Is it bad to go over on your protien

shellee9tj
shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it bad to go over on your target protien intake for the day?

Replies

• nlagrone
    nlagrone Posts: 8 Member
    Sorry I'm no help...I've been wondering the same thing.
  • brentnliz
    brentnliz Posts: 1 Member
    I've been wondering the same thing?! Can anyone out there help us? Some days I am under my calories but way over on protein.
  • nope not really, protein is used for muscle growth so im pretty sure its fine to go over it a bit
  • no infact if you are to go over on any this would be the best, calories from protein are digested the quickest plus if your like me after loosing weight but not muscle its worth to go over everyday
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    It is my understanding (from other threads, you should search for them, they are very informative!) that the suggested protein on MFP is on the low side, and many people change their protein goal based on trainer, nutionist or dr recommendation. So I figure if I go over on protein, it's not a big deal. There are people who should be careful about going over. This includes people who have kidney problems, or are susceptable to kidney stones.
  • Hmmmmm..........
  • No it isn't bad (it would be if it was fat or carbs, lol). I go over on my protein nearly every day and I am still losing weight. You need protein especially when working out to build muscle. MFP appears to be a little low on their percentage. Shoot for lean protein and you're good to go!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Well- according to non-academic magazines (meaning not completely scientific!) one can actually lose more weight if they eat more good sources of protein and less of other types of calories- this is probably especially true if you are building muscle- those muscles need the protein.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.