fitting in my workouts

Options
Ok so I was wondering how you guys and girls fit in your workout to your busy schedules?? I have two kids ages 5 and 1 and a half and on most days find that there aren't enough hours in the day.

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Youtube cardio workouts, or HIIT workouts or strength training etc.
    They're usually only 20 minutes long and are quite effective if you find one that you like and works for you!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't have little ones anymore, but I worked out back when I did as well. I joined a gym with a child activity center so that I had someone to watch my son while I worked out in the evening. I'm a single mom so I didn't have a spouse at home to watch him while I went. Now that he's older and I work closer to home/my gym I have more freedom so I now go to the gym early morning before work for weight training and then on my way home from work I go for aerobics classes (not every day). I find that I still get home for 6:00 so we either eat leftovers on those days or I make something for supper that's a little less labour intensive.

I have friends who work out at home as they can't get away and other friends who have joined family friendly gyms like the YMCA. If we want something bad enough, we will make it happen one way or another.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IME, I don't "fit them in".

I either make time or I don't. When it's important to me, I make time. When it's not, I make excuses.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I find waking up super early, before anyone else is awake; It's a good time to have "me" time. It's a good time to workout and you get it out of the way before you even start your day! There are tons of at-home workouts out there, if you can't make it to a gym.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    IME, I don't "fit them in".

I either make time or I don't. When it's important to me, I make time. When it's not, I make excuses.

This exactly. I make time for it b/c it is important to me. I have 3 young boys, and work a full time job. Working out is like brushing my teeth - it's non-negotiable. I either get up at 5am to workout (while my boys are still sleeping and husband is home), or I will skip lunch - eat at my desk - and run during lunch hour. Weekends I run first thing in the morning while my husband watches the kids. It's me time and my husband knows better than to take it away from me!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Get a pedometer... And walk 10,000 steps a day.

Also... late night Youtube exercise videos. Yoga. Wii Fit. These are just a few suggestions....
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have 6 kids,2 of which are 9 month old twins. I make the time
  • lizajoan
    Options
    If you can stand it, do it before the rest of the household gets out of bed. Not only do you get your workout in but you get some alone time too!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When your health and fitness become important enough to you, you will have time.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:45 am, drink a protein shake and eat some fruit, drink some coffee while I check my twitter feed and take a dump, and hit the gym by 5:15.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    1. Before everyone wakes up; or
    2. After everyone goes to bed.

I have two kids and I'm in the office 45 hours a week + travel time. I tried getting up at 4am to get my workout in, but didn't feel like I was getting much out of them because I wasn't putting enough into them that early in the morning. I now workout around 9pm after my kids are asleep and the dishes, etc., are done.

When you believe you're worth it, you'll make the time. Trust me. :smile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have to do it first thing in the morning. If I wait until after work, I risk something coming up that will keep me from working out. You don't have to work out for hours. Tons of workouts on youtube, and tabata is FOUR MINUTES. You can do something, trust me. Oops, not to copy what Marnie said, but yeah. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Give be 25 minutes of your day, a suspension trainer and a jump rope. I'll get you fit, assuming your diet is good.
  • mica06
    mica06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, i will try working out in the am and see how that goes. But do i need to eat something before i exercise