether or not it works. I suppose if you stick with it, sure you'll see results.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Wii fit and wii sports resort are what gets used most often in my house. I find it fun, but mostly use it when I can't get outside for a walk. Anything that gets you moving is a good thing.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii frequently. Mostly I use EA Sports Active (more workouts) and I love it!! If you push yourself you can really get your heart pumping!

There is a new Sports Active 2.0 that comes with a HRM and additional/different workouts too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The EA Sports Active 2 is a good workout and I like Gold's Gym Cardio Workout for a boxing type game. Wii Fit, Sports, etc are fun but you aren't going to get much of a workout from them.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii a few times a week, especially when I can't get to the gym, or decide not to go for some reason. I use the Wii Fit Plus and the Wii Sports the most, but I've also played with an older Jillian Michaels and some of the dance ones. Anything you do to keep moving instead of being a couch potato is a good thing.
    Wii Fit, Sports, etc are fun but you aren't going to get much of a workout from them.
    I can still definitley get a good workout on the Wii (I use an HRM). It depends on your fitness level. Wii Tennis gave me a good workout when I first started, but now that I'm more fit it doesn't get my heart rate up enough. I bought a platform for the balance board to sit on - it raises the board by about 4" so you get a better workout on any of the games where you're stepping on and off the platform like Step, Boxing, etc. My usual Wii Workout generally burns anywhere from 300-500 calories.

And there's nothing saying that exercise has to be boring!
    I was playing with one of the running programs and one of my Wii friends came running up beside me. "How nice!" I thought, until my Wii friend tripped and fell on his face! I started laughing so hard I had to stop the program!

And I love using the Wii Juggling on the Wii Fit Plus to cool down.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the wii fit game. My favorite game on there is the hula hoop & step. Of course, I know that step game doesn't burn a whole lot of calories, it's fun to try to beat your goal each time. I have a Jillian Michael's game, but I'm not too keen on it. I want to get The Biggest Loser Challenge game & the Just Dance games are fun, if you like to dance. I also have Zumba.

I use it for fun mostly, but it is a good way to get moving, even if it's just a little. It's better than sitting on the couch.