Clothes in different sizes ~ just in case?

Options
Hi there,
I have a problem throwing out clothes, In case I need bigger clothes again etc. My cycle of losing gaining being fit then unfit means I have probably 4 different sizes in my wardrobe. Do you think I am setting myself up to fail by hanging on to them? I know it probably sounds stupid, because it is, but what do you think?

Thoughts and advice please ????

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I would toss them, or donate them.. My mom says I should hold them in case I gain weight but there is no way, I am gonna gain any of this weight back..

If you have them, you might be tempted to just go up one size instead of watching your weight...
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always kept my old clothes in the past, larger and smaller. I recently went through all of the smaller clothes because they are out of style and let's face it, I deserve new ones! Additionally I started throwing out all of the big ones so that I have no where to go...it felt great! :smile:
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I dont think having different size clothing around will set you up to fail, however, that clutter would make me crazy. Right now my size twelves are awaiting salvation army pickup because im gonna need that closet space when i buy clothes to fit skinny new me.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Make room for new skinny clothes!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before and kept my fat clothes. BIG MISTAKE. Before I knew it, I was wearing them again.

This time I'm tossing them ALL the fat clothes and buying new. Then I have no choice but to keep the weight off.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Last year I started to regain and had to get back off my butt because I got rid of all the clothes a size bigger. It was enough to motivate me to get back on track.
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your mentality. If you're the type of person who will look at them and go "Oh my god! I can't believe I used to wear that! NO WAY! Never again!" then it's fine. Or if you simply want a pair of trophy pants to show off such progress. :P These are my motives.

If you, however, like Guamybear said, might look at them someday and go "Weeelllllllll, it won't hurt TOO much if I go up one size... I've earned the treats, after all. I'll still look good." then you're potentially on a slippery slope. :P

So it's entirely up to how you view it. :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If they're too big, toss 'em!
  • brittanyholocker
    brittanyholocker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would definitely toss them-the sooner the better! Knowing that the only way you have left to go is to a smaller size should help motivate you to keep pushing through. Plus, keeping them around not only takes up space, but it provides you with an easy plan B. Throw them out and don't look back!
  • boji4ever
    boji4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Fat clothes, normal clothes and my skinny clothes...in 3 closets! What I have tried to do is take the extreme away - I only keep clothes that are 1-2 sizes bigger or smaller than where I am now. I know I will fluctuate over time, but I'm never going to be down to the size I was when I got married, nor am I going to gain to the point I was my heaviest. But there is a sense of security keeping them, that it may be "ok" to go up slightly...which is why I do try to limit them.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If I make it to a size 8, I will keep (but pack away) my clothes up to size 12 and give the larger away. I would hope I would never need them again, but in the lines of human nature it has happened to me before. If I gain those two 2 sizes again I KNOW it is time to take action, but least I won't be spending money on yet another wardrobe.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't keep them. I've been tending to keep clothes just ONE size up around for a little while just to give myself some wiggle room, but EVERYTHING above that is GONE. I don't even have anything smaller than what I am now, because I have never been this small in my entire adult life, and I am not going to ever go back to the size I was. But I think keeping a FEW things in one size larger, for ME, is a smart thing, ONLY until I lose enough for the things I am wearing now to be loose. Then I rinse and repeat with the next size or two down. lol...
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would totally get rid of the clothes that are too big for you. If you hang on to them then that means you think you will fail and gain all your weight back. You can't think of it as, "I might gain my weight back so I will hang on to my old clothes" It has to be all or nothing. DO NOT GO ON A DIET!!! Make a decision to eat healthy and be healthy for the rest of your life and you will never have to wear the fat clothes again. If you get rid of them then you will have more of a reason to stay healthy (besides the obvious). Clothes are expensive so who wants to go buy bigger clothes so they can eat a double bacon extra cheese grease burger and large fries with a small diet coke.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. I may not have made the commitment to lose weight this time if I had bigger clothes I could wear. I didn't want to buy new ones, so I made a point to lose weight so my clothes were comfortable again.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I chucked all of my bigger sized stuff out. In my opinion, if it's there it's a little bit like a fall back plan.

Also, if I've got rid of the stuff it's like I'm throwing away the past and making room for the future. Why hold onto things that belonged to the old you, the you that you felt you needed to change?

I did hold on to my old rugby stuff from when I was in my fitter days. I guess I told them that I'd be back to reclaim them and now I have. I'm not nuts, I swear.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've only dropped one size so far, but I had one pair of jeans that I decided to keep for lazy days or what have you. I can't even wear them now they fall off, but I'm keeping the one pair to have a comparison. I think once I'm good and truly in the next size down, I won't keep any of the higher sizes.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have always had clothing in different sizes (from size 4 to size 14!). I keep the larger sizes in the attic and can't seem to get rid of them, but I haven't worn over a size 10 in over 10 years. It doesn't really affect me one way or the other. I never even think about them. Personally, I think that attitude and determination are what's important to keeping the weight off, but that's just me. Whatever works for you, that's what you should do. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I put all mine in garbage bags and put them in the back of the closet. I've been up and down the scale all my life. Hopefully i will never need them again but................just in case, i kept them. It doesn't have any effect on whether i gain again. I'm not going to say " Oh well, i have the clothes, so i can eat and get fat again". But if i do i will have them. With any luck they will stay there forever.
    Good Luck to you and me too!:flowerforyou:
  • KamalBhai
    KamalBhai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @kathryn
    If you do not want to toss them off then you must keep them out of your eyesight. May be a place in your home where you do not look often. It will help you to not to think of those big size clothes often.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I plan as I go down to get rid of most of it I want to keep things to show where I was and where I am now trying to stay positive since I have not had any weight loss in 3 weeks:(