Lifting Programs

Hi all,
I've been alternating 6 days a week of cardio and lifting with sometimes (ok alot) of doubling up of cardio and weights in one session. Probably not good but I enjoy it.
I'm apprehensive at this stage to give up any sort of cardio but I am willing to try if i can find a good enough plan that appeals.
Can anyone recommend a good program to follow for women? I have a gym membership- hate working out at home so if possible do not recommend dvd's etc, just doesn't work for me, love my gym time.
Have been using Michelle Bridges: Advanced Lean and Strong plans. But not sure I am convinced with the structure of it e.g: Legs,shoulders, chest and biceps in one whole day, seems like alot of muscle groups to be working each day though and 5 days a week. But I am sort of new to this, so any sort of advice will be taken aboard.
:happy:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    New rules of lifting for women
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    BUMP. I'm doing 30 minutes of strength with 45-60 minutes of cardio 4x/week plus 1 day of all cardio. I know it's too much, but I'm afraid that if I stop running, the fat will catch up. :)
  • BUMP. I'm doing 30 minutes of strength with 45-60 minutes of cardio 4x/week plus 1 day of all cardio. I know it's too much, but I'm afraid that if I stop running, the fat will catch up. :)

I do cardio for mostly the same reason even though I know it's ludicrous haha but I also do it to relieve some stress. I think i'd go bonkers without it!
  • Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    Thankyou..
  • Jamie Eason Livefit
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Bump! I want to know!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    I will second a vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Nice to not feel dependent on cardio, love feeling stronger and am consistently losing weight and inches.

Good luck whatever you decide on!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    bodybuilding.com has a Find a Plan section.

I have completed Jamie Eason's plan and am currently trying out Lee Labrada's. Both of those were 12 week plans that give weight training and cardio workouts.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    For somebody who wants to get more into strength, I totally recommend the stronglifts program. You can find it at www.stronglifts.com

It's a simple program where you only do three exercises / workout and you focus on the major compound lifts (squats, press, rows, and dead lifts), which target all the major muscle groups as well as the stabilizing muscles that many machines often neglect.

At least at the beginning, it's a relatively short workout that shouldn't take too much more than half an hour to complete. The duration will increase as you start moving into heavier weights and you need longer rests. But at least at the beginning it will be fast going, you can focus on form and just kill it!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    If you're already lifting, I wouldn't recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought it and realized I already know most of what's in the book. Also, it depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to focus on more on building muscle, or losing weight? I've been told multiple times that cardio is never a bad thing, as long as you do it in moderation. Don't run for miles on end after a lifting session. Limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. And on non-lifting days, go hog wild with the cardio. :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Stronglifts
    Starting Strength

^^this
  • If you're already lifting, I wouldn't recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought it and realized I already know most of what's in the book. Also, it depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to focus on more on building muscle, or losing weight? I've been told multiple times that cardio is never a bad thing, as long as you do it in moderation. Don't run for miles on end after a lifting session. Limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. And on non-lifting days, go hog wild with the cardio. :drinker:
    I'm trying to lose fat and wanting to achieve a nice feminine shape without the skinny fat look that more often than not cardio bunnies get.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Stronglifts
    Starting Strength

^^this

Thirded. Good stuff here.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    If you're already lifting, I wouldn't recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought it and realized I already know most of what's in the book. Also, it depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to focus on more on building muscle, or losing weight? I've been told multiple times that cardio is never a bad thing, as long as you do it in moderation. Don't run for miles on end after a lifting session. Limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. And on non-lifting days, go hog wild with the cardio. :drinker:
    I'm trying to lose fat and wanting to achieve a nice feminine shape without the skinny fat look that more often than not cardio bunnies get.
    if you want to lose fat lifting burns more carbs and fat than cardio does so id recommend doing a little more lifting type stuff like weighted lunges, squats, and things like that
  • dare2love81

Honestly...I tend to always lean more towards the "lift heavy" mentality. Cardio has a place, and is beneficial on building up endurance and obviously is good for the heart. But you'll get a lot more benefits from focusing on lifting. Just my opinion though. Lifting will definitely help you lose fat, and will change your body composition for sure.

Body weight exercises are also great at building muscle, and if you add dumbbells or kettle bells you'll also get some cardio in too.
  • If you're already lifting, I wouldn't recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought it and realized I already know most of what's in the book. Also, it depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to focus on more on building muscle, or losing weight? I've been told multiple times that cardio is never a bad thing, as long as you do it in moderation. Don't run for miles on end after a lifting session. Limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. And on non-lifting days, go hog wild with the cardio. :drinker:
    if you want to lose fat lifting burns more carbs and fat than cardio does so id recommend doing a little more lifting type stuff like weighted lunges, squats, and things like that

I still lift 5 times a week but I also still do cardio 6 days a week. I'm just wanting a solid plan.
  • dare2love81

I still lift 5 times a week but I also still do cardio 6 days a week. I'm just wanting a solid plan.

Your other option would be investing in a reputable trainer to write you a plan. Costly, yes. But it would be tailored to you.