Want to run? DO IT! Some crappy advice from a newbie.

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You had me at "High off my *kitten*".

This.

Love Runner's World, btw.

Me to! I think I'm getting a subscription for Christmas; fingers crossed!
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    great post- bump
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Great post. The C25K is what got me started running back in 2009. Now I do 3 miles daily runs every morning before work with long runs (9 miles avg) on the weekends.

I feel every new runner should make an appointment with their doctor to get a thorough checkup, including a nutritional analysis done. I was recently diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency, even though, as a vegetarian, I consumed a lot of dairy and soy products. After correcting the deficiency, my run speeds have increased exponentially.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful post. I did the couch to 5k almost two years go and now I can run for as long as I want to. And, yes, I get that runners high. I love and need to do it more.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    This is wonderful post. I did the couch to 5k almost two years go and now I can run for as long as I want to. And, yes, I get that runners high. I love and need to do it more.

I call it 'chasing the dragon' lol. It's like any drug, you develop a tolerance and need to do more of it to get the same high.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks. I also love that posture video!

I had a lot of excuses why I wasn't a runner. It hurts my joints, I have weak knees, it's boring, it's bad for you. Well it was mostly BS and my knees don't hurt anymore. Obviously running isn't for everyone and it's not necessary to be in amazing shape but if you really want to do something there's no good reason not to. Thanks emtjmac :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    great job! so glad you stuck with it.
  • LatteFix
    Options
    Haha ur my inspiration :) my knees hurt too and I have to run with a knee guard to do 5km
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This is not crappy advice at all, it is great. I am on week 4 and the 5 min run feel like some special punishment meted out by the Gods of pain but I keep going .... which is all I can do :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fabulous stuff - well done.
    Was all set to start C25K this month, but re-damaged my knee so like a mean game of snakes and ladders, down to the beginning again.
    Getting an HRM for Xmas, and back at the start of my Physio's original programme from next month, so my New Year's goal is to start C25K in my lightest of the three sessions, and stick to the physio's regime the other two - just to mix things up for my body and to push myself a bit.

Inspiring story, and great loss for you, and well done again.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks so much.:smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I need to try this one day.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Been running since April. I put in 30-45 miles per week, have done 2 HM and a bunch of smaller races. Everyone keeps talking about the runner's high....I have yet to experience it :'(. But i love running anyways.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Been running since April. I put in 30-45 miles per week, have done 2 HM and a bunch of smaller races. Everyone keeps talking about the runner's high....I have yet to experience it :'(. But i love running anyways.

Great mileage! I'm at 20-22 miles per week right now but my goal is 35-40 per week.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I've always found running to be a complete misery, even before I got overweight. But I've always kind of wanted to be a runner. This Autumn I've finally decided to do something about it. I've only been running twice but even that has been huge for me. This post really gave me a confidence boost and I'm gonna run again tomorrow. So thanks again and congrats on your weight loss success so far! :)
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is very cool. Thank you!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options

Oh I am so with you! I have ran one HM and am currently training for my second and have ran tons of races in between...and I have never experienced this "runner's high" actually I love everything to do with running, except for when I'm actually running :) I'm hooked on races (no I'm not fast, but I love the experience, give me a 5K for charity, a mud run or a HM I love them all!)
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started out 3 months ago at 375 ... Im now down to 325 and just finished c25k. Mind you I did timed not distance so I will do it again untill I get better. Im attempting my first 5k in about 3 weeks. I felt alot like you at first and just did it now im hooked.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!