2»

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    and yes couch to 5 k is a must :) week 6 day 2 here
  • ilyenacerise
    Options
    Really appreciate all the replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I just always thought I came under that category of 'not a runner'.

I tried without the incline tonight and managed 15 minutes at 8km/h, with a couple of minute bursts of 8.5km/h thrown in. It was A LOT better. I still got a bit of a sore throat, but it was far more manageable than it has been. And it did get better as the run went on, I guess I just really have to push through the bad bit.

I did try the Couch to 5k last year, but fell off track and started thinking I should try something else. The plan I've currently got is from the Bupa Great Run website (they operate lots of mass participation runs in the UK for anyone not from here). I've been honest about my ability but it does seem to be ramping up faster than the Couch to 5k one did. Maybe I should go back to it.

Next question: at the moment I'm doing about 60 mins of cardio in total during my gym sessions, but I'm wondering if I should cut this down, just run for cardio most gym sessions and switch to a bit of weight training to burn the extra calories. I don't know whether all the extra cardio is stopping me from getting on with my running? What do people think?

Honestly I wish I'd joined this earlier, it's so much better being able to ask questions than hunt around for an answer!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know that the extra cardio will hurt you but I do think that running and strength training are a good combination. I personally don't do any other cardio than running, unless it's riding my stationary bike on days I don't or can't run.