Running in the rain

Options
A couple of questions for you lovely running people of MFP
They are as follows:

-Am running at a 9 minute mile pace, cant seem to increase this, legs just give out or i run out of breath- any suggestions?
-Went for a run in the rain today, got wet feet, socks rubbed- got blisters- any suggestions as to how to stop this?

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They are as follows:

-Am running at a 9 minute mile pace, cant seem to increase this, legs just give out or i run out of breath- any suggestions?
    -Went for a run in the rain today, got wet feet, socks rubbed- got blisters- any suggestions as to how to stop this?

1. You are running too fast for your conditioning level. In general, you need to go farther to go faster. How long have you been running? And when you say out of breath, do you mean like gasping for air, or normal exercise exertion out of breath? The former means you are running too fast, the latter is to be expected. Go look at hte McMillan calculator. It can help you calculate some pace stuff for different runs-long, tempo, speed, intervals, etc.

2. Dont wear cotton socks. I wear my smart wool socks in the rain, they have never given me blisters. And I started running in the PNW so ran in rain A LOT.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    They are as follows:

1. You are running too fast for your conditioning level. In general, you need to go farther to go faster. How long have you been running? And when you say out of breath, do you mean like gasping for air, or normal exercise exertion out of breath? The former means you are running too fast, the latter is to be expected. Go look at hte McMillan calculator. It can help you calculate some pace stuff for different runs-long, tempo, speed, intervals, etc.

2. Dont wear cotton socks. I wear my smart wool socks in the rain, they have never given me blisters. And I started running in the PNW so ran in rain A LOT.

That's spot on.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They are as follows:

couldnt have said it better myself
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ^ One more yep!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Renewedrunner pretty much said it. Try slowing down and running farther. Distance begets speed. Also, think of doing some leg strengthing stuff, lunges, squats, running hills or stairs.
    I too run in the Pacific Northwest so the comments about better socks, pretty much it. Ran through calf deep puddles this weekend, no blisters. Good shoes and socks.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    The above is spot on. For rain, I'd say go sockless and try 5 fingers. I run completely barefoot now as I have the luxury of being near the beach, but I use 5 fingers on pavement.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks muchly, will look into getting wool socks! Looked at 5 fingers, will look again when the bank balance is healthier :-)

Tis not gasping for breath type breathless, I slow down before I get to that point but it is usually imminent so i guess i should slow down a bit :-)

Adding lunges and squats etc into my routine

Many thanks lovely people :bigsmile:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    One other thing about your pace... about 80% of your mileage should be done at a pace where you can easily have a conversation with someone. If you're running faster than that, you're going to fast. It's not to say you can't run some speed work, but in order to gain endurance/stamina and see speed gains over time, you should actually run slower.

Look up heart rate training... the idea is you set your HR goal to 70% max (or 75%)... aerobic anyway... and then keep running with that HR. Over time, you'll get faster with your HR staying the same. It's pretty cool...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I concur on good socks! I dropped a lot of cash on Lululemon running socks. I've NEVER had any blisters or other issues!! Quality makes a difference.