Too much protein

Options
I always seem to go over on my protein allowance, what does this mean? What does protein do to your body and will this stop me losing weight?

Replies

• raffer
    Options
    it will help first of all protein helps build and repair muscle the more muscle you have the more cals you burn off when doing an activity, your calories from protein are burnt off first so i would recomend you go over on these and lower on your carbs and fats
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always go over on protein as well. The RDA suggests you to consume around 36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day. If you go WAY over on protein, it could cause some issues with your kidneys, but it would have to be a pretty large amount - otherwise, your body needs protein for every day functions, plus it is necessary to help repair and rebuild muscle tissue after workouts. Whatever extra may be left unused is usually discarded in our urine. There are several articles on the internet regarding protein. The only way you'll gain weight is if you take in more calories than you expend - no matter if the calories come from proteins, carbs, or fat. Hope this helps!

Tina
  • tinasullens
    Options
    Actually, our bodies burn off the calories from carbohydrates first, then fat, then proteins.
  • viliberty
    Options
    This may not apply in this discussion, but If a person is diabetic, the amount of protein can be important. The kidneys are at risk and already working hard with diabetes. Be sure and check with your diabetes team for the proper amount.
  • tinasullens
    Options
    This may not apply in this discussion, but If a person is diabetic, the amount of protein can be important. The kidneys are at risk and already working hard with diabetes. Be sure and check with your diabetes team for the proper amount.

Good point!